Fishing trip - Orere point

The Waikato Kayak Fishing Club forum for club and member discussions
Smitty
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi everyone, following on from our recent club newsletter, we have a fishing day planned for Orere point on 16 Sept. I will update this post next week once we have a view on weather, if its not looking good we will look at an alternate spot or defer to the following week.

Aim will be to get out for an early morning start and perhaps have a meeting time after lunch for those that want to meet for a beer at the Kaiaua pub.

Will keep in touch.

Cheers
Smitty

Smitty

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi Guys,

We have this Saturday earmarked for a fishing day at Orere. Still a bit early to predict a weather forecast but currently forecasting Westerly 10-13 knots and a swell/chop of around 0.5 meters. So its not looking too bad but not great either. I'll update again on Wednesday night, in the meantime if your contemplating coming along subject to weather let me know so I have a rough idea on numbers, or if the following weekend suits you better which was our fall back let me know.

My plan will be to leave Hamilton around 6am and ideally off the water early afternoon. I also have room for another person/yak if anyone wants a lift.

Cheers
Smitty

Smitty

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Guys,

I have received no response/interest regarding this weekend. Forecast has deteriorated a bit and with potential showers (whats new!) I am minded to defer to our fall back date of next weekend and take the chance we get a better day, tide will probably suit better next week too.

Cheers
Smitty

williamthegrate
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 440
VHF Call Sign: zmw9429

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Smitty wrote:Guys,

I have received no response/interest regarding this weekend. Forecast has deteriorated a bit and with potential showers (whats new!) I am minded to defer to our fall back date of next weekend and take the chance we get a better day, tide will probably suit better next week too.

Cheers
Smitty
Lol i was keen

Sent from my SM-G5308W using Tapatalk

Smitty

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:40 pm

williamthegrate wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:24 pm
Smitty wrote:Guys,

Cheers
Smitty
Lol i was keen

Sent from my SM-G5308W using Tapatalk
Sorry mate, I hadn't heard from anyone so assumed no-one was interested although I had an e-mail Friday night from someone else wondering if anyone was going out. Anyway, wind was pretty gusty in town on Saturday with some heavy showers so I'm thinking it was maybe the right call to not head out. Hopefully things will shape up better this week.

Typhoon
Kayak Make: Fishmaster
Kayak Model: Elite4

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Hopefully weather is going to be a little kind to us this weekend, as looking at some of the fishing pages on facebook there are plenty being caught, hope to meet a few new like minded people

Smitty

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Guys, weather is looking pretty favourable for Saturday morning at this stage, unless it deteriorates I will be planning an early Saturday morning start. I'll update with a post tomorrow on updated forecast, times (I would like to be on the road no later than 6am), VHF channel etc.

Smitty

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Still looks like there is a good weather window Saturday morning before wind picks up in the afternoon, swellmap predicts 7-8 kt SW at 9am, building from there to 14 kts in the afternoon.

I plan to be on the road between 5.30-6.0am. Will be on channel 8 for VHF. If you want to contact/text before hand 027 6878802, or at home 8543737.

Let me know who is going, would be good to know numbers and if it works out we can perhaps meet up for a beer on the way home. Ideally I would like to be off the water early afternoon, or earlier if I have my limit (this rarely happens!) :D .

Smitty

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm

My new prototype scute (scoot??) to try out
Attachments
IMG_0526.JPG

Typhoon

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm keen, been chewing at the bit to get some fishing in

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 am

SW wind on an out going after 9pm, the drift is going to suck big time...

Typhoon

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am

Get there early drift in with the incoming, tie up to the farms, then drift back after we have caught a feed, or at least give it a crack

Smitty

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Hmmm, might take the anchor.

Typhoon I'll give you a call after I get home and get sorted tonight.

Smitty

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Guys, Typhoon and I have just had a catch up and decided to change plans and fish from Kaiaua up by the farms. Will let you know how we get on.

Cheers
Jason

Smitty

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:25 am

Bit of a game of two halves yesterday. We were on the water 7am and headed for the farms and tied up without any action at all. I even tried sitting behind the mussel barge that was working and nothing. After the tide turned we started drifting north of the farms and started picking up fish. Current was quite strong so had to paddle back a few times to drift over the same area. I picked up 5 pannies and typhoon was still fishing when I left at midday hoping to pick up a few more. Wind completely died after high tide, complete opposite of the forecast. Beautiful day.

If your going to Kaiaua I wouldn't recommend parking on the grass unless you have 4wd, it's a real bog, road is a mess too from slips, car is covered in clay splashes.

Oh yeh, and I caught a fish on my scute!

• Information