Rigging a Hobie Revolution 13 with Yak Attack Geartrac and Railblaza mounts

A special section for the Hobie paddlers and peddlers of New Zealand
yakkingbrendon
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 am

Having the opportunity to rig a Hobie Revolution 13 from scratch a second time around I wanted to have more flexability as where rod holders ,camera mounts and sounders where mounted as almost every item I rigged on my first attempt was never quite in the optimum place depending on what style of fishing I was doing at the time.
Having already had a good experience with the Yak Attack Visicarbon Pro light pole I was very keen to try out their Gear Trac mounting rails as I could use all my existing Ram products simply by buying 1' and 1.5 ' screw ball adapters and Railblaza by attaching ports to tracks with Mighty bolts.
My initial plan was to have one 16" rail each side of the cockpit forward of the pockets and one 4" rail each side behind the seats and to go with these I ordered two 1.5" Mighty Balls which are RAM "C" balls fitted with a 1/4 -28 UNC T bolt and a 1" Mighty Ball which is a Ram "B' ball with the same bolt.At the same time I ordered a packet of 6 Mighty bolt T bolts with threaded plastic finger nuts which would allow me to mount other items such as my railblaza camera mount to the tracks.

As you can see above screws, a drill and most importantly a sticker come with each set of rails.

When I ordered the rails I had seen Revos with them in front of the cockpit like mine but not behind the seat and I had known Yakattack were bringing out a narrower type of rail and sure enough the gunwale behind the seat is a whisker too narrow for the standard GT175 series rail so I will have to find another home for these and purchased some GT90 series rails when they came available

Close up of track ,mighty bolt and screwball.

I started out installing the front rails on the left and right gunwales forward of the side pockets and one onto the forward hatch.
Very straight forward process of simply choosing a spot, pilot drill with supplied drill bit and use the supplied stainless screws self tapping screws that apparently are water tight and sealing the track on with Selley's All Clear or similar is optional.Total time about 2 minutes per rail.

I used 12 of the 16 posible screws as 4 sit over the foot recesses.The rails just with the screws feel rock solid although guys trolling for big fish would have more peace of mind with the reinforcing plates called fullbacks that have 4 screws that go into captive nuts on a backing plate that goes into the hull although a lot of people dont bother.

One neat idea I got from Yakattack's forum was to use a mighty bolt with a penny washer as a stop on the rail which would prevent items slipping out of the rails if you forgot to tighten them properly or whilst you are adjusting them .This can be seen far left of the rail above pic..

Another idea was to use them as a stop so if you had a particular place you wanted a camera or similar to sit you could just quickly slide it up the rail until it hits it.

On the pic above on the RH side is a Railblaza mount which actually has two 1/4 " holes that the mighty bolts go straight into .Luckily as the the finger nuts sits quite high the Railbalza gear has a fairly tall attach spline and it just sits above them.Unfortunately you can't undo the nuts and move the mount without removing in my case the camera platform first.

Another potential use for these gear tracks would be the base of a very solid and easy to fit outrigger set up.A couple of the Australian West Coast crew have been looking at a kit Finn Kayaks have bought out which consists of a very neat amah and associated poles .
http://www.finnkayaks.com/indexd3a7.htm ... &Itemid=49

I transfered my battery box from my previous hull.The timer is for a live well used for catch and release comps I fish.

I will make a more compact battery box for when I am not in comp mode at some point

Installed a power socket for the live well in the rear well for my livewell

I like to fish till well after dark so have added some reflective tape to help with visibilty front ,center and rear.

Secateur Pouchs make a great holder for pliers and lip grips

The new deep hobie gear buckets are much more useful IMHO and you can see I am experimenting with the knob for the rudder control .
The yellow plates are homemade backing plates for the gear tracks I have yet to fit.

Ram ball recycled to hold my Visicarbon Pro on the rear hatch.

I still need to work out where my sounder is going to live permanently on the new setup but I have been using it on the sail mount and it may alternate between there and the gear trac depending if I am sailing or not.

Western Australia now holds the unfortunate title of fatal shark attack capital of the World with I think 5 in the last year and a couple within our main metro Yak fishing grounds so Shark Sheild a South African designed electronic shark repellent that interferes with the sharks sensing sytem are becoming popular if only to give your significant other peace of mind.We have had no bad frights with the local yakkers yet but a couple of those attacked were on surfskis...I won this one and not sure if I could have justified the price tag otherwise but comforting to know its there.
The grab handles on later model Revos make a perfect attach point

A few pictures from this mornings trip

Stage 2 ;Aft of the seat .
A few weeeks later another Box of goodies arrives....

The GT 90's have a full length backing plate available that are a aluminium bar tapped for the 8-32 internal wrenching screws that come with the tracks and I purchased a pair of these as well as it would be almost impossible to fit nuts and washers inside the hull due to restricted access and the foam blocks on later Hobie hulls.

GT90 left, GT175 track right

Hardware kit supplied with tracks and washers are surplus if full back used.

After finding the spot where I wanted them I first drilled a couple of holes to locate the track used two of the screws to pin it in place whilst I drilled the rest of the holes so that the screws fit loosely to allow the use of rigging bullets.

Yak attack now make a niffty do-dad called a rigging bullet which is basically a piece of threaded rod with a hole down the center which is used to pull a fullback with thread into positions you cant other wise reach.
demo vid here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzuXaMw7 ... r_embedded.

I had some 8-32 screws kicking around so made my own by cutting the heads off although they did not have the hole down the middle.These get screwed into the full back and then in my case I was able with the Revo lying on its side reach from the rear hatch forward past the foam and making sure not to catch cables place them so that the bullets poked through the holes.The track is coated on its underside with sealant and placed over the rigging bullets and the first screws started loosely .The bullet is then screwed out and all the screws started and torqued .
I dropped and lost my rigging bullets on the garage floor in the dark after the first track and did the second just by poking a podge through the hole and feeling for the holes in the full back .I do stuff like this for a living so not too hard but if manual dexterirty or short arms an issue buy the yak attack rigging bullets and save some swearing.... :grr:

With the backing plate and the hull being a narrow channel section in that area the tracks are very solid. Screwing a ram tube to the track and doing it up very tight I was unable to determine any movement from the tracks when applying a substantial amount of force .

I also purchased a pair of mighty mounts which have a number of uses in conjunction with the mighty bolts.They can be scewed straight to the hull where you want to mount something like a light pole or Panfish camera mount or they are also used to adapt Scotty bases to the Gear tracks

Your local Hobie dealer should have the wide tracks and screw balls in stock but the narrow GT90 rails and mighty bolts were not being stocked yet last time I checked in Australia .

Next up making some custom bits for the tracks
Cheers Brendon
Last edited by yakkingbrendon on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

yakkingbrendon

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 am

Stage 3: a bunch of stuff I have built for my Revo 13 that utilizes the gear tracks fitted forward and aft .

Have been having fun in the shed building a bunch of stuff I wanted to play with but did not want to screw to previous hulls.

One of the reasons for wanting the track setup was to not have items I rarely used cluttering the yak up .A case in point was my Anchor cleat that on my last hull always caught my pant cuffs.Being a tight bugger I did not want to use two mighty bolts to hold an anchor cleat on so I used some plastic off cuts to make a T section that fit inside the rail like so..

This is an Idea I copied from plates a number of the Hobie Adventure crew are using but picks up onthe rear GT90 gear tracks and has a pair of Yak Attack Mighty Mount plates to which screw balls can be added to attach ram products or other items can be attached with Yak Attack Mighty Bolts.I also have a Railblaza mount in the center.

The plate is made from approx 5mm marine grade aluminium plate The attach holes are slotted to allow the the plate to be slid back and forth on the rear tracks which are not parralell. Either screw balls or mighty bolts can be used to screw the plate to the tracks.

In the photos above I have used the mount to attach a Railblaza camera boom and also a Railblaza G-Hold to hold a landing net.The left hand screw ball with the Visicarbon pro on it is also attaching the EPIRB bracket .

The EPIRB bracket can also attach directly to the GT90 Rails

Another use for the Rilablaza mounts would be to use a pair of G-holds to make a horizontal rod holder setup.

I wanted to have a way of safely stowing 2 large Berkley tackle boxes on deck which for me hold enough lures jig heads etc for at least a days saltwater fishing .Spare leader goes in a side pocket and soft plastics in the center hatch .Most other items are stowed in the front hatch.
Box made from off cuts of aircraft grade 2024 T3 sheet aluminum .032" thick and picks up on the two mighty mounts on the rigging bar. I will be adding a bungy cord keeper to hold the boxes in in the event of capsize and a couple of rubber feet where it will sit on the deck.

Ready for installation.

The box can be attached facing forward or aft but I imagine it will normally be on the forward side of the rigging plate.The entire plate fully assembled with the box and all the rod holders just slides on and off the tracks for instalation or removal.

Landing net held by a G-Hold on the front hatch...

I occasionally use the Hobie sail kit on my Revo and wanted to have the mainsheet coming back towards me from the front and have the ability to cleat it .I made this up from 5mm plate and tapped the screws into the plate .The cleat is only just big enough for the mainsheet line and will be repalced with the next size up.

This next item was inspired by a mate of mines spur of the moment Sashimi addiction .By happy accident the smallest chopping board that is sold in sets of about 5 different sizes and colours at Woolworths attachs very nice and solid to the tracks with a large stainless penny washer.Obiviously makes a handy bait prep/filleting/cutting board for those brave enough to do this on the water :shock:

I have always thought the replaceable rigging boards on the Pro-Anglers a very neat idea and thought that this could emulated on other hobies with gear tracs fitted so I am playing with this but have yet to decide what to put on it .You could easily put a ramball for a sounder and mad frog style transducer bracket on it .

Having seen a number of DIY tranducer brackets and the Mad Frog one among others I thought I would have a go myself and knocked up this one.

I see in the Railblaza 2012 summer catalouge http://www.railblaza.com/news/44/67/New-Catalogue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they have plates specifically for Wilderness Systems and Yak Attack tracks that allow starports to be screwed directly to the tracks .
The new LED nav light also looks neat and would go straight onto the track on my forward hatch.
Anway enough time in the shed time to hit the water.
Cheers Brendon

oldwetfish
Kayak Model: TI
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4324

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Good setups guys.

Also, great to see the railblaza mounts creeping in there.

After having a number of rods (and reels) drowned in the briney, I spec'd out my TI with railblaza gear.

I found that with the enhanced pressure of trolling heavy (high drag) lures, and catching heavy fish, the ramm mounts kept (no matter how tight I did them up) swivelling the rods to the water.

I even spent countless hours scuffing the balls up to no avail.

The railblaza mounts take as much battering as I can give them.
And they keep coming back for more)..

P.s. I don't work for railblaza.(or hobie).
But they just work well together..

oldwetfish

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh, and when my hands started to get cold, there was no way to re-task the ramm gear, as I couldn't undo the 'overnight' clamps.

:-(

yakkingbrendon

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 am

Hi Old Wet Fish
The ram tubes etc will only be used as rod storage now for exactly the reasons you have experienced.
We quite often troll the 8 m deep Halco Scorpians and Crazy Deeps for snapper and the amount of effort to tow them is remarkable with out then adding a strike on top.
As the Scotty mounts are pretty bulky its nice to just slide them off the tracks when they are not needed to keep a nice clear gunwhale
I am loving being able to shift rod holders around in seconds to suit what style of fishing am doing and being able to slide them closer or further away as when I had fixed ram balls they were never quite right.

I am seriously looking at doing a Revolution Island mod as one of my local forum guys has done .

Apparently it sails very nicely considering its not an AI.
The kits are made just up the road from me for about $300 AUD and would be too easy to mod to go on the tracks.
I am hoping to work out a mod so that I can fold the amas in like a real sailing hobie.

Cheers Brendon

oldwetfish

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:29 pm

It looks like a good setup, even with the smaller sail I am certain it would get along at a good pace.

I would be interested to know how it tracks on a reach?

You may or may not have guessed it, but... I love my hobie..

• Information