empty space to fill - yak spearo's hint and tip section

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
Aquaholic
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5
VHF Call Sign: zmt9106

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 pm

where would you recommend doing a course?
do you use the same stuff as scuba, just without ur tanks and B.C.D- same wetsuit etc?
Ocean kayak 4.5
Perception streamline

PB's: Snapper-11lb gurnard-3lb kahawhai-7lb J.D-5lb

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:18 pm

You can -but like everything the proper smooth skin Spearo suits are so much better and keep the thickness of suit down , less weight required etc.
And they are much more comfortable to wear so best to get the right gear from the outset.
Mike Smith , Jess Whiddett & co @ Ocean Hunter near Sailors Corner Burnsco in city are good for advice, training.,inspiration.
Last edited by paddlesnap on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Aquaholic wrote:where would you recommend doing a course?
do you use the same stuff as scuba, just without ur tanks and B.C.D- same wetsuit etc?
Low volume, well fitting mask and a good size bore on ya snorkel (ya should be able ta fit ya thumb in the end of it) are important. The right fins help, but I have done well on standard fins for years before going ta free-diving ones.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

Aquaholic
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5
VHF Call Sign: zmt9106

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 pm

cheers, will have to go and call in there once scuba course is over and done with, and saved up my pennies :y:
thanks for ur help.
Ocean kayak 4.5
Perception streamline

PB's: Snapper-11lb gurnard-3lb kahawhai-7lb J.D-5lb

paddlesnap

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 pm

:doh: ;) :tmi:
Ahh just checked out Mikes website Jess -
Hmm may be best if you don't let Mum catch you studying the "Donning a closed cell wetsuit " section :wasntme:
:lol:

paddlesnap

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:41 am

Fish'N'Snork wrote:
paddlesnap wrote: ] did thanks before I came up with my breakaway set-up as it is. Have not had any of the above problems you have mention. It was cheap and simple to do and only cost me a little time to set it up. Had the line running to a 10L plastic drum, which worked ok, before I when to the Pod. Made my own Speargun Camera Mount for the GroPro, which is working well too. I not in to wasting money on stuff I can make myself.[/color]
:wasntme: Yeah I've made my own gear too , including speargun , but waste of time , those Go pro underwater cams are pricey :!: I'm picking and won't get ya fish, or didja make that too :)
:coffee: Even straight forward no join shooting lines cause tangles and missfires -so once you do a fair bit you will realise wisdom in the advice--

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 am

paddlesnap wrote: those Go pro underwater cams are pricey :!: I'm picking and won't get ya fish, -
No they don't but I enjoy free diving for more than just the kill ;) The GroPro is not as good as I would like. But does the job for now. Miss my old Nikonos III. But it would be too bulky for the speargun and does still shots only. But it did bloody good pic's.
I do understand the point ya trying to make re: the line. Any line attached to the gun is a tingle hazard especially when the gun is in front of ya legs with the line trailing behind ya. It's a hazard I stay aware of. Have played around with my set-up, I have found little difference with having the line at the front or the back of the gun as I use it. The break-away does work well for me.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......

fatbob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF 400

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 am

Aquaholic wrote:where would you recommend doing a course?
I did a course with Fran of the no bubbles team and went from complete noob to 18m (and simulated 25) in 3days. the course cost $400 3 years ago and – funny that is – improved my surfing skills too. It was all about gaining confidence in the water.
Danfili wrote:…having a ton of fish on the float line for me is bad enough …
I've added a fish threader to the end of my float – well, it does mean I have to pull it towards me for threading the fish, but at least they're out of the way (frisky seals?), and not weighing down my line.

K

paddlesnap

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah I've been water skiing backwards on the float line a few times with frisky Bronzies, Silkies, even big Rays.
Got to the point of practically hand feeding them at times, whoever says they are mindless creatures is asking for it :clap:
They soon learn to home in on the feeding gong of twanging spearguns, especially in popular diving areas. Death throes of fish naturally seal the deal and like wolves are prowling the edge of your bit of hunting ground they're waiting to swoop.
Got that sixth sense feeling one day off Slipper Is. and as I dealt to a kingy the vibes and grating of the knife made me drop it below me to see the converging sharks from opposite directions take shares in the carcase in one run barely below my freediving fins which were being rapidly retracted as I hung at surface :whew:
This got the Plat technique justified real quick.
Same area we found a nice Carbon fibre speargun laying on the weed were it had been dropped after something had stole the fish off of it.
A boat ignored my waving signals , as I'd just lost fish to pack of sharks and swam around next headland and they proceeded to jump in right where I'd just left from , to a welcoming committee :hai: ]:) I reckon by the hasty retreat that ensued :lol:

Danfili
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Danfili wrote:…having a ton of fish on the float line for me is bad enough …
I've added a fish threader to the end of my float – well, it does mean I have to pull it towards me for threading the fish, but at least they're out of the way (frisky seals?), and not weighing down my line.

K
Yeah mate seals :$ ,had a monster Moki a while ago in range about to squeeze the trigger and then all of a sudden tug tug tug :?: . hasn't happend for a while.I will give you set up a go to stop weighing down my line , Cheers
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lister
Kayak Make: Tahe & Viking
Kayak Model: Wind 585 & 440 pf
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 4211

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 am

Sampson wrote:Do you guys tow your yak while spearing, a la plat, or anchor and venture away from it?

The few times I've dived off the 'yak. I've anchored up first and then swum around it. Like having a little "island" to return to :)

I like technology. I especially like to hit it with a big stick!!!!

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

ZMW4211. Proud paddler of PF440

Kiwi K
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Old Town Predator 13

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 am

what works pretty well is if you hang a burley from your anchor rope, quite often you will get awesome sized fish right there at your yak when you return from the other side of the reef, including a kingie or two. Attach the mesh to the anchor via a length of nylon so if a feisty Taxman wants his share its not all that difficult for him to take without going through your rope.

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3

Lister

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Tip or hint? Remember to take your/a camera with you. Had a brilliant swim at Taylors Mistake this arvo, saw lots of "things". Mostly sea life, including King fish!!! Woo Hoo! No :swear: camera!!?? What's the point of having the thing and not taking it. Am now wondering if I'd be safe with a spear gun.

Swam from the rocks not the yak.

edit: Picked up 50-60 weights [fishing] and a variety of other tackle, but should have put it somewhere more inaccessible. Went to collect my "find" and it had been lifted!!! :@

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

paddlesnap

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 pm

8) Buggar about the salvage heist , but good stuff with the diving by the sounds of it.
The Ronstan style floats are great and I have a home made series of nooses on heavy trace with cinch type knots to thread Crays on when ya get em .
You could put another catch bag or clip with line for the sinkers on the float.

Lister

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm

I must get a new float, and a proper one this time, not the inflatable shyte I have. And not used since punctured. Not sensible not having any kind of marker.......... :$

Fish'N'Snork

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:04 am

Bugger the Floats. I find a Pod much better. Easy to put catch in it & easy to tow. Means I don't need a catch bag Free-diving if I come across Mussels or Scallops, as well as Cray.

New Zealand......

• Information