Kayak setups/rigs for spearfishing

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
cjnatan

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 am

Hey guys,

Just thought perhaps we could post a photo of our kayak and gadgets/stuffs that we use when go spearfishing? Its always nice to see new ideas :)

To start it off.. I will start..

So far I have got a GPS/fishfinder (Humminbird 787c2), VHF - took it off though, Bilge pump, lights and fishing rod holders :)

It serves me really well although I have got a few ideas of how to improve it more :) ... (btw: any suggestions/comments are welcome!)

Who's next in sharing some photos? :)
Attachments
yak1.jpg
My yak
yak1.jpg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
yak2.jpg
My yak - photo 2
yak2.jpg (234.63 KiB) Viewed 5021 times

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:39 am

OK I got off on the beaten track in the Rod Holder Thread with Spearo stuff. But thought here might be the better place to continue it. As mention there was the risks of firing a Spear-gun out of water (prompted by me thing about using one Harpoon like from the Yak :wasntme: ). OK yes the spear would go faster out of water, causing problems with the trace line, ripping the gun out of ya hand. What if the spear was fitted with a breakaway rig (like in here http://www.wildblue.co.nz/gear/gunrepai ... reakaways/ ) attach to longer line?
I am interested in set-up a Breakaway Rig for the Spear-gun away as this would hopefully solve one of my Spearo/Yak set-up problems. Anyone use them? If so, what ya think about them? Would love a pic or to on how ya have your Breakaway Rig set-up.
Thanks
Doug
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:17 pm

[
I am interested in set-up a Breakaway Rig for the Spear-gun away as this would hopefully solve one of my Spearo/Yak set-up problems. Anyone use them? If so, what ya think about them?
They sell the break away rigs at the spearfishing shops its just a piece of rubber in a loop that frees the spearline from the gun. Advantage being swim back up line and maybe reload with another spear to give the Coup de gras.
If using kayak as float could lead to problems if something swims off with it ,probably best to use separate float or plat and anchor kayak . Sharks can take & entangle fish stringer often winding themselves up in it in the process which certainly complicates matters and makes separate plat a darn good option with ski to retreat to .
As to surface harpooning one of those new handspears may suffice or go the whole hog and get a bow fishing rig!

Fish'N'Snork

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 pm

paddlesnap wrote:If using kayak as float could lead to problems if something swims off with it ,probably best to use separate float or plat and anchor kayak . Sharks can take & entangle fish stringer often winding themselves up in it in the process which certainly complicates matters and makes separate plat a darn good option with ski to retreat to.
Good point, thanks. Hadn't thought of that. Up until recently, I had been free-diving with a Yak but not spearing. Will go to float line for spear-gun & anchor Kayak.
Had a chat with the Dudes at Dive Connection (WHG), who I had brought the Spear-gun from. Seems already have a break-away option on my gun (see pics). I will give that a go and see if I like it.
Speargun Breakaway Option 1.jpg
Speargun Breakaway Option 1.jpg (261.61 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Speargun Breakaway Option 2.jpg
Speargun Breakaway Option 2.jpg (262.22 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:37 pm

That aint no breakaway I've ever seen -its just the threader on a clip to the floatline ! breakaway is rubber into ring for shooting line that completely separates from gun when discharged-usually on bigger guns as well for shooting the biggies 8)
Ohh and put the floatline clip onto to pistolgrip end toggle or it'll be a hassle -tangle, spoil shots etc!!

Fish'N'Snork

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Speargun Breakaway Option 3.jpg
Speargun Breakaway Option 3.jpg (291.37 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
If you look closer, you will see that as the shooting line end is hooked on the end of the gun now, it will completely separates from gun when discharged, taking the float line with it. It's was the simplest way to do this without drilling the gun at the butt end as in this link "http://www.wildblue.co.nz/gear/gunrepai ... reakaways/". Will take it out and test it a few times to make sure it is working ok soon. If it doesn't work then no big loss, and Paddlesnap can tell me Ï told ya so" ;-)

New Zealand......

Fish'N'Snork

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Image Breakaway sett-up as on WildBlue.oc.nz

New Zealand......

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

A spearo I know but won't name used to sit above the water line on the end float on a mussel farm frequented by kingfish with a speargun and spear down into the water.

Very effective, and his set up was a breakaway ring (as mentioned here) attached to a dumbell shaped bouy spooled with further cord in turn secured by a rubber band.

When fired the spear would pull out the breakaway then take the dumbell bouy with it, as the fish pulled, or a missed shot kept going, the rubber band on the dumbell buoy would ping and additional cord would pull of.

Not my system, so I don't know anymore detail than the above but maybe something helpful in there.

Happy harpooning.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Fish'N'Snork

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Fish'N'Snork wrote:
Speargun Breakaway Option 3.jpg
Will take it out and test it a few times to make sure it is working ok soon.
Tested "Break-away" set-up at Elizabeth Reef today, and it's working well. My "Buoy" on the spear line was a 20L plastic container I had lying around. Did the job well. Too bad there wasn't any really good sized fish ta try on, but got enough diner. Had fun trying ta see my targets through all the Blue Moa Moa |( so ended up with a couple of them on the spear when I missed my targets :wasntme: Will have ta work on my aim :lol:

New Zealand......

• Information