Spearo section

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
tutuyaka
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler ultra

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:06 pm

might have to arrange a trip out there if your interested. Im keen to hook into a "real" kingie.

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm

tutuyaka wrote:might have to arrange a trip out there if your interested. Im keen to hook into a "real" kingie.
Packing the Yak tonight ta head out ta Wangaiti (just past Whananaki N) tomorrow. hope the swell is dying down. Drop me a txt on 02745340. Elizabeth Reef will have to wait until the Weather and Sea is right, and my Yaking skills are better |( :lol:
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:59 pm

02745340. Elizabeth Reef will have to wait until the Weather and Sea is right, and my Yaking skills are better |( :lol: [/color][/quote]
Checked it out over winter months looked promising alright ,but plenty of boat traffic there as they get KY and stuff for bait before heading out Gamefishing.

cjnatan

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 am

Came back from this area and the viz was not the greatest... maybe 5meters... not what I would expect from it anyway :)

If it was up to me, I would have waited a bit longer for the sea to settle down.

Cheers

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:56 am

CJ your still arround mate....
Havent seen ya in ages, ive been off the water for a few weeks with surgery, and out for a couple more at this stage, but when im back we should catch up for a dive...

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cjnatan

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:23 pm

yeah mate im around. Hope u have a fast recovery. Cheers.

Fish'N'Snork

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 pm

cjnatan wrote:Came back from this area and the viz was not the greatest... maybe 5meters... not what I would expect from it anyway :)

If it was up to me, I would have waited a bit longer for the sea to settle down.

Cheers
Yep viz on Sat was poor with 1 - 1.5m Easterly swell. Was only good for honing my Yak skills & a bit of drift fishing on the Seaward side of the Four Islets. Did hop in on the leeward side of the biggest of the Islets out of the swell, but with it being shallow with low viz, I only did this to test some of the set-up with the Yak & spear-gun (see report in "Norf Of Naki Norf 19/2/11" http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... =23&t=4162 ).
Have much to learn yet. Snorkelling wise I'm sweet. Use to play Underwater Hockey, do Underwater Photography & have helped teach Snorkelling in my younger days as part of the Whangarei Underwater Club, but the spear-gun is a new skill for me. I'm a newbie to Yaking & fishing too, but loving it.
I must catch-up with "Matt-Man" (Matt Conmee). He was a Real Spearo, and was the Instructor for the Snorkelling Course run by the Club back then. I could really do with picking his brain now.
Doug
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......

yakman

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 am

Fish'N'Snork how do you find the well lid on your Marauder, do you get water into the well when going through surf? It has been a real issue for me here on the west coast as after getting a few waves over the boat am finding all my gear in the well is floating in a couple of inches of water!

I have just finished making a replacement well lid which I will post in the DIY section soon. Keen to try it out and see how it goes, I am quietly confident that it will be at least 90% waterproof :worried:
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Fish'N'Snork

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:51 am

Which well? I put in the bucket well been my legs with the so call water proof hatch. Since then I have spend some time siliconing all the leak points on it, including siliconing the bucket inside it. Have that problem sorted now, but would have liked Cobra to make the well and bucket a one piece wet tight fitting. That would have made a big difference. The Bait station well with chopping broad and knife holder, after a few attempts at trying to water proofing the lid, I've left it alone. It has be come my ice box for the fish I catch, so it doesn't matter if it gets full of water as nothing leaks into the yak floatation core from there. I can get a big well hatch for the front of the Yak but as it opens right into the yak floatation core, I'm not keen after the bucket well leaks problem. If Cobra come out with a waterproof inner for that front hatch, then I might look at putting it in.
Last edited by Fish'N'Snork on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Zealand......

yakman

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah I was referring to the main well with the bungees on the lid, not the bucket hatch. Obviously no problem if you use it for your catch but it is a problem when you use it for reels, tackle, electronics etc like I do and large amounts of water get in.
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Fish'N'Snork

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 am

yakman wrote:Yeah I was referring to the main well with the bungees on the lid, not the bucket hatch. Obviously no problem if you use it for your catch but it is a problem when you use it for reels, tackle, electronics etc like I do and large amounts of water get in.
My tackle & bait go into the Bucket Hatch between my legs. Even with the lid water tight, the gear in there is stored in water tight containers, as I am often taking the top on and off there to re-bait & re-hook. Done a fair bit of diving in my day, and know how little things are truly water tight when ya put changing pressures on them.

New Zealand......

paddlesnap

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Check out the article on the latest Bay Fishing mag review on a hatch on a sit on kayak that you can put your rod into -then a disclaimer in brackets saying it shouldn't be opened when out on the water !
Hmmm -seems contradictory somehow :!:

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Had my first go at Kingi's with the Speargun today :lol: Will have to work on my patience, aim and probably need to pack a stronger punch with my spear-gun. Did manage ta hit one, but wasn't close enough to put the spear right through so it got away. Got too excited and shot my spear too soon :$ Only had manage three shots before the School got wise of me. Enjoyed seeing them anyway and it was a good learning experience :y:

New Zealand......

paddlesnap

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 am

Cool good stuff -must get out the gun myself.Try shooting something small and let it's vibes bring em in or get a flasher rig on a float -that'll get em close and curious :y: just watch out for the Taxmen if around when doing the first :?:

• Information