Spearo section

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 am

Hey we have a spearo section now :D

Well ill start it off, Im just getting into spear fishin from a yak, have picked up gear from both Ocean Hunter and Wild Blue, and managed to get out for a few dives over the christmas / new year period.
I decided to leave the spear at home and just get used to the diving part.
First dive out, with my brother in law, I went down, flattend off on the bottom, and noticed that I had come down right ontop of the largest ray I have ever seen which was just sitting nested on the sand, it must have been close to 2m wing to wing and my face was about 10com from it.
Naturally I began surfacing pretty sharply (I belive its called crapping yourself), but on the way up My brother in law went down, and even though I was pointing at it and trying to tell him not to do it, he took that to mean, hey go check that out.
He came up quicker than I din when he realised what I was pointing at, and the funnyest thing happend, he caught a glimpse of his own fin in the water and thought this thing was coming to get him, the sheer paninc on his face as he swam as fast as he could away from his own fin was priceless.
On the later dives I managed a few feeds of mussles, and saw plent of good sized snapper.
Next trip out Ill be taking the spear, and probably heading somewhere around aucks with Akcyu if anyone wants to join us.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:04 am

Awesome thread. Will be interested to see how many people spear/dive from yaks.

Looking forward to some more amusing stories like yours KC :lol:
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:50 am

:lol: :lol:

I got spooked while doing a free dive several years ago when I first got my SoT.

Was mooching around when I had the feeling I wasn't alone...Nearly shat meself when I turned around and there was this seal just behind me.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

yakman

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Must be great fun for them though :lol:
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

YAKuZA
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8741

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm down for it Chris, whenever you are ready mate.

kayak chris

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Sat morning?
Thinking a shore dive off Army Bay...
Am keen of an evening after work a bit closer to home too if you are, might be a bit hard in the dying light but im keen to get wet. ;)

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Night dives are awesome :rock: , even if just snorkelling...Well worth the little extra effort and prep.

Used to be my favourites, thoroughly recommended. :y:
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kayak chris

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Absolutley, Ive done a few night scubas before, and they are good fun, like night yak fishes, there is just something about them.
I am more thinking, its our first spearfishing outing, so may be worth doing it at a time when we can actually see. :D

Kayaks-

YAKuZA

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Not keen for a night dive just yet, need a few day trips first to boost my confidence. Saturday morning, it's a toss up between a fish at Narrow Neck with KK or a dive at Army Bay with KC ummm? Best to keep an eye on both threads and see what happens later in the week I guess.

kayak chris

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Do both, he is going out at 5am, so we can go for a dive later in the day, around miday would be fine.
like you say it will be better doing it during the day anyway, so there is plenty of time for both.
We can just do a shore dive so we wont be too deep, and it wont take too much effort, but will just be a good chance to get wet, and get used to it.

Kayaks-

kayak chris

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Akcyu, im booked up for at least the next 3 but probably 4 weekends after this one, so im keen to try get as much diving in as possable this weekend, could even do a sunday mission aswell if your feeling it.

Kayaks-

YAKuZA

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:09 pm

KC, if a midday dive (splash around) is good for you then it's sounds like a plan for me to do both on Sat. You wouldn't want to change the dive location to Narrow Neck or somewhere close to there would you?

kayak chris

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 am

Could do mate, its just very shallow at NN so was trying for somewhere a bit deeper, + Army has been getting some ok reports on the spearo forums.
But Im pretty easy so closer is good too.

Kayaks-

Fish'N'Snork
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Love Snorkelling off the Marauder. It's the main reason for a Yak for me. Have got scallies, crays & bait for fishing. Kina Burly works well (but my Maori work mates would prefer I brought them back some). Have a added a fishing rod as an after thought, but enjoying that. Just added a Pelaj Venom Railgun (speargun) to my weaponry and am wondering if I could mount it "harpoon-like" to the Yak. Not only to have a place to secure it while I'm not in the water but also be able to take a pot-shoot from the Yak if the opportunity presents it's self. Have had the odd fin out there with me while I'm paddling. One has been ether a large Kingi or a Small shark that I'm dying ta take a shot at (don't worry I will make sure I know what it is before pulling the trigger). You guys would probably think that would be cheating, but I'd have a go at a Kingi while I'm in the water Snorkelling so surely taking a shot from the Yak can't be much different.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Can ya do a spear dive at NN? Would look odd the yak bobby around up top with no on it... probably end up in a Search and Rescue!!! :lol:

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:24 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:Can ya do a spear dive at NN? Would look odd the yak bobby around up top with no on it... probably end up in a Search and Rescue!!! :lol:
What's/Where's NN? (LOL bit new ta this site). It's even funnier when ya see the Yak moving without a paddler, LOL. I use my Yak like a diving bouy and have a Dive flag up when I'm in the water. Don't want ta be some boatie's "Prop Burly"as I head ta the surface for some air.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Fish'N'Snork wrote:
kiwiladbrad wrote:Can ya do a spear dive at NN? Would look odd the yak bobby around up top with no on it... probably end up in a Search and Rescue!!! :lol:
What's/Where's NN? (LOL bit new ta this site). It's even funnier when ya see the Yak moving without a paddler, LOL. I use my Yak like a diving bouy and have a Dive flag up when I'm in the water. Don't want ta be some boatie's "Prop Burly"as I head ta the surface for some air.
Sorry dude, I mean Narrow Neck on the North Shore... good fishing but maybe a bit busy (&deep?) for free diving? More so gauranteed good fish.

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:06 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:Sorry dude, I mean Narrow Neck on the North Shore... good fishing but maybe a bit busy (&deep?) for free diving? More so gauranteed good fish.
LOL, OK I'm a Norf Boy. Plenty of good diving and fishing spots up here where I can avoid the Crowds LOL. My Fav is just Norf of Whananaki North at the moment. It's only 1/2-3/4hour drive from home to where I put the Yak in. I must try for Elizabeth Reef out from Whananaki on the Yak one day. Have seen Kingi there in my younger days

New Zealand......

tutuyaka
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler ultra

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 pm

hows the fishing in Whananaki? Its only up the road from me and Ive not been yet.

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:57 pm

tutuyaka wrote:hows the fishing in Whananaki? Its only up the road from me and Ive not been yet.
Not bad. Always get a bite. Lots of reefing where I go. Had fun "playing" the Yak a few times though LOL. Nothing as fun as hooking something that is 4.3m long with the Swell and tide going, only ta find ya got the bottom again :lol:

New Zealand......

• Information