Spearos and Kayaks....good mix??

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
Yaker
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3697

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Seems like a slow forum this one, are there many Spearos/Kayakers out there?
Pinnacle Elite 4.7
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7
Humminbird 798CI HD SI
GOPRO Hero 3+
ZMU3697

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 pm

There are a few of us on here that use the kayak as a spearfishing platform, Rob fort included.
I really rate the kayak as a spear fishing platform and have done a fair bit of it in the past however at the moment I'm more into the rod fishing and only free diving to collect crays paua scallaps ect... rather than hunt.
I usually anchor the kayak while spear fishing so that I can cruze along easier but you can drag the yak attached to the spear gun and I have done this in the past when spearing high current flow reefs for kingfish. paddle up current of the reef and then drift back over the reef while diving, then hop back on the kayak and paddle back to the start again, no tiring swommong against the current. I have speared a fair few kingis at the leigh reef this way.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:04 pm

The results of a days spear fishing off the kayak in doubtless bay....
Attachments
P1040388.JPG

Yaker

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Kerry wrote:The results of a days spear fishing off the kayak in doubtless bay....
Thanks for the feedback Kerry. Im just in the process of re rigging my Yak for a Fish/Spearo combination. All my mates are Boaty/Cans combo which doesn't really interest me.
Just researching the speargun and will be all set to go.
Pinnacle Elite 4.7
Humminbird 798CI HD SI
GOPRO Hero 3+
ZMU3697

Caveman
Kayak Make: Ocean River
Kayak Model: Freedom

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Big-ass dive flag! I like a rail gun. Not too long, as its easier to use unless u going blue water fishing. Yak is great for keeping the enevitable blood out of the water....none of my bronzie mates coming to help:-)

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 am

Yaker wrote:Seems like a slow forum this one, are there many Spearos/Kayakers out there?
Yeah -and don't want to piss on anyones parade- but actually they are great except in company of someone else doing the same of equal or better abilities and you can trust with your life :?:

And that is the hard part , have tried solo freediving missions but really with family and commitments you start to weigh up the safety factors and solo is not really that smart :n:

Shallow water blackout , exhaustion , ability to monitor conditions then still have enough energy to paddle home leave plenty of scope for glitches in an already demanding scenario.

In my honest opinion while doable and such there are much better craft for it
PB030010.JPG

Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:41 am

Hey Yaker
Spearfishing from the kayak is something I have been passionate about for many years and was the original reason for getting into them.
With the right techniques it is excellent and as many know you don't have to go that far to reach good areas.
Take it slowly and get your fitness up and as mentioned you are best not to dive alone.
Yes we have shallow water blackout to worry about however this is far more of a concern for experienced divers who have learnt to trick the mind into thinking it doesn't need to take a breath.
Try not to push yourself to hard and be sure to consider that you will need enough energy to paddle home.
Kayaks can be towed around as you swim along the coast allowing you plenty of exploration.

Learn about the species in the ocean as some are slow to grow and breed like red moki and butterfish. This way you will have knowledge on what to target and go easy on the numbers of fish you spear especially in one area only taking enough for a feed.

Here's a clip that may interest you:

This will also help with information on the subject: http://kayakadventures.co.nz/spearfishing_tips.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Hard case though spearfishing the most selective and efficient targeting and such in clean water situations and I've seen areas hammered by boatloads of divers and no regard to limits, species etc. reported it and such but they still persist.

People selling them the gear don't mind and still sell em the gear , and theres an awful lot of it out there just from the specialty dive shops alone :?:

Basically healthy populations of Butterfish where I go can be harvested as no one else is , and no appreciable inroads on them .

Red Moki and such have all been slammed by the aforementioned types and no sport there , they just about jump on the spear.

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Um dumb question time, butter fish taste like ....butter??

Yaker

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:40 am

Ruff as Gutts wrote:Um dumb question time, butter fish taste like ....butter??
Butter refers to the high fat content. Probably one of the best tasting fish around.
Pinnacle Elite 4.7
Humminbird 798CI HD SI
GOPRO Hero 3+
ZMU3697

Yaker

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 pm

[quote="Kayak Rob"]Hey Yaker
Spearfishing from the kayak is something I have been passionate about for many years and was the original reason for getting into them.
With the right techniques it is excellent and as many know you don't have to go that far to reach good areas.
Take it slowly and get your fitness up and as mentioned you are best not to dive alone.

Thanks Rob,
Picked up my speargun yesterday so all set to go. Will be taking it slow, just land based for a while.
Pinnacle Elite 4.7
Humminbird 798CI HD SI
GOPRO Hero 3+
ZMU3697

• Information