Big guys instructing boat

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
bigreddog

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Looking for advice on some big sit in kayaks for an instructing platform. I'm 6ft3 and long legged.
Have been sifting the net a bit and a lot of the makes and models reviewed are things I've never seen in NZ.

Currently I'm using a beachcomber but it has a few features I really dislike. And it's just got a split where the seat joins on

I have used the Eco Bezhig in the past and am considering looking at one of these again. Only problem with these is I can't get in bum first and then pop my legs in. Maybe some judicious trimming of the combing might sort this?

I've also used Skua and a similar sized Necky.

Read a good and a bad review on the Kodiak online??

Does anyone have a boat built with us big guys in mind that would be able to handle the knocks of instructional work?
Thanks

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:51 pm

What about the SeaBear or similar high volume expedition yak?
Could also move the forward bulkhead to customise if necessary.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

bigreddog

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Everyone with Sea Bears raves about them, must be a great boat.
Does it come in plastic or is it only glass?

Shifting the bulkhead is a good idea. I had thought about using the old boiling water trick that we used to do the whitewater boats to lift the knee area up a bit too!

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:41 pm

The Sea Bear is a terrible kayak, way too much rocker - if you are light. If you are heavy >100 kg, then OK. For instruction I'd expect it would be good as it is easy to lay it over and with all that rocker it still feels stable. As far as I know glass only. A really really old one would be wood.

Defyant
Kayak Make: Q Kayaks
Kayak Model: Skua Lightweight
VHF Call Sign: Defyant ZMU2692

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm 6ft and fit comfortably in my Skua... although I have added an extra plastic thigh brace to the top of the cockpit which makes getting in and out rather tight with my longish legs...also making bum first legs second entries a bit tricky...

What about a Tasman Express? Getting a bit long?

Anything from the QK range will take the knocks. Our demo/hire boats certainly last the miles...

I would say a Behzig is more suited for larger people rather than taller no? I was swimming in the seat of one of those! :geek:
Defyant ZMU2692
Canoe & Kayak Manukau 09 262 0209

bigreddog

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks guys. I'm reasonably big too. Would have to pad the bezhig for rolling but definitely not 'swimming' in the seat. I'll try and find somewhere I can compare the express to a bezhig. One of the issues is needing to demonstrate self rescues under a time limit. I can't do a bum first entry on dry land in most boats, let alone on water.

How do you find the Tasman Express in surf and punching into swell?

Defyant
Kayak Make: Q Kayaks
Kayak Model: Skua Lightweight
VHF Call Sign: Defyant ZMU2692

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Haven't really paddled the tasman in anything but perfect flat water. If your in auckland I could certainly borrow you one to try out for a day. I find there's no way to really know if a kayak will work for you unless you demo it.
Defyant ZMU2692
Canoe & Kayak Manukau 09 262 0209

swampykiwi2
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9286

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:06 am

Take a look at the tahe marine boats, I'm 6'1 and 95 and have plenty of leg room left in the cockpit, I can even get in butt first, feet next. I've got the reval midi, it's quite nice though it takes a bit to get it around if it's not moving. They are narrow but they are great fun.
Cobra Marauder
Reval Midi
Bliss Stick Huka
Feathercraft K1
Barracuda Outbacka Duo

bigreddog

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up using the Barracuda for the assessment. Worked pretty well. Could do with more contact in the seat for railing and rolling but was fine for what I needed.
Going to look at another boat long term, maybe an eco bezhig.

bigreddog

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:38 am

Oh, and passed the Sea Kayak 1 assessment!

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Congratulations on the pass :y:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

• Information