2nd paddle

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
Fishninja
Kayak Make: Oceankayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Use that kask length gauge ie length should be from ground to arm over your head with fingers just over end of blade. Anything less is dissapointing. You will find paddle is efficient esp in sea kayak and if you get stroke right but if you need to apply gobs of power in a rush IMHO they are not as good as paddle with bigger blade which can shift more water from a cold start.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:53 pm

[quote="Fishninja"]Use that kask length gauge ie length should be from ground to arm over your head with fingers just over end of blade. Anything less is dissapointing. You will find paddle is efficient esp in sea kayak and if you get stroke right but if you need to apply gobs of power in a rush IMHO they are not as good as paddle with bigger blade which can shift more water from a cold start.

Yup Big is Good when ya need it I've found -just build up the strength to wield em properly , same as any sport really- Fitness helps :y:

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:16 am

Western Red Cedar is the timber to use. As light or lighter than a carbon paddle.

Length - be able to curl your fingers over the end or even just to the wrist. Note the loom might seem short but only the finger and thumb are on it and the rest of the fingers are on the blade. The grip will actually end up very near a "proper" grip width. At the last KASK forum I did a check against a long distance and racing kayaker (uses a Wing but has a GP) and his grip was only 2 fingers wider than mine.

When accelerating the blade angle (the stroke is sweeping outward) for maximum grip on the water is important - very little difference between a GP and any other paddle.

glint
Kayak Model: 6m ?
VHF Call Sign: zmz6495

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:45 pm

I have a gl you can try ph 4806365
SOF 6mt kayak

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Herman Pacific -Foundry Rd. Silverdale , just around the corner from Mentals old work .

http://www.hermpac.co.nz/contact.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huge amounts there and seems reasonable cost too :y:

Still got the Wing Douugie , see ya out there sometime-

Hey ps, I brought a wing paddle off Millenniumpaddles.co.nz it is there smallest wing paddle I think which suits my shoulder injury, I have only used it 3 or 4 times so still getting used to it been watching vids on youtube to get an idea of technique. I think I may have had it made a little bit short for me but I'm not totally sure. Length is 208-218. Hopefully see ya out there sometime and get some tips on fishing & paddling!

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Thats about the adjustment range I use and mostly at7or 8 in the 210 -220 .
I'm about 6' so seems to work good .
Yeah will do .

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:55 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Thats about the adjustment range I use and mostly at7or 8 in the 210 -220 .
I'm about 6' so seems to work good .
Yeah will do .
With those dimension are you talking about a Greenland paddle or a Wing paddle? For a Wing or Euro paddle 205 - 215 cm can be plenty long enough. Anyone who wants to go over 220 definitely doesn't know how to paddle efficiently. If they are strong enough it doesn't matter, if they like to keep up and can despite their lesser strength, then efficiency is a requirement. Efficient paddling should equate to going further or being less tired at the end of the day (making putting the kayak back on the car easy!!!!).

Note that the centre of the blade area (centre of effort) is closer to the middle of a GP than a Euro as all the paddle in the water is blade where the Wing & Euro have short blades.

• Information