Red Dwarf - Footpump fitout

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Went around various merchants with a small spring balance to check the pull required to draw the pump in order to minimise the strength of shock cord required to a) Ease loads on mounts etc and b) minimise fatigue when pumping

Best of the lot was the Lalizas brand handpump with a feeble 1lb required to lift the handle (most were 5lb+) at $60 but with a good output of half litre/stroke. Volume is the prime consideration, so removed the smaller hose fittings off the housing and went with the 1" option.

Into Mitre 10 for a collection of stainless bolts, penny washers and nylocks, helical suction hose and a skin fitting.

The mount was going to be on the rails, and use a C section Aluminium extrusion which fitted the dovetails perfectly.
A hole was drilled in the pieces to allow a 10mm bolt to lock into the locating holes on the rail, and a captive nut was epoxied onto extrusion accordingly.

Another piece of extrusion was cut to size, one end riveted to one rail mount bracket with a hefty piece of ali right angle, the other left free to allow for the taper of the hull, and then fixed once in position.

Pump unit has two non return valves, simple rubber diaphragms which are accessible without tools, but the handle needed to be rotated 180 degrees as the inlet/outlet were the "wrong" way around for my application

Handle was shortened for clearance, then drilled and shock cord fitted and fitted to the crossbar.

Then the whole kit was thrown inside the hull, and after an hour or so of tightening nuts and bolts at arms reach one flat at a time was ready for testing.

Chuck 20l of water into the cockpit...and sit in it - Not a job you'd want to do in winter :wasntme:

Because the Marlin has a dayhatch with a neoprene sock, I relocated the pump to one side rather than centrally mounted. Also slipped a piece of PVC pipe over the handle for a extra comfort as pumping with bare feet quickly showed up the strengthening ribs on the handle. All was good and water was moved around the cockpit quite nicely.
Pump.jpg
Pump.jpg (89.85 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

Now to get the water outside...

The skin fitting was mounted on the side, which, being lower than the hose inside running along the inside of the top deck means there is a gravity 'lock' to stop water from bleeding past the non return valves in the pump when water washes the deck and fills the line. I selected the flattest area of hull and with a bit of judicious hot air gun, moulded the flange on the fitting to match. A couple of inner tube gaskets with a smear of silicone and clamp it on.
In time, I'll paint it with marine two-pot to match the hull.
outlet.jpg
outlet.jpg (97.03 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

So, once the goo has dried, it's off to the lake to fall in 8)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Love it,
Well done.
So re the pump action, does it feel like it is hinged on the floor and you pump it like an accellerator pedal type action, rather than a front back dort of motion?
(Hope that makes sence)
If so how does the pedal / action feel? is your foot pretty sequre on the pump or would it be better with something flat to push against? eg a proper pedal

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 pm

The bare handle was a little too 'edgy' on my flippers, but the PVC pipe solves all that and is reasonably comfortable to use.

I toyed with making a flat pedal, but the pipe is more than acceptable comfortwise, and it's not a common operation anyway - if I was pumping regularly, then I would probably redesign the pedal arrangement... I may yet try slipping some pool noodle over it, but suspect bulk will negate benefits.

It's hinged at the bottom, so, yes similar to an accelerator pedal (and same as my rudder pedals)

I can use the full draw to shift a heap of water initially, then gently flutter the pump at about 1/4 to 1/2 movement to mop up all but about 500ml out of the cockpit - most acceptable.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Pump mod

Wasn't happy with the slow intake of the pump using the bungy as a return mechanism as well as having the shockcord and lever cluttering up the pod.

Solution: replace "lever" type pedal with a stirrup fashioned out of a block of teflon and some webbing.
Whilst I was in there, I redid the mounting bar with a higher grade ali extrusion scrounged out of a skip.

Can now operate both suck and blow with foot with a lot less motion than previous (lever required a substantial pumping action with the whole leg, stirrup operates full stroke with just ankle movement and therefore reduces fatigue and improves stability/control while pumping out. also takes up a lot less real estate when 'parked'

Output is now 3x what it was. :y:

Pump shown overextended to display stirrup. Normal park position fully retracted into pump housing.
Pump Mk2.jpg
Pump Mk2.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 2752 times

Patch
Kayak Make: Nissan
Kayak Model: floaty type
VHF Call Sign: Oi! Noddy . . .

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:36 am

nice work mate - hope you never actually need to use it :y:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

:coffee: :^: :beer:

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:51 am

Capsize isn't too big an issue with SiKs, if you've got the gear, just a tad more involved than SoTs.

...If I don't get to use it, then I'm not enjoying myself ;)

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Hey Hld,
Im now looking to fit out the new Eco.
Now you have had a bit of time to play in the boat, are you still happy with this option?
Anything else you would change?
Im still trying to work out wether to go manual or electric on this boat, both have thier ups and downs...

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Completely happy with it.

I particularly like the fact that I can pull back on the stirrup to get a quicker draw as opposed to the bungy method which took about 20seconds to slowly reset, and I didn't want to have to fight a stronger bungy.

Only change would be to relocate the intake to behind the seat at the lowest point, but for the sake of a couple of hundred ml, I'm content where it is.

bigreddog

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:33 pm

This setup is pretty cool. So after several years since posting ... are you still using this system?
How's it working out?

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:33 am

Ended up going electric.
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 637#p26637

Can't comment on longevity of the replacement system as sold the boat to go Greenland style

• Information