New Barracuda Interface

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I see Gordon Robinson has bought out a new low volume Sea kayak to add to range .
Supposed to be to suit ageing paddlers that don't want to lift heavy kayaks about and dont need load carrying ability- more for day trips-
interface.jpg
As you can see with average size dude she sits pretty low and I find this a distinct disadvantage in the Albatross I have which the Beachcomber was originally a scaled down version of after Barracuda bought the rights to their moulds and discontinued the superior composite Albatross-

A higher volume version would have been great and handled a lot more useage capability like Fishing and such with no real detraction in performance.
I often think they try to minimize things a wee bit too much for aesthetics or saving in weight construction etc.
There are deck variations -high volume for bigger dudes but looking at this it won't alleviate essentially a wash deck kayak which can actually be a real handful in challenging conditions .

Back to the Albatross they are still the pick of many experienced Sea kayakers for ease of long paddles.
One of the paddlers I met at Fletchers Bay en route to the Barrier built his own Albatross from one of the moulds and they were using it to go to the Barrier , and made a beautiful job of it as he is a boat builder.
My mate Mat was paddling one also and had his loaded with a week or more supplies and he's a bigger guy .
Had a paddle out around the Tip of the Coro peninsula with him when we went for a dive mission and they certainly go well in the right hands :y:

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Very interesting ride for sure PS, I hear there's a a longer hull Sot fishing yak in the making as well :)..

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 pm

YakFisho Snapps wrote: I hear there's a a longer hull Sot fishing yak in the making as well :)..

may of heard that too ;)

YakFisho Snapps

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 pm

Winch wrote:
YakFisho Snapps wrote: I hear there's a a longer hull Sot fishing yak in the making as well :)..

may of heard that too ;)
Shareing is caring :)....

Winch

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 pm

It was from Gordon, saying a longer sit on top fishing kayak that's it don't know anything about design and he said he was hoping to look at it this year

paddlesnap

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 am

:lol: Yeah they say lots of things -usually what they think you want to hear :^)
He also tried to explain in a club Newsletter how the Beachcombers are made but omitted to explain the mould leaves pimples on the outside (drag inducing) and other major details that were promptly noticed by one of the most experienced long distance Sea kayakers who was getting one for a day tripper , he also did his own peace of mind quality control and filled it up by hose, sealed it, and rotated it to find it had a sizeable leak around the hull deck seam where they are glued together but not enough glue was used, which required another non leaking replacement :(
Also the standard seat has to be upgraded at extra cost as it is inadequate and pressure points induce dead leg and they make a Special Silver version that is thicker and stronger etc .because some have found they do break , even a stingray in the shallows has damaged a hull from impact.

Just be aware these guys have been selling coals to Newcastle for a long time and know all the marketing ploys,
I notice they pop up around the Canoe club when new toy time is nigh and get mighty friendly |(

Care the share no fare ;)

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:23 am

Your always a man that puts such a positive spin on things PS.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

Test paddle it before jumping onto conclusions

From their facebook:

The new Barracuda Interface will be touring the country soon, send us an email if you would like to be among the first to test paddle it (be sure to give us your location ) send requests to info@barracudakayaks.com
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

Winch

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:08 pm

paddlesnap wrote::lol: Yeah they say lots of things -usually what they think you want to hear :^)
He also tried to explain in a club Newsletter how the Beachcombers are made but omitted to explain the mould leaves pimples on the outside (drag inducing) and other major details that were promptly noticed by one of the most experienced long distance Sea kayakers who was getting one for a day tripper , he also did his own peace of mind quality control and filled it up by hose, sealed it, and rotated it to find it had a sizeable leak around the hull deck seam where they are glued together but not enough glue was used, which required another non leaking replacement :(
Also the standard seat has to be upgraded at extra cost as it is inadequate and pressure points induce dead leg and they make a Special Silver version that is thicker and stronger etc .because some have found they do break , even a stingray in the shallows has damaged a hull from impact.

Just be aware these guys have been selling coals to Newcastle for a long time and know all the marketing ploys,
I notice they pop up around the Canoe club when new toy time is nigh and get mighty friendly |(

Care the share no fare ;)

Your a happy guy PS :^)

paddlesnap

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:18 am

Yup keep the info flowing I say , and don't believe all the crap people put out there selling their gear .

Amazing how some afficianados of one marque can change depending on who sponsors them , just being an impartial observer with heaps of experience can help inexperienced people sort the shit from the clay ;)

MadMike

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 am

Oh heavens PS. you really have a low opinion of sales people. |(
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 pm

MadMike wrote:Oh heavens PS. you really have a low opinion of sales people. |(
When looking at some sales people though MM, he's quite right. Not all are in it for the long haul
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:10 pm

We all have biases. Whether we know it or not.

It may even be possible to be biased toward sit in kayaks.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Jason Milne
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Reload, GT, 400

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 pm

paddlesnap wrote:I see Gordon Robinson has bought out a new low volume Sea kayak to add to range .
Supposed to be to suit ageing paddlers that don't want to lift heavy kayaks about and dont need load carrying ability- more for day trips-
As you can see with average size dude she sits pretty low and I find this a distinct disadvantage in the Albatross I have which the Beachcomber was originally a scaled down version of after Barracuda bought the rights to their moulds and discontinued the superior composite Albatross-
this is farkn hilarious and I will be sure to pass it on to Gordon who will have a chuckle i am sure :y: .. Paddlesnap..you up for a meeting with Gordon to pass on your superior knowledge in design and paddling expertise? I can arrange it no probs, my number 021661326... seriously you should not jump to conclusions, you have taken this photo out of context, which will be clarified in the public roll out... but hey at least we know your watching so on behalf of Gordon thanks for sharing :clap: you shoud put your name i for the test paddle, I am sure your review will be valued...assumption is the mother of all :hai: ... however I doubt this will register with you once the full roll-out of the kayak has been made publicly aware.
Jason
jason@paddleguy.com
http://www.paddleguy.com
[http://www.youtube.com/user/paddleguyjas]
brands commercially associated with include Viking Kayaks, Railblaza & C-Tug

ship
Kayak Make: STEALTH
Kayak Model: EVO 465

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Jason Milne wrote:
paddlesnap wrote:I see Gordon Robinson has bought out a new low volume Sea kayak to add to range .
this is farkn hilarious and I will be sure to pass it on to Gordon who will have a chuckle i am sure :y: .. Paddlesnap..you up for a meeting with Gordon to pass on your superior knowledge in design and paddling expertise? I can arrange it no probs, my number 021661326... seriously you should not jump to conclusions, you have taken this photo out of context, which will be clarified in the public roll out... but hey at least we know your watching so on behalf of Gordon thanks for sharing :clap: you shoud put your name i for the test paddle, I am sure your review will be valued...assumption is the mother of all :hai: ... however I doubt this will register with you once the full roll-out of the kayak has been made publicly aware.
YES THIS IS FARKIN HILARIOUS!!
You have cash hanging out of ya back pocket from viking and barracuda doing reports on other brand kayaks that are not favourable and nobodys complained including me because after all its your opinion and people know and respect you,BUT ya cant handle paddlesnap having an opinion and even get a bit smart about it HMMM. Lets start nailing people for lies and changing stories to fit there own agenda but please allow people to have own opinions if polite or else whats the bloody point of the site. With still the greatest respect to you and viking who make a damn fine yak just my opinion anyway
STEALTH EVOLUTION 465[/co

MadMike

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:42 pm

See now the joy of being a market boy for a brand of Kayak comes to fruition, now the down side to that is that marketing gets used in multiple forms of media and web sites and affiliations become very apparent very quickly, especially when you know what the person behind the alias looks like. All I can say is at least Jason is straight up front about who he is working for.

Paddle snaps's comment I also take a little on the nose passing judgement on something that hasn't hit the market nor has he paddle, that judgement can only be reserved for once this has been done. Paddle snap also thinks all sit on tops should be in the trash can.

Jasons reviews I have read to date have all been pretty true and too the point. In fact I know of one kayak importer that is using his review on his site, and this is not a paid brand either. Criticisms I have found to be generally just. Cracked joining tapes aside. If he's paid by a company of coarse the reviews done for those companies are going to be swayed as are any of the other guys we know, everyone likes to think that the crowd there pushings Kayaks are 3 times better be it true or false, hense the saying grain of salt.

ship
Kayak Make: STEALTH
Kayak Model: EVO 465

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Yeah I hear ya mike and like I said Jason milne has got my respect with the brands he promotes and himself :) Problem being my first sentence possibly was a bit strong towards making the desired point even though he is paid employee of them.
STEALTH EVOLUTION 465[/co

YakFisho Snapps

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm

MadMike wrote:See now the joy of being a market boy for a brand of Kayak comes to fruition, now the down side to that is that marketing gets used in multiple forms of media and web sites and affiliations become very apparent very quickly, especially when you know what the person behind the alias looks like. All I can say is at least Jason is straight up front about who he is working for.

Paddle snaps's comment I also take a little on the nose passing judgement on something that hasn't hit the market nor has he paddle, that judgement can only be reserved for once this has been done. Paddle snap also thinks all sit on tops should be in the trash can.

Jasons reviews I have read to date have all been pretty true and too the point. In fact I know of one kayak importer that is using his review on his site, and this is not a paid brand either. Criticisms I have found to be generally just. Cracked joining tapes aside. If he's paid by a company of coarse the reviews done for those companies are going to be swayed as are any of the other guys we know, everyone likes to think that the crowd there pushings Kayaks are 3 times better be it true or false, hense the saying grain of salt.
X2 Well said MM, great respect for Jason Milnes in the amount of kayaks he's sat in an given an honest opinion in his reviews and he knows how to surf a yak... Also changing a honest experienced paddlers review opinions in a certain imported kayak brand in NZ can't be a good look for the NZ supplier...
My 2 cents worth love reading your reviews Paddleguy keep them coming :y:....

MadMike

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 pm

Back on track now though. Paddlesnap why don't we organize a trip up here and coincide it when this beast hits Whangarei. It would be good to have an on water experience and witness the downsides first hand. Might have to sort the higher volume version for my fat ass though :lol:

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Geesus |( :lol:

• Information