Multi Day Trip Advice?

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Looking at doing a multi day trip somewhere in the 'Skua' next year. Of those who are into such things what would be the top destinations for such trip?

Will more than likely be north island but keen to hear of any highly recommended destinations. At this stage I am researching a circumnavigation of Great Barrier Island as I have been there several times and loved it but never paddled there.

Also has anyone paddled the Mercury Islands? Sounds like can be done as a day trip from mainland but not sure how much time that would allow for exploring etc? My understanding is there is no camping on Great Mercury?

Cheers,

Yakman.
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"
kpofisha
Kayak Make: Handcrafted
Kayak Model: JEM Wadefish 15-32

you could consider inland ... Lake Rotorangi or the Wanganui River.
Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone - Bruce McLaren

JEM Wadefish 15-32
Cobra Fish 'n Dive
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

[quote="yakman"]Looking at doing a multi day trip somewhere in the 'Skua' next year. Of those who are into such things what would be the top destinations for such trip?

Stay South young man- stay remote , do the outer Marlborough Sounds? D'Urville Is.
They are relatively uncrowded by Dickhead boaties over the busy season.
Mates stayed on an Island outer sounds for a week or more Christmas -New Year, and had it all to themselves -hardly saw anyone else -Perfect

Those places you mentioned will be bedlam that time of year and best avoided -do them when all the other idiots are back at work-

Cheers have a goody
MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

^^ what he said... madness as mad as madness gets |(
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...
MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Personally I would avoid the sounds at this time of year due to: -

1) Dickhead boaties (there are enough to be a problem)
2) Screaming NW winds.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side
yakman

Cheers guys, so the message I am getting is avoid everywhere this time of year! :D

We can take crowds out of the mix, it may not have been clear but trip will not be over the holiday season. Always plan my trips outside silly season, more likely March/April.
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

yakman wrote:Cheers guys, so the message I am getting is avoid everywhere this time of year! :D

We can take crowds out of the mix, it may not have been clear but trip will not be over the holiday season. Always plan my trips outside silly season, more likely March/April.
Now ya talking see out the Barrier then :y:
yakman

paddlesnap wrote:Now ya talking see out the Barrier then :y:
Sounds good :y: Amazing when you start doing a bit of research how many awesome places there are to go, I better get a wriggle on!

I think a new kayak next year will help speed things along :rock:
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

I find it easier to work out how many days I can be away for, and then work the destination around that :P
Circumnavigation of Taupo is also really good.
Or if your after just an overnighter there are plenty of islands around the place.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

I'd agree the outer Pelorus Sound. Launch at Duncan Bay or half way along the road to French Pass, Elaine Bay. Both good places to leave a car. French Pass camp ground needs prebooking this time of year. Elaine Bay camp ground has usually got room all year. No camp ground at Duncan Bay but not far to paddle from the launch ramp to one. Ngauhukawhiti Bay, NE corner or go to Tawa Bay. Ngauhukawhiti Bay camp site I found in the dark so you should be able to find it OK in daylight.

Wind - yes. But, being in the Sounds you should be "safe" and find somewhere to go.

I'd not recommend trying to circumnavigte D'Urville Island this time of year - NW winds but the east coast of it can be worth looking at and a few camping spots with very few boats around.

Queen Charlotte Sound - from Waikawa head out, Tory Channel would be OK, Ngaruru Bay for camping or go out to the outer Sound via Blumine Island and the north side of Arapawa Island. You should be able to find either a camp ground at Wharehunga and use it as a base or just tuck into empty places (quietly) at night.

Surprisingly, Abel Tasman can be quiet at Christmas - New year and then gets busy after that. you need to prebook camp sites there though.

14 km before Nelson from Blenheim turn off to Cable Bay and a camp ground there. Paddle that coast or circumnavigate Pepin Island. Check the tide for half of that trip as the back is mudflats. A brilliant bit of vcoast on the outside of the island.