Page 2 of 3

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 pm
by richardantony
Yes I know Johnson outdoors have the pretty pictures but I would hope so, they make them don't they? Isn't that there factory in Silverdale (No prices on there though!) I am talking about there "Dealers" click on Find a dealer visit a web site and count how many 4.3s you see :headbang:

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:48 am
by kayak chris
richardantony wrote:Yes I know Johnson outdoors have the pretty pictures but I would hope so, they make them don't they? Isn't that there factory in Silverdale (No prices on there though!) I am talking about there "Dealers" click on Find a dealer visit a web site and count how many 4.3s you see
I would say that may be because they have not started manufacturing for sale as yet so they have not been distributed to the dealers.
Johnsons have supplied a couple of test boats to the market, and listened to the feedback from those who have paddled it.
As a result they are making a few minor changes.
This combined with the earthquake in Chch has put them slightly behind thier ideal production date, but im sure that if they end up with a better boat as a result then most would be happy to wait.
If you want to have a look at one then they do have test boats at Silverdale, or at a guess I would say they will be at your local dealer in the next week or two.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:55 am
by N2Y
richardantony wrote:...As someone looking into new kayaks at the moment it would be great to have a post back on here as to which of the issues raised have been resolved?...
The only 'issue' as such that I noticed was with the rudder system. I did have some other dislikes but as with most products features are a personal preference thing (eg. rear rod holders, seat comfort).

After speaking with Johnson's when dropping the test yak back the rudder slot in the rear is all sorted :y:

Give them a bell, get in the yak and have a paddle and decide for yourself. Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you have already decided you do not want a rudder?

Cheers.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 am
by kayak chris
Nice one mike. :y:
Just out of interest too, re the seat comment, you say in your report that it wasnt like your one in your viking using the additionaly foam seat pad.... how would it compare this new 4.3 seat to the original seat on your kayak by itself without the "extra" foam pad in your opinion?
Only reason is personally I loved the seat, but I dont use an additional foam pad on my current seats so I guess im comparing it more to a standard type factory seat.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 am
by N2Y
kayak chris wrote: ...re the seat comment, you say in your report that it wasnt like your one in your viking using the additionaly foam seat pad.... how would it compare this new 4.3 seat to the original seat on your kayak by itself without the "extra" foam pad in your opinion?
To be honest, for me, sitting on the moulded 4.3 seat cushion felt a bit like sitting on a yak without a seat (although that maybe me being used to my soft blue cushiony goodness :inlove: ). Like I mentioned I felt the bones in me butt after about an hour of paddling. With the standard Ocean Kayak seat in my Prowler 13 I would get maybe 2-3 hours and with the cushion on standard seat in P13 I'd get around 4 hours.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am
by GBC
Well done N2Y it was a great review and Great the JO are listening to the test pilots. It will mean my new boat will be sweet :y: :y:

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 pm
by YakFisho Snapps
very well said review N2Y :y:..everyone will have there own personal thoughts about a yak how it performs e.t.c..i'm in the market for an upgrade so it's good to hear what other people find about this kayak that buggs them to look out for when i go for a test paddle and a big thumbs up for ok for fixing the probs as they arise :y:..so by the time i take one out for a spin it should be not notch :y:..

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:35 pm
by richardantony
N2Y Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you have already decided you do not want a rudder?

I have heard like (some other things I will not mention here) once you try it you will never go back!! but I haven't tried a rudder yet and for the inshore fishing I do it just seems like an extra weight and something else to get in the way. Not to say I wouldn't want an option to add one in the future.
ps I must learn how you paste the quotes in the box like you do.
pps pps your review was a breath of fresh air to the point and honest, please take the 4.3 and the viking 400 out and compare the two side by side.
Go on Ill buy you a beer! :beer:

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 am
by Kingfish killer
richardantony wrote:N2Y Out of curiosity is there a particular reason you have already decided you do not want a rudder?

I have heard like (some other things I will not mention here) once you try it you will never go back!! but I haven't tried a rudder yet and for the inshore fishing I do it just seems like an extra weight and something else to get in the way. Not to say I wouldn't want an option to add one in the future.
ps I must learn how you paste the quotes in the box like you do.
pps pps your review was a breath of fresh air to the point and honest, please take the 4.3 and the viking 400 out and compare the two side by side.
Go on Ill buy you a beer! :beer:
N2Y already paddles a viking 400 . Which in my book makes your review even more crediable . It would be very easy for someone who paddles a 400 to focus on anything negative no matter how small it may have been . But as far as i can see N2Y has given credit where credit is due and mentioned a coupled of the things he had concerns with . A very balanced review . :y:

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:37 pm
by N2Y
richardantony wrote: I have heard like (some other things I will not mention here) once you try it you will never go back!! but I haven't tried a rudder yet and for the inshore fishing I do it just seems like an extra weight and something else to get in the way. Not to say I wouldn't want an option to add one in the future.
True. I like it from the simple fact that I'm a lazy paddler. It allows a simple left, right and repeat technique with any directional corrections done with your feet 8) I find it great for maneuvering/positioning the yak while drifting too.
richardantony wrote: ps I must learn how you paste the quotes in the box like you do.
Hit the "QUOTE" button in the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote from. Easy as.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 pm
by N2Y
Kingfish killer wrote:N2Y already paddles a viking 400 . Which in my book makes your review even more crediable . It would be very easy for someone who paddles a 400 to focus on anything negative no matter how small it may have been . But as far as i can see N2Y has given credit where credit is due and mentioned a coupled of the things he had concerns with . A very balanced review . :y:
Cheers KK.

Ps I hope you had a good reason for being up at 1.11am :yawn:

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:43 pm
by tutuyaka
i notice the rear handle is lateral and not longitudinal.. i HATE the rear handle on my ultra. its the most uncomfortable and un natural position for carrying. your wrist is twisted and it continuously slaps you in the thighs whilst "trying" to hold it away from your body to walk. bloody awful!! can someone tell me why its still designed this way and if its "supposed" to be a good design for carrying, why isnt the front positioned the same? i think i raised this thought b4 the 4.3 went into production. i know im not the only one that hates the rear handle because of its poor positioning. minor gripe on a great boat but its the minor things that make a great boat a fantastic boat.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 pm
by richardantony
tutuyaka wrote:i notice the rear handle is lateral and not longitudinal.. i HATE the rear handle on my ultra. its the most uncomfortable and un natural position for carrying. your wrist is twisted and it continuously slaps you in the thighs whilst "trying" to hold it away from your body to walk. bloody awful!! can someone tell me why its still designed this way and if its "supposed" to be a good design for carrying, why isnt the front positioned the same? i think i raised this thought b4 the 4.3 went into production. i know im not the only one that hates the rear handle because of its poor positioning. minor gripe on a great boat but its the minor things that make a great boat a fantastic boat.

Hey Id be more worried that the thing doesn't go in straight line and that the seat makes your bum sore after an hour , but stick around KK will explain how this is a" things he had concerns with"
Hell if I spend 2.2 K on a Kayak I want it to go straight and be able to sit in it for more than an hour! Call me fussy.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 pm
by YakFisho Snapps
yup i gotta agree 100% with tutuyaka on this one as i was the one carrying the awkward handle in the weekend on his ultra 4.7..very uncomfy to hold and the yak keeps hitting your thighs as you carry it just as well it was a short walk with it to the launching spot..hope ok may look into this a bit more with the positioning of the handle :y:....

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:09 pm
by Kingfish killer
richardantony wrote:
tutuyaka wrote:i notice the rear handle is lateral and not longitudinal.. i HATE the rear handle on my ultra. its the most uncomfortable and un natural position for carrying. your wrist is twisted and it continuously slaps you in the thighs whilst "trying" to hold it away from your body to walk. bloody awful!! can someone tell me why its still designed this way and if its "supposed" to be a good design for carrying, why isnt the front positioned the same? i think i raised this thought b4 the 4.3 went into production. i know im not the only one that hates the rear handle because of its poor positioning. minor gripe on a great boat but its the minor things that make a great boat a fantastic boat.

Hey Id be more worried that the thing doesn't go in straight line and that the seat makes your bum sore after an hour , but stick around KK will explain how this is a" things he had concerns with"
Hell if I spend 2.2 K on a Kayak I want it to go straight and be able to sit in it for more than an hour! Call me fussy.
Going by your sarcastic reply id say you have a problem with something i said richardantony :^)
Not to sure what your problem is ... care to enlighten me ?

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:16 pm
by tutuyaka
richardantony wrote:
tutuyaka wrote:i notice the rear handle is lateral and not longitudinal.. i HATE the rear handle on my ultra. its the most uncomfortable and un natural position for carrying. your wrist is twisted and it continuously slaps you in the thighs whilst "trying" to hold it away from your body to walk. bloody awful!! can someone tell me why its still designed this way and if its "supposed" to be a good design for carrying, why isnt the front positioned the same? i think i raised this thought b4 the 4.3 went into production. i know im not the only one that hates the rear handle because of its poor positioning. minor gripe on a great boat but its the minor things that make a great boat a fantastic boat.

Hey Id be more worried that the thing doesn't go in straight line and that the seat makes your bum sore after an hour , but stick around KK will explain how this is a" things he had concerns with"
Hell if I spend 2.2 K on a Kayak I want it to go straight and be able to sit in it for more than an hour! Call me fussy.
i couldnt comment on the comfort and tracking points because ive not been on one. but yes, that would be a hell of an issue if you dont use a rudder or another seat in conjunction with the foam offering.. eg a gts. the standard seat you get with the ultra is ok for a couple of hours and then i get severe arseache. ill upgrade to the gts when ive got enough brownie points.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 pm
by kayak chris
tutuyaka wrote:
richardantony wrote:
tutuyaka wrote:

Hey Id be more worried that the thing doesn't go in straight line and that the seat makes your bum sore after an hour , but stick around KK will explain how this is a" things he had concerns with"
Hell if I spend 2.2 K on a Kayak I want it to go straight and be able to sit in it for more than an hour! Call me fussy.
i couldnt comment on the comfort and tracking points because ive not been on one. but yes, that would be a hell of an issue if you dont use a rudder or another seat in conjunction with the foam offering.. eg a gts. the standard seat you get with the ultra is ok for a couple of hours and then i get severe arseache. ill upgrade to the gts when ive got enough brownie points.
Not trying to sound like I'm against N2Y's review, but I have to say that it's his opinion, not fact guys, many people have test paddled this boat now, and while some don't like certain aspects, others do.
I personally have paddled this yak for several hours and found the seat very comfortable compared to any other standard seat I have seen in a kayak, and without I rudder I thought it tracked well.
N2Y gave a great review of how he found the boat, but for those who haven't paddled it, do so before you form too stronger opinions of how it does or doesn't perform.

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:44 pm
by tutuyaka
kayak chris wrote:
tutuyaka wrote:

i couldnt comment on the comfort and tracking points because ive not been on one. but yes, that would be a hell of an issue if you dont use a rudder or another seat in conjunction with the foam offering.. eg a gts. the standard seat you get with the ultra is ok for a couple of hours and then i get severe arseache. ill upgrade to the gts when ive got enough brownie points.
Not trying to sound like I'm against N2Y's review, but I have to say that it's his opinion, not fact guys, many people have test paddled this boat now, and while some don't like certain aspects, others do.
I personally have paddled this yak for several hours and found the seat very comfortable compared to any other standard seat I have seen in a kayak, and without I rudder I thought it tracked well.
N2Y gave a great review of how he found the boat, but for those who haven't paddled it, do so before you form too stronger opinions of how it does or doesn't perform.
thought i said i couldnt comment on the tracking and comfort because i hadnt been on one.. ?? my gripe was with the rear carrying handle, nothing else.
although IF someone finds it uncomfortable and tracks poorly then it would be an issue. you found it was fine and that is your opinion (and others would agree with you).. n2y had a different unbiased opinion and others would agree with him. if everyone was the same we may all be paddling viking yaks. :rofl: (i like my ultra {except for the crappy rear handle})

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 pm
by kayak chris
tutuyaka wrote: you found it was fine and that is your opinion (and others would agree with you).. n2y had a different unbiased opinion and others would agree with him
That was my point ;) I'm just suggesting that before people form too stronger opinions about it, they try it for themselves.
Like you say everyoneis going to have differing opinions about everything, all I'm saying is form your own :) (also sorry not aimed at you, just a general comment)

Re: Review: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 meets 'The Cow'

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 pm
by tutuyaka
kayak chris wrote:
tutuyaka wrote: you found it was fine and that is your opinion (and others would agree with you).. n2y had a different unbiased opinion and others would agree with him
That was my point ;) I'm just suggesting that before people form too stronger opinions about it, they try it for themselves.
Like you say everyoneis going to have differing opinions about everything, all I'm saying is form your own :) (also sorry not aimed at you, just a general comment)
thats cool.. :y: thought you were firing off at me. :lol: i agree 100% with you. dont knock it until you try it.