Anyone Familiar With These Kayaks?

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Barefoothaven

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am

Hi all.... My bday is coming up in Jan 2019 and my father wants to buy me a fishing kayak. (Bless him 🤣)
I don’t want to go over $1000 and found the following on TM.
I thought I’d ask around first before researching further.
I’m a built girl and looking for stability the most.
I’m in the Far North (Whangaroa area).

Cheers

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks ... 147477.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks ... 880369.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:04 pm

the kayak in the first link you provide looks fine. id pass on the second one.

to be able to sell it for this price i am guessing it will be made in the far East, having drawn considerable inspiration from a well known NZ/American brand(s) looking at the hull shape in the pictures

disregard people who clamour to tell you the perils of buying a 'chinese made' kayak because it might sink or otherwise fail in some spectacular fashion; this is all nonsense - polyethylene (PE) is PE more or less and one of the most durable hull materials you can find

someone will probably come on to say the more expensive ones have more/better UV inhibitor in or whatever, and while im not sure it is true, even if we assume it is, so what? look after it, store it out of the weather and you will have years and years of enjoyment from it

worst case scenario, at this price you can afford to replace it more than twice as often as some of the other choices in the market and i think the chances of that being necessary are remote

looking at these 'inspired' kayaks it appears as though some of the accessories like the hatch covers are identical to those on some of the long established brands, raising the thought in my mind that those items are probably made in the far east for the established brands anyway, so who is kidding who?

i do think you should try and examine the kayak in person prior to purchase and check the delivery cost if you are unable to collect and take back home yourself as this can be significant in some cases

the areas of concern for me would be how sturdy the ancillary items like the foot pegs are, have they been made with a UV resistant plastic, and what is the price and availability if you break an item like a foot peg - they look a bit flimsy so check that replacement parts are held in new zealand and treat them with care

it might even make sense to buy spares of any vulnerable looking parts when you buy the kayak and put them in the cupboard, just in case they are more difficult to acquire at some future date - depending on the extent of the inspiration you may even find the foot peg units from other brands will bolt straight in if you wanted to upgrade them at some future date

kind regards

reiss.
Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:54 pm

This one, the Fishmaster one, is a good one in my opinion, I have the smaller version of this from the Wave Passion people and I am more than happy.

WavePassion.co.nz

I am not associated with them, just a happy customer.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Barefoothaven

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:03 pm

lespresso.... Thanks very much for that advice. The first link is the yak I’m more interested in. And the quality of the parts is something I’ll be looking into

Barefoothaven

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Marc N... Thanks. Good to hear from someone that has the same type etc. Yea this one I keep coming back to.

• Information