Tetra12 owners, where's that review??

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Paddletoad
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:38 pm

A bit disappointed that nobody's done a review of this little gal yet, looks like the perfect little get-up-and-go craft, especially when it comes time to get it on/off the roof racks.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 pm

There's a review by herb in the august edition of fishing news.
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

woodstock
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Rob Fort did a review in September 2013 nz bay fisher magazine

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:40 pm

I think Stray dog may have done one as well somewhere

(NB:. SD Review on Tetra 12 inserted by Moderator)

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 26#p177626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

lloyd
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:01 am

I'll add brief review after a few weeks with a new Tetra. It's certainly nice n light and a breeze to put on the roof rack which was one of the attractions. It's also pretty nippy for a small boat, and easy to turn. Plenty of room in the rear for storage, and also a good sized storage under the front hatch.

They are the positives, on the negative side in the wind it does weather cock significantly, and I'll probably end up getting a rudder for it to control that, which I'd wanted to avoid. It's strange none of the reviews mention that, and I'd hadn't noticed it on trial outing, disappointing as really a 12 ft boat shouldn't need a rudder. I've used a longer unruddered Prowler 13 numerous times, and not noticed any significant weather cocking at all.
I think problem is the hull relatively low profile.

The other negative (I've none angler version without the centre unit) is the bottle holder and open storage is badly designed, it always fills with water, and the fittings to attach bungys there are also in a useless position. I'd gone for the non angler version (it still has two rod holders) as the centre unit does take a small amount of room up underneath in the hatch, an inconvenience when wanting to use it for touring also with camping kit etc.

All that said I am happy with it :) , and would compare it favourably with the similarly sized Tarpon 120, which while offering some better designed features, including seat and a centre hatch, weighs a damn site more (I can't believe the supposed 2kg difference between the two) and badly designed front hatch being a potential leak point.

While talking of the Tetra, it's sad :( to hear that Ocean Kayak/Johnson's are closing their Silverdale factory next month, and so all product will be sourced from the States in the future. That's a big loss, I guess that's the overvalued NZ dollar at play again and hitting exports from NZ.

iwill2
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra4.3/p13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3154

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:40 am

lloyd wrote:I'll add brief review after a few weeks with a new Tetra. It's certainly nice n light and a breeze to put on the roof rack which was one of the attractions. It's also pretty nippy for a small boat, and easy to turn. Plenty of room in the rear for storage, and also a good sized storage under the front hatch.

They are the positives, on the negative side in the wind it does weather cock significantly, and I'll probably end up getting a rudder for it to control that, which I'd wanted to avoid. It's strange none of the reviews mention that, and I'd hadn't noticed it on trial outing, disappointing as really a 12 ft boat shouldn't need a rudder. I've used a longer unruddered Prowler 13 numerous times, and not noticed any significant weather cocking at all.

The other negative (I've none angler version without the centre unit) is the bottle holder and open storage is badly designed, it always fills with water, and the fittings to attach bungys there are also in a useless position. I'd gone for the non angler version (it still has two rod holders) as the centre unit does take a small amount of room up underneath in the hatch, an inconvenience when wanting to use it for touring also with camping kit etc.

All that said I am happy with it :) , and would compare it favourably with the similarly sized Tarpon 120, which while offering some better designed features, including seat and a centre hatch, weighs a damn site more (I can't believe the supposed 2kg difference between the two) and badly designed front hatch being a potential leak point.

While talking of the Tetra, it's sad :( to hear that Ocean Kayak/Johnson's are closing their Silverdale factory next month, and so all product will be sourced from the States in the future. That's a big loss, I guess that's the overvalued NZ dollar at play again and hitting exports from NZ.
Is this correct ?
Where theres a WILL there's a way
-PROWLER ULTRA 4.3--PROWLER 13-

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm

:?: Been on the cards for a wee while ?

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... pic=3199.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lloyd
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:47 pm

iwill2 wrote:
lloyd wrote:I'll add brief review after a few weeks with a new Tetra. It's certainly nice n light and a breeze to put on the roof rack which was one of the attractions. It's also pretty nippy for a small boat, and easy to turn. Plenty of room in the rear for storage, and also a good sized storage under the front hatch.

Is this correct ?
Yes, it's correct from the horses mouth so to speak, so definitely true. Not seen much publicity about mind, on google only article I could find was something in NZ herald from Oct/Nov last year re: the lease becoming free on the warehouse/offices. It's certainly sad new though.

Paddletoad
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Not good news at all

• Information