View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jackson kayak cuda12 and kraken 

Post Re: Jackson kayak cuda12 and kraken
Guys I do want to say not every kayak is perfect I'm not going to bag another brands kayak every kayak has its good points and it's bad points I do recommend for everyone to paddle the kayak before talking about it. I also think that if a kayak can be paddled in America it can paddle here in New Zealand just like if a new Zealand kayak can be paddled in America ;) they have water and wind with round waves just like we do :)

We have the demo day one the 17th may in Auckland at narrow neck 10am to 1pm limitless I know you will be at the boat show that weekend but you are more than welcome to come down and try it out I know you have said in the past you would like to paddle it ;) everyone is welcome

Attachments:
Auckland.jpg
[ Viewed 2390 times ]

Jackson kayak - kraken
Jackson kayak - Cuda12

Jackson kayak nz fishing team Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Jackson-Ka ... rks&__nodl
Www.Jacksonkayak.com
Www.longcloudkayaks.co.nz
Www.ramsolutions.co.nz
Www.wernerpaddles.com
Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks Brent, unfortunately Boat Show commitments mean I won't be able to make it this time, but the invite is greatly appreciated.

ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Fri May 08, 2015 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

Limitless wrote:
Thanks Brent, unfortunately Boat Show commitments mean I won't be able to make it this time, but the invite is greatly appreciated.

Anytime if your up north just message me more than happy to go for a paddle or even a fish :) I'm sure we will catch up at the Auckland classic ;)

Jackson kayak - kraken
Jackson kayak - Cuda12

Www.Jacksonkayak.com
Www.ramsolutions.co.nz
Www.wernerpaddles.com

Fri May 08, 2015 2:23 pm

brent82 wrote:
Anytime if your up north just message me more than happy to go for a paddle or even a fish :) I'm sure we will catch up at the Auckland classic ;)

Going for a fish would be cool :y: . If I don't see you beforehand make yourself known at the Classic and I'll shout a beer or two.

ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage

Fri May 08, 2015 2:30 pm
Profile WWW

brent82 wrote:
Guys I do want to say not every kayak is perfect I'm not going to bag another brands kayak every kayak has its good points and it's bad points I do recommend for everyone to paddle the kayak before talking about it. I also think that if a kayak can be paddled in America it can paddle here in New Zealand just like if a new Zealand kayak can be paddled in America ;) they have water and wind with round waves just like we do :)

Spot on Brent :y:, I have been paddling a kayak for a number of years with a big fish/rod chute area which the front hatch opens into a big area with no problems in some very telling conditions over the years and there's a lot of paddlers around the world paddling the same kayak opening the hatch.. Makes life a breeze putting fish straight into the hatch no turning around to get to the rear of the kayak and even in telling conditions a fish stringer can easily turn nasty have found that one out + other things that can go wrong on certain kayaks...

Anyway rants over let's sink some lines and beers are on limitless next time we all catch up :P

Fri May 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey guys, I was pointed to this post by one of your members and asked my opinion. Well of course my name is on the Kraken so anything I say is biased I would suspect.
Just let me say this and I will leave it at that.
Bottom line is in my opinion this design is perfectly safe. I have certainly had these types of boats in some crazy conditions, I don't think NZ has a corner on big water or big fish. There are guys fishing big water in these boats all over the world with no issues, funny I have only heard this issue in NZ. Having been to NZ twice I have not seen any bigger water there than we deal with daily out here or at other offshore fisheries. Of course the angler and common sense have to come into play. If you lack experience in big water or it is just crazy sloppy out there, don't open the hatch. Not really that big of a deal and no different than the precautions taken with any hatch on your kayak. I open my hatch in open water all the time to put in fish or to stow rods and gear. I have never had an issue and I am prepared in the slight chance I do, by always carrying a bilge pump. Funny enough the people here think that the lack of internal storage in boats like the reload is a deal breaker, but as I work with Jackson to get into boat reviews of other brands really would come across as a conflict of interest.
I really think that if you guys give the Kraken a true test in big water you will love its comfort, paddle ability and features. I am happy to let the features of the boat speak for themselves.

Jim Sammons
Kayak fishing guide and Host of The Kayak Fishing Show
www.Kayak4Fish.com
www.kayakfishingshow.com
www.KayakFishingTales.com

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:28 pm
Profile WWW

How is the kraken different from the tetra12? Doesn't the tetra have access directly into the hull?
I am not taking sides. Don't the stealths also have access directly into the hull for storing fish or rods?
If my kayak did have that access I would want to know that it was a) absolutely bombproof in case I turtled in surf and b) easy to pump out. What is it doing though that isn't being done by the rear well in most fishing kayaks? or by the addition of rod tubes like the reload, ultra or barracuda can get?
My biggest fears would be that weight would shift leaving me a long way out with an unbalanced boat or that I would put fish in there and never find them again until I discovered them by smell.

I do like the idea of a clean deck though, besides if I had caught a marlin or a big tuna there is NO WAY I would hide it below decks. I would want EVERYONE to see it.

You can't catch a fish from the couch

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:
Funny enough the people here think that the lack of internal storage in boats like the reload is a deal breaker.
I really think that if you guys give the Kraken a true test in big water you will love its comfort, paddle ability and features. I am happy to let the features of the boat speak for themselves.

I have a kayak fishing book with you paddling an ocean kayak prowler. I am pretty sure that doesn't have hull access. You seemed to be doing alright. :D

You can't catch a fish from the couch

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:41 pm

I haven't seen the Karken in the flesh as yet, let alone paddled one , however I am interested enough to give it a go when it comes time to splash out on an upgrade from from the viking predator (440 mk11) that currently use. Thanks Jackson for an affordable alternative :)
Oh , the Kraken rum is bloody good too :y:

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 pm

poodle wrote:
Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:
Funny enough the people here think that the lack of internal storage in boats like the reload is a deal breaker.

I have a kayak fishing book with you paddling an ocean kayak prowler. I am pretty sure that doesn't have hull access. You seemed to be doing alright. :D

Am sure the same could be said for a certain Mr Tapp but times change as do the shirts people wear. people discover new things and ways of doing it.

Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:33 pm

MadMike wrote:
poodle wrote:
Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:

Am sure the same could be said for a certain Mr Tapp but times change as do the shirts people wear. people discover new things and ways of doing it.
It would be hard to paddle as long as I have, especially over such a variety of categories ranging from white water, surfing, touring, and of course fishing, without having the pleasure of working with different brands. One of the biggest attractions for me personally in moving to Viking was the opportunity to have greater input into kayak design. I haven't had an opportunity to chat with Jim, but I'm guessing some of his motivations in working with Jackson will be the same. While designs and philosophies may differ at times (this is how new developments in design and techniques occur) it's exciting being able to convert literally 1,000's of hours of on water experience into something tangible - and sometimes this means moving to a brand that's willing listen to and apply new ideas.

Along with developing new kayak designs is also a responsibility to pass on the knowledge base required to use them safely. As I've posted previously in this thread, if using the Kraken or similar I'd be carrying a high capacity bilge pump just in case, and I see Jim does the same:
Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:
... I have never had an issue and I am prepared in the slight chance I do, by always carrying a bilge pump...

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

Slow down cow boy, it wasn't a dig it was pointing out that you like Jim have changed shirts and Progressed idea's.

Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:51 am

MadMike wrote:
Slow down cow boy, it wasn't a dig it was pointing out that you like Jim have changed shirts and Progressed idea's.

:lol: I haven't donned a pair of spurs :lol: I'm simply agreeing that many of us who have been paddling in this sport for a while have worked with a range of brands. In the public arena a quick look at my NZ Fishing News writings over the last 10 years will show me in Perception/Mission and Ocean Kayak as well as Viking.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 pm
Profile WWW

poodle wrote:
Jim Sammons LJKF wrote:

And if you go further back you will find me in an OK Scupper Pro and before that a Scupper and before that fishing from my surfboard.

Every change has been an improvement and I am sure will continue to be. I have heard plenty of good things about Viking boats as well as plenty of perceived negatives. That is why there are so many kayak brands and models out there, no one perfect boat for everyone. We all have different wants and needs from the hull design to the fishing features.

I just don't think it is my job to bring down any other boat, but to express what I think are the positives of the boats that I helped design and defend them if brought into question. Then it is up to the public to jump in these boats and make the choice that works for them.

More kayak fisherman on the water in any boat is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Jim Sammons
Kayak fishing guide and Host of The Kayak Fishing Show
www.Kayak4Fish.com
www.kayakfishingshow.com
www.KayakFishingTales.com

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 am
Profile WWW

Well I've done it. Mighty " D'Bri" has gone on to a new home. I shall take possession of a Kraken of my own very soon and if anyone is likely to stuff things up out there on the big blue it will be me!
Watch this space..... ;)

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:39 pm

dedant wrote:
Well I've done it. Mighty " D'Bri" has gone on to a new home. I shall take possession of a Kraken of my own very soon and if anyone is likely to stuff things up out there on the big blue it will be me!
Watch this space..... ;)

Nice one mate you will enjoy it trust me I have been out in my one in some rough weather and had no trouble she is very stable ☺

Jackson kayak - kraken
Jackson kayak - Cuda12

Www.Jacksonkayak.com
Www.ramsolutions.co.nz
Www.wernerpaddles.com

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 am