How Long is it?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

So, how long have you been kayaking

1 year or less
30%
1-2 Years
13%
2-5 Years
34%
5-10 years
14%
10-20 years
3%
Veteran 20+ Yrs
5%

Total votes: 76
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 am

Yep, thought that would drag in the punters 8) but how long have you been actively kayaking?
(Active as in a paddle at least once every couple of months)

Anyone ticking the Veterans option must also give a Roll of Honour of their past vessels too...

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 am

Probably double the 20+ then some-
-Old Ply open cockpit Rob Roy style that I found washed up after a flood as a kid-( rotten and was'nt worth effort I put trying to fix it.)
-Fibrecraft Tiger 14' Touring kayak bought at 16 .
-Platypus , common scouting training kayak , high volume touring ,white water .
-QK Surf Slipper , short surfing stunt kayak
-QK Scorpion Diolen hull competitive Slalom kayak
-Olympic Slalom kayak
-K1 Flat water racer
-18' Canadian Canoe
-Southern Light Double Sea kayak
-Ron Augustin Sea Bear Sea kayak
-Perception Method Air Stunt Kayak
-QK Torres Sea Kayak
-Barracuda Albatross Sea Kayak
probably forgot a few and paddled heaps of others
Last edited by paddlesnap on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Blimmin Heck HLD, thanks VERY much for creating another list where I'm categorised as a "veteran" :headbang: :lol:

Here's a short list of craft:
"Canadian" canoes - various (this is where I got started)
Old school slalom kayaks - various (fibreglass + rocks = short life expectancy - also where I developed my yakking addiction/insanity :tmi: )
First plastic sit-in - Perception Spectrum
First decent plastic sit-in - Challenge Sequel
Kayak I covered greatest distances in - Perception Eco-Bezhig (approx 70km return on one memorable day)
First sit-on-top to see serious use - Perception Swing (this started the salt water kayak fishing addiction)

After this point I became closely associated with the kayaking industry, and then became imbedded in it. As a result I've "owned", paddled, and fished from a variety of craft. Listed are the ones I spent more than 100 on-water hours fishing from (rather than simply paddling and experimenting with):
Scupper Dive, Scrambler XT, Prowler 15, Prowler 13, Elite 4.5, Elite 4.1, Profish 440, Profish 400

Latest acquisition (a couple of weeks ago): Barracuda Beachcomber - time to go back to school and brush up on the old skills before purchasing an ultra high performance long distance touring boat with lots and lots of lovely carbon and kevlar :clap: :lol:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:07 pm

I sneak in as a veteran purely due to my age. Never been an avid Kayaker. Back in the UK I was only a Canoer. My first yak/canoe was a hand me down canoe from a lady in the British slalom team when I was about 12. Glass thing that needed a lot of work when I got it. That lasted me for over 20 years until we moved back here. It was then donated to Horncastle River Care group that I started to clean up the river. We lived on the River Bain so many a night was spent paddling up and down harrasing the local fish population. Mostly for access rather than fishing from it. Did manage to spear the odd Pike at night from it with an old fence post though.
Most fun though was the Yak that I bought when I was about 20 and staretd taking it a bit more seriously with more of an all round river boat that I took on some of the less taxing whitewater runs. River dart and Etive being a couple of favourites. Never tried anything above grade 3 but still had a lot of fun.
Spent a couple fo years off the yaks when I first got back to NZ as everyone seemed to have SOT's and I didn't trust em. :lol: Look at me now. What a twat eh?
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 pm

7 months now, and what a blast it's been.
Caught more and bigger fish than ever before :y:
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:56 pm

My first introduction was <mumblemumble> years ago at high school – where “canoeing” was offered as an option. Every week we’d trudge the 2km to the local Sea Scout den and drag a motley collection of fibreglass yaks out and proceed to paddle up and down the suburban estuary.
Lessons learnt early included never paddle under a tree of Shags and glass fibres got everywhere causing embarrassing itching when you’re back in class!

But, I was hooked. With visions of competing in the Commonwealth Games (I was realistic about it and didn’t aim for the Olympics :lol: ) I bought a Novacraft tourer, complete with PVC spraydeck.
Great fun. My mate and I used it as a packhorse for ferrying SCUBA gear along the coast from the carpark at Long Bay until a careless fumble with a weightbelt made for a tedious hike back, carrying SCUBA kit and a waterlogged yak. The hamfisted repairs never held up (naïve brain never even considered washing salt off first) and eventually flogged it. Then the plastics started coming in. I bought one of the first Perception Dancers (it was red, and very expensive, but the nice man said you could drive trucks over them…) Trying to carry it up Queen Street back to the car without being done for assault with a blunt weapon was a challenge.
This wee boat took me many places, several insane trips out to Motutapu, commuting to work (Sugar refinery) and generally being a hoon in ferry wakes. Rolls were…well, they weren’t rolls. Rarely I’d come up using sheer brute force and a gasp of air but mostly I had to pop the top and swim several hundred metres ashore. Exactly the sort of person I’d call a :swear: now :lol:
That Dancer lived with me for the next 20 years before I finally heard about FISHING KAYAKS – Yeah! This was the next evolution from sitting on a beach not catching anything! Persuasive arguments were put forward to wife, promises of unfinished projects being completed, huge quantities of fresh fish and even outright sulking when it looked as though I was losing the battle, but I got my Swing.
Made a lot of mistakes on that one in pre-KFNZ days. The important thing was I was bringing home better and more fish. I think that Swing gave me my first ever opportunity to give fish away.
Read the next bit really fast for best effect:
Sold that after a couple of years, and brought a Prowler 13, then flicked that for another Swing and a Sequel (One of those deals you can’t walk away from), Swing#2 eventually left and made room for another P13… an Elite 4.5 slipped in there too (Still had the 13). Flicked the Elite for a Prijon Marlin SiK, then moved that on to get the Greenland. Then there was the P4.3 …

Whereas I once was obviously the tool of the kayak makers, I think I’ve managed to work it out of my system now :lol:
(Mind you, those Stealths do have some nice lines….)

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:13 pm

This Thread has only been up for a few hours and its been immensely great reading !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 pm

nice to see you veterans being able to use the computers :lol:

Sorry, in all honesty you guys rock with your experiances and knowledge it is awesome.
i only wish i had discovered kayaking and kayak fishing at an earlier age

Happy paddling for years to come

Rusty :y:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Rusty wrote:nice to see you veterans being able to use the computers :lol:
I'll give you a slap with me slide rule in a minute :lol:

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

I started yakin at the beachaven sea scouts as a kid carried on untill I left home at 17 but from then untill I was nearly 30 I hadn't so much as looked at a yak but that all changed when my mate went out with someone in their spare yak and caught a bunch of nice fish. He was "hooked" (excuse the pun!) and ended up getting a yak for himself and also urging me to do the same(we were both into fishing and going out almost every weekend at this stage) I found a relatively cheep yak by accident (the missis didn't think it was cheep at the time) and not knowing anything headed out there with a rough as old boat rod and caught a bunch of really nice fish! - I was HOOKED. I've had my trusty old tempo fisherman for well over five years now and learn't heeps most of it by trial and error, mainly lots of error! I've broken rods, been rolled over had the yak take off from where it was anchored (while I was diving) and lost countless items over the side. The first year I got the yak I went out every weekend no matter what the weather (at times I got close to being blowen off the deck) and most of it was going solo as my mate wasn't as keen as I was but now I don't mind missing the occaisional weekend - if I have too! I've had the most spectacular times, caught some stunning fish and seen some beautifull streches of coastline and I have barely scrached the surface, I hope to still be yaking for the rest of my life!!

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:(Mind you, those Stealths do have some nice lines….)
They do indeed. You know you want one. :devil:
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 am

Kerry wrote:if I have too! I've had the most spectacular times, caught some stunning fish and seen some beautifull streches of coastline and I have barely scrached the surface, I hope to still be yaking for the rest of my life!!

Yeah I'm the same , and have been working around the coastline checking it out with some amazing trips.
The diving and fishing are just another added bonus reason to get out there and enjoy it :rock:
Have met some interesting people while camping and shared many a meal of fresh Sea food with appreciative folk.

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:39 pm

I started when my mates dad mad a canvas over wooden stringers kayak. I was gobsmacked - it was huge fun but less fun around sticks in rivers... We learnt a lot... That would be 45 years ago.... (sweet jesus)

In scouts we hooked up with the Arawa Canoe club in chch and I got to lean a few skills, entered the avon river race a few times and leant I sucked at whitewater kayaking (to be fair it was in a touring kayak). These were all fibreglass boats and were average at everything and terrible at nothing. We broke a few...

A decade later I saw my first SOT - the mighty scrambler XT. I just had to have it (still got it) then the Scupper Pro a year later... Now Vicki has a cobra and we have a flow as well...

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:36 pm

My third year fishing from a yak started off in a borrowed scrambler then Espri and now Profish 440, wish I had started sooner, have caught heaps of fish seen all sorts of marine life, coastline i would never have seen, met a heap of new people who share my passion for fishing and a happy member of the facebook of fishing.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 pm

I started out in Wanganui as a teenager about 43 years ago. Like Paul in NZ, in a home made canvas over wooden frame kayak. Wanganui river was our domain. I remember once I had a slug gun in the back of the yak and shot at a goose (or swan - can't recall). Didn't expect to get it but landed the slug right through its head. Bloody thing started swimming in circles like a crazy thing and people up on the town bridge were staring. I raced over to it and threw it in the back and took off home and buried it behind the chook house. When I told dad much much later he said why did you bury it, we would have eaten it.

At the time in Wanganui there was a club called the Overlanders down on Anzac Parade. They were a kayaking club so never could work out why they were called the Overlanders.

Loooooooooooooooooooooong gap until I purchased my fishing yak just over two years ago so I could get out fishing whenever I wanted. At the time of buying I was keen as, but didn't appreciate how much I would come to enjoy it.

I put myself down as 2 - 5 years.

Tara Yakka
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 pm

We had an old Canadian canoe we used to paddle at Waikanae beach back when I was a pre-teen (also a couple of Goat boats... for the surf). At college camps we would paddle on the Otaki river and during 7th form (dont know what 'year' that is these days) our PE class got more into rolls and rapids which was awesome :rock: We also had canoes on our school holidays at Waikawa beach and would travel up and down the river eeling or exploring (even won the boat day they have at Waikawa once).
A bloody long time later jumped onto a neighbour's yak for a fish and that was it. 4yrs later still loving it.
Awesome poll HLD, :y: you've brought to light, for me that kayaking/canoeing has been in my life for quite some time and with the fishing aspect combined, it should be here for many more.
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

• Information