What was that..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

When you hear a splash behind you, and turn to look and see nothing, do you:

Poll ended at Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 am

Think nah its nothing.
11%
Remind yourself of the odds of being gulped up by a HUGE FREAKING SHARKKKKKKK
23%
Pee your pants slightly
16%
Check out what fish life you might think is around, and go chase it.
50%

Total votes: 44
Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:34 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote: 4+ metre great white.
As mad as it sounds I've often thought they would be such an awesome creature to see in the water out on the kayak. I don't believe kayaks getting attacked by them is common enough for just seeing one minding it's own business to cause panic.

Beaker

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 pm

I recall seeing something where either orcas or dolphins blow bubbles to disturb baitfish before feeding.
My first thought would be option 3 then I would be checking to see what G1 was up to.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Prowlin wrote:
As mad as it sounds I've often thought they would be such an awesome creature to see in the water out on the kayak. I don't believe kayaks getting attacked by them is common enough for just seeing one minding it's own business to cause panic.
In my case it was just chillin' out next to me for about a minute, swam away then turned and charged straight at me. Rolled on its side and eyeballed me as it rolled on its side.
It seemed to be sizing me up which gave me the S :swear: 's . Turned out to it must've just been curious.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:
Prowlin wrote:
In my case it was just chillin' out next to me for about a minute, swam away then turned and charged straight at me. Rolled on its side and eyeballed me as it rolled on its side.
It seemed to be sizing me up which gave me the S :swear: 's . Turned out to it must've just been curious.
I can only imagine the panic when it turned and charged at you :puke:
I personally hope i never see a shark that big when im in my yak ! :worried:

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am

Yup would scare the bagibers out of me as well. there big and beautiful but very very menacing.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 am

6 pee ya pants people :lol: :lol: Come on and confess who you are and be proud!!!

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am

I.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 am

Think nah its nothing... but really thinking WTF was that... :?:

DJ
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 am

Ok ,, i admit it, im in the pee your pants camp.
Several times i have been shit scared when out of the blue (usualy when im day dreaming) there is a loud splash, or worse a blow hole going off in close proximity. That normaly does it for me..
Im ok once i spot the culprit, but its that split second of not knowing. :lol:
Of Course there is a person on here who takes great delight in giving you a foot by foot gude to how close a large shark is to yah, when you are looking into the sun and cant see it ,,, no names a :^)

Hunt&gather
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

I saw a strange sight yesterday on the water - a whole heap of thrashing around and a dark shape porpoising about 100m away. I was anchored so couldn't be bothered chasing it but looked like a dolphin, then a decent shark, but then it was throwing something around so figured it must have been a seal. Thrashed around for about 5 mins before it disappeared. I think I would only pee my pants a little if it was a shark larger than the yak.

I don't think i'd have my feet in the water up at the 3 Kings like I saw Rob Fort doing fighting a kingfish. The beasts up there would swallow your yak in one bite :tmi:
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 am

DJ wrote:Of Course there is a person on here who takes great delight in giving you a foot by foot gude to how close a large shark is to yah, when you are looking into the sun and cant see it ,,, no names a :^)

I still giggle about that now mate... :rofl: counted it down by the metre oh for maybe a 100 meters and the whole time DJ couldnt see it because it was head on and I could plainly see it as I was side onto it... that tremble in your voice as it kept getting closer and closer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Classic buddy system in operation there Kev :y: Sharks are always good value when there's a group of you. Couple of us were fishing blue water up here year before last when I spotted a medium sized Mako cruising around between us. Yelled to my mate that we had some company, and he turned to have a look...and promptly fell in.
I swear he never even got wet he was back in the yak that fast, I was doubled up with laughter, and still giggling about it now as I type.

Back on line though,
Scariest one for me was fishing at night, about 2am I suppose.
It was one of those summer nights where you could see the reflection of the stars in the water it was that calm.
I was sitting there, just zoning out when there was a good solid bump at the back of the yak – the noise I made can’t physically be written down, but it was fairly primal :lol:

I whipped around to see this huge shape rolling around in the water behind me – a huge fecking log! Took a fair few minutes before the heart rate came down.

Any big splashes that I can't identify are always dolphins, nice friendly smiley dolphins... :lol:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Waikatoyakka has done this to me at Papa Aroha.... "theres a shark coming up behind you.....its getting closer..... :swear: its the biggest one we have seen today" all while I cant see it as I am facing the wrong way.....Ohhh there goes a little pee in my pants :lol:

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 pm

One of my 'favorite' memories of diving was doing some anchor checks in the vicinity of some large bronzies, and my work 'mates' doing the jaws music over the helmet intercom :sweat:

Biggest brown moment kayaking was paddling across bream bay, flat calm, still, quite dark, and the VHF suddenly squawked.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

profishpaul
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler 4.3 elite

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 pm

im with you G1 but i think i would sh_t my pants ,so ill take option number 5,even though i havent seen the man in the grey jacket :sweat: :sweat: :(

murf
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 am

I bet you guys can generate some good yarns over an ale. If I saw a Mako I would definately :swear: myself. Those puppies will clear the surface by their own body length for a feed.
I've been pretty scared twice, both times unnecessarily. Leaning over the gunwhale of the Julie Anne II to retrieve a cray float and a submarine way longer than the boat comes into focus as we get close to the float. I asked the skipper what it was and he quite calmly says "Oh it's a White Pointer". I retract my gaff arm and refuse to go near it, so he goes to the next one. Two hours later he starts laughing out of nowhere so I ask him what's so funny. "Shoulda seen your face when I told you that Basking shark was a Great White." :$
Second time was on the yak anchored up in the channel here right on Dusk, calm conditions but the tide ripping in. Feet over the side, senses straining for indications of a bite. Something hits my foot side on so hard it tips me sideways along the yak. Won't repeat the verbal reaction but relieved to see a completely submerged log bob back to the surface after contact with my foot. Heart still racing when I got back to the truck. It's funny afterwards but if I had a dodgy ticker I would of had a heart attack at the time.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 am

8) Good thread- bring's up a few memories, have actually had a shark smack into me as I surfaced up a line when commercial diving it was in poor vis( cant see hand in front of mask) above a submarine pipeline burial machine.
They used to get curious and cruise the slick from the dredgings and I was "nothing on the guage but Siebbe Gorman" so pulling up quick hand over hand exhaling as I surfaced and light silhouetted large shape that I initially thought was my back up diver coming to search for me so I spun around the rope but it still collected me and as I surfaced saw him standing on the gantry with a perplexed look.
Yep he saw it as well and was impressed with the manoeuvre as I'd clobbered it with the tank .

• Information