What do you do..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

If you break the magic mark (20lb) what do you do?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 pm

If it's the first one, keep it for a trophy. After that put them back.
58%
Keep it, keep it, keep it.
8%
Put it back after a loving embrace/photo.
25%
Put it back and treat anyone who says keep it like an idiot.
2%
They actually grow that big?
8%

Total votes: 64
kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:56 pm

yeah I was thinking the same... Rob does them... And Hainesy - your wife wouldnt like you speaking about her as a "trophy stag shoulder" :?:

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Fletcher wrote:
Hainesy wrote:I made my decision a long time ago that when I catch "the big one" it will be mounted and go up on the wall.....already have a spot set aside for it......and before anyone decides to fire some flak, I also shoot things and have a trophy stag shoulder mounted on my wall !!
I looked into how much that was the other day, DAM its expensive. Isn't it like $600 to get a big Snapper mounted?
Actualy im with hainsey, my first one to break the majic 20lb gets framed!!! if i cant get a fantastic pic, it will get mounted. To hell with the $$$$ ;)

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Sea mounts up here do a very very good glass mould. skin mounts need maintenance
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:01 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:
WaikatoYakka wrote::angel: I'd love to say that I'd put it back but TBO, first time I'm not sure that I could.
Thought you wouldve caught a 20lb by now Bryce???
I've been trying really hard ;(

I think I've probably hooked 2 that must've come close..... you know how the rest of the story goes :rofl:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Rob Fort has an awesome example in his shop. Have a look next time you pass and it will be hard to not ask him to do it. He also did a how to a while back in Coast to Coast I think. A lot of work but great result.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Hodgey
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 pm

I caught a real good one estimated at over 20lb, but only estimated as had no equipment for weighing one on the water. To this day I get a lot of pleasure from looking at the photo my buddy took of me cuddling the beast.

Comps are a dilema for me because I would rather put them back unless they are obviously f...ed. But, at the same time I like prizes.

Hard to argue with anyone that wants to keep a good one. But, I agree with some of the other posts that its a shame to see lots of big fish taken from one area.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 pm

I've kept a 25lber, my PB, plenty of photos taken, ate it (along with lots of other people), got a truck load of flack for it, if I catch a 30lber tomorrow who knows but would prob keep it - if I was in a comp I would keep it for sure...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 pm

I have very strong opinions on this subject ...... mainly to do with anyone giving someone else a hard time about keeping a large fish .

I havnt caught a 20lber on my yak yet , when i do i will most definitley keep it .
I might even keep a couple after my first one too and will of course keep any in a comp .
Anyone who dares to have a crack at me for keeping one will get strips torn off them .
I have no time for :swear: who want to get stuck into someone for keeping a fish !

Now if i was lucky enough to catch 20+ lbers on a regular basis like some of the Naki boys do then no doubt the buzz of catching such a large fish would wear off and id let them go as some of the Naki boys do :y:

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 am

Kingfish killer wrote:I have very strong opinions on this subject ...... mainly to do with anyone giving someone else a hard time about keeping a large fish .

I havnt caught a 20lber on my yak yet , when i do i will most definitley keep it .
I might even keep a couple after my first one too and will of course keep any in a comp .
Anyone who dares to have a crack at me for keeping one will get strips torn off them .
I have no time for :swear: who want to get stuck into someone for keeping a fish !

Now if i was lucky enough to catch 20+ lbers on a regular basis like some of the Naki boys do then no doubt the buzz of catching such a large fish would wear off and id let them go as some of the Naki boys do :y:
:y:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MadMike

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 am

G1 wrote:Recent experience tells me this is a very relative topic. Be prepared to cop some flak if you keep a big fish. I did and im pretty over it. I kept my fish because it was pretty :swear: ed It wouldnt have survived. I still believe its personal preference to keep or release... My advice is that if you keep it prepare for everyones opinions on it (good and bad). I wont keep another unless it looks like it will die. Its a hassle to do something with all the meat :lol:
I think G1 that there's a fare few kept by a well known Yakka as well for the same reason. Brought up from deep water blown out and non returnable. I think as well that there's a fare few of the grievers out there that that don't practice what they preach or haven't had any/many to really be able to comment. We weigh an amazing amount of + 20's every year through here, it's quite surprising sometimes who it is. when reports are posted on various forums they don't mention it at all and there's photos of the fish alive and kicking.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

lenzman

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:50 am

G1 wrote:Recent experience tells me this is a very relative topic. Be prepared to cop some flak if you keep a big fish. I did and im pretty over it. I kept my fish because it was pretty :swear: ed It wouldnt have survived. I still believe its personal preference to keep or release... My advice is that if you keep it prepare for everyones opinions on it (good and bad). I wont keep another unless it looks like it will die. Its a hassle to do something with all the meat :lol:
I think your right G1 this is a subject that polarises people. It really comes down to a personal choice :) . Personally I have never killed a 20lber not even my first, but thats me. I wouldn't begrudge anyone killing one :) . I'd sooner see though those guys that get regular 20lbers (lucky buggas) :envy: putting some of them back especially when they have already caught a feed. Snapper are slow growers as we all know and so take some time to replace, that and its well know the bigger the fish the more eggs they produce :!: .

I fished my first kayak comps this year and at Bridge to Cape may have put a winning Snapper back, Why you might ask because I'd already killed two 15lbrs and didn't want to kill another good fish. The fish I put back wouldn't have been 20lbs but would have probaly been 16-17lb. Typically I don't kill fish much over 10lbs. That said after a rethink of what I did I should have killed that fish if it was important for me to win. So in the end it comes down to individual choice and what you personally want from your fishing :y: .
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm

I went for "put it back" in the poll, because there's no option that says "keep about 10% of them, send the rest back".

I usually don't weigh them, but my equivalency guess is 83cm = 20lb (I've weighed a 77cm at bang on 9.1kg, another at 85cm at 8.95, for example. It's only rough...).

I'd catch 25-40 this 83cm size or more each year, and bring about 3 or 4 of them home, mainly if in a comp or their backbones are broken in lifting aboard. I only mention individual catches that others have seen so can be verified - never take a camera out on the kayak, seldom on my other boats - and if no-one saw it, it ain't true.

Eating: the big snapper can be made bad or made good. If you're going to fry them, then slice the fillets in 3 horizontally. (Cook them too thick, and they go tough.) If smoking, slow cold smoked gives you a product like smoked crayfish - which is what happened to the 2 mid-20s ones I caught on the NKFC outing at Bland Bay May last year. Either way, just as yum as any other size, IMO.

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:21 pm

I will keep my first 20lb snapper whether its in a comp or just a casual saturday outing. i know i will not be wasting the fish, as in it will be eaten. i personnally do not mind if people keep or release their big fish, well done for catching the fish is all i'll be saying. at some stage i'm planning on catching one (gold rush) and will not be excepting anyone giving me shit or forcing their views on me. i fish to catch fish what i do with that fish is my call and i'll live with it.

charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 pm

I kept my first, and only, 20+ off the yak it was 11kg. Bragging rights and all that and it fed a lot of people. My neighbour appreciated the head and frame. I caught it on 4kg braid and it was stuffed so it probably wouldn't have survived anyway. If I catch another what will I do? I intend to release it but I guess I wont make that decision until I'm looking at it over the side of the kayak.
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

Master Baiter
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Fishing Frenzy
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3166

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:00 am

I ticked the first option, although i should of probably ticked the last one :lol: as at this stage that whole scenario is only hyperthetical, but i would have to keep my first one as anyone that knows me would not believe me :rofl:
Pobodys Nerfect
PROFISH 440
ZMU3166

lenzman

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:09 am

Master Baiter wrote:I ticked the first option, although i should of probably ticked the last one :lol: as at this stage that whole scenario is only hyperthetical, but i would have to keep my first one as anyone that knows me would not believe me :rofl:
You know the old saying MB "All fishermen are liars, except for you and I , and I have my doubts about you". :rofl:
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Thats baloney about big ones being tough - thats what sharp knives are for you slice em to the appropriate thickness and some of those fat big fullahs are beautiful eating.
same as catch and release Kingies , I've seen Turkeys throwing skull dragged fish back that are buggared and just feed the sharks .
Good to give the fish a sporting chance and play em on light gear .
All this competition jazz is hypocritical too as a lot of top grading is done and fish goes to waste there too-
They are only just starting to address this with new competitions with photo and measure being the Go :y:
Fishing is and always will be about money wether you are the Dude eating them or the Dudes selling the gear or competition entries, and the Commercial fishermen and Foreign charter boats just keep on Plundering so the miniscule amount the weekend warriors catch dosn't warrant getting your tits in a tangle over .

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:22 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Thats baloney about big ones being tough - thats what sharp knives are for you slice em to the appropriate thickness and some of those fat big fullahs are beautiful eating.
same as catch and release Kingies , I've seen Turkeys throwing skull dragged fish back that are buggared and just feed the sharks .
All this competition jazz is hypocritical too as a lot of top grading is done and fish goes to waste there too-
They are only just starting to address this with new competitions with photo and measure being the Go :y:
Fishing is and always will be about money wether you are the Dude eating them or the Dudes selling the gear or competition entries, and the Commercial fishermen and Foreign charter boats just keep on Plundering so the miniscule amount the weekend warriors catch dosn't warrant getting your tits in a tangle over .
The 20lb'r I smoked come out bloody beautiful.... But I will say that their skin is way tougher tha the smaller snapper

MadMike

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:24 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Thats baloney about big ones being tough - thats what sharp knives are for you slice em to the appropriate thickness and some of those fat big fullahs are beautiful eating.
Those weekend warriors you may be surprised how mush they catch in a weekend. For example the beach and boat weighs and sell more than 20 tonne of fish for the weekend between 2000 anglers. some catch lots and some catch not a lot, there's a good spread of ability throughout. so that's 20 + tonne in 1 weekend from rec fisho's... Point is dont underestimate what the rec guys keep because it is a lot bigger than most would imagine.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Another moral high ground thread oops poll... I will take what I want, and have right to do so as long as its within the parameters if the law... I dont judge nor would I expect to be judged :!: I have seen some pics of yaks loaded with monster snaps from the far north, doesnt upset me, some areas are just stacked with bigger and better fish than others... lucky buggers :y:

• Information