Fishing for What?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 am

From YakSolo_333

"If you could fish anywhere in NZ, where would you go and for what species ?"
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 am

Having just been to the Three Kings and fished around the islands, I'm now foaming at the mouth to go back and fish the Banks (both King Bank and Middlesex Bank). Target specie? Top of the list would have to be bass (because though I've yak caught plenty of puka but I've never had a bass), but if the season allowed any of the big tuna or a marlin :clap:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

Kermadecs.

Target Northern Kahawai.

It's a different species, my guide to NZ fishes records biggest ever Kahawai as 17lb and almost certainly one of these that strayed to Northland. Bound to be bigger ones up there, so an opportunity for a world record (possibly unofficial) Kahawai.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Limitless

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 am

MikeAqua wrote:Kermadecs.

Target Northern Kahawai.

It's a different species, my guide to NZ fishes records biggest ever Kahawai as 17lb and almost certainly one of these that strayed to Northland. Bound to be bigger ones up there, so an opportunity for a world record (possibly unofficial) Kahawai.
I've seen a skin mount of a 16lb Kermadec strain kahawai - very very impressive! :o
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage

Hunt&gather
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 pm

There are some awesome Puka, bluenose and bass coming out of the Wellington trench at the moment. Would love to have a crack. Too much current to get out there under paddle power but I have a mothership on standby :rock:

We have identified a bluenose spot within paddle distance we'd like to have a nudge at - has anyone caught a bluenose that was without the aid of a mothership?
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

Limitless

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Hunt&gather wrote: ... has anyone caught a bluenose that was without the aid of a mothership?
To my knowledge no one as yet has a "paddle from shore" bluenose, that's one of my personal goals :y:

Hunt&gather

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Well if your presentation goes ahead down here Stephen and the weather is favorable then maybe we could hatch a plan. 2-3km offshore paddle with a bit of a drive to the launch site. Fish up to 20kg are being caught by boat fishers.
Viking Profish 400 Lite

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Ranfurly Banks :y: Been there many times, just an unreal place to fish, anything and everything there.... Great to do some yak fishing there.... Puka/Bluenose fishing becomes a game of getting it the boat before the Makos have them :sweat:

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

For all those trips where you are in shall we say "monster waters" I would only do with a support craft very close. I have fished from boats and have had many experiences that would have been bloody bad news in a kayak. e.g. a 3 metre thresher shark with a 1.5m tail beating the boat and hitting a person on deck. Another example of a mako jumping into the boat. Or another with a large shark ramming the boat.

Just be real careful out there guys and think "what would I do if :swear: happened?"

But I can't wait to hear about all the big fish TR's from this summer :y:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Limitless

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Hunt&gather wrote:Well if your presentation goes ahead down here Stephen and the weather is favorable then maybe we could hatch a plan. 2-3km offshore paddle with a bit of a drive to the launch site. Fish up to 20kg are being caught by boat fishers.
Now that sounds VERY interesting. We are in the process of firming up the dates and logistics, but it looks as though I'll be running the seminar on the evening of Tuesday 4th or Wednesday 5th of September. As soon as everything is firm I'll get in touch.

YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 pm

awondering wrote:Ranfurly Banks :y: Been there many times, just an unreal place to fish, anything and everything there.... Great to do some yak fishing there.... Puka/Bluenose fishing becomes a game of getting it the boat before the Makos have them :sweat:
Ranfurly Banks on kayak Kev? :sweat:
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

awondering

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Why not... you would need a good window of weather to do it though... :y:

awondering

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm

YakSolo_333 wrote:
awondering wrote:Ranfurly Banks :y: Been there many times, just an unreal place to fish, anything and everything there.... Great to do some yak fishing there.... Puka/Bluenose fishing becomes a game of getting it the boat before the Makos have them :sweat:
Ranfurly Banks on kayak Kev? :sweat:

Oh mothership required of course :!:

Limitless

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm

destin wrote:For all those trips where you are in shall we say "monster waters" I would only do with a support craft very close. I have fished from boats and have had many experiences that would have been bloody bad news in a kayak. e.g. a 3 metre thresher shark with a 1.5m tail beating the boat and hitting a person on deck. Another example of a mako jumping into the boat. Or another with a large shark ramming the boat.

Just be real careful out there guys and think "what would I do if :swear: happened?"

But I can't wait to hear about all the big fish TR's from this summer :y:
This is an interesting one and I don't want to hijack a thread - if discussion starts in detail we can get Mental to shift it to it's own heading.

Personally I make zero differentiation between fishing most coastal locations and fishing exotic locations from motherships - I always have the "what if...?" question floating around in the back of my mind at all times. For example I've boated two threashers to the kayak so far, both paddling off Stoney Bay on the Coromandel Peninsula's east coast, so there's potential any time, anywhere. IMHO exotic locations from a mothership aren't any reason to be more vigilant, likewise fishing your home turf within casting distance from shore is no reason to be any less vigilant, the rules of common sense apply at all times.

That said, I've now done numerous mothership trips to "monster waters" and we've always had the big boat nearby. If nothing else it makes landing big kings, puka, and bluenose much easier if you're keeping something for the table :y:

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Agreed limitless. I do think the chances of something bad happening at the Ranfurly Bank is more likely than in Auckland Harbour. We just need to be prepared as you say.

That said I'm about to do the most dangerous thing possible and cycle home. Wish me luck.

Oh and back on topic I would love to catch a marlin or large tuna from a kayak. It's on the to do. Just working my way up slowly :lol:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Having fished the Ranfurly Banks before and caught some exceptional species there it would be something else to do it in a kayak if the weather allowed .

Id be keen on an XL Bluenose , Puka or Bass .

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

What if is a very good place to start ...
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hunt&gather

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:51 pm

The adventure aspect is what hooked me on kayak fishing. Every decision you make on the water is by you, no charter skipper telling you where to find the fish. I find it the ultimate man vs fish battle where you have to know your stuff. Safety first always, I carry a PLB at all times plus VHF and only go wide when there is a decent weather window.

I too would like to catch a marlin/big tuna but I'd rather hone my skills targeting local species especially the ones boaties think are exclusive to their club :y:

I also like the fact money does not Greatly influence your success on a kayak. Comes down to endurance and determination rather than how many horses are pushing your gin palace.

Off topic rant over
Viking Profish 400 Lite

awondering

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:06 pm

destin wrote:Agreed limitless. I do think the chances of something bad happening at the Ranfurly Bank is more likely than in Auckland Harbour.

I on the other hand would feel safer fishing the banks than Auckland harbour :!:

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Chatam Islands, soft bait only with a fully sealed catch bin ha ha. The thing that really attracts me to this place is the diving tho.

• Information