Kayaker or Fisher?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Are you a kayaker who fishes, or a fisher who kayaks?

Im a kayaker
8%
Im a Fisher
92%

Total votes: 84
Bronzy

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:53 am

:?: I cant seem to make up my mind which I like the most Fishing /kayaking :worried: I think I will have to go 50/50 they both are just as special to me . One compliments the other !!!! :) :)

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 am

As it was only one or the other decision had to tick fisher as I have been doing that the longest as was fortunate enough to live close to the sea as a child and have an avid fishing uncle who took time to teach me how to use a surfcaster at an early age.And even before that Dad who taught us how to use handlines ,rudderboard,hinakis(eel fyke nets) whitebait nets ,setnets drag nets ,spears , longlines,nickel spinners,jelly,etc .(Spearfishing mate calls me 'Wall of Death")
The kayaking is a later development as even as a young lad who found an old beat up plywood canoe and wanted to fix it up I wasn't allowed (Wise caring Mother ). Plenty of tinny and wooden double ender whaleboat style dory experience rowing and outboards till eventually the inevitable and got a fibreglass Kayak from money earnt on school holiday jobs.
In actual fact fascination with all things watersports has been pretty equally divided between diving ,kayaking, fishing, just the emphasis changes for variation :rock: :rock:

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Without a doubt im 110% hard core fisherman , love it , cant get enough of it ! :inlove:

I do appreciate some of the cool things i see while in the yak eg whales , dolphins , ect !

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:Without a doubt im 110% hard core fisherman , love it , cant get enough of it ! :inlove:

I do appreciate some of the cool things i see while in the yak eg whales , dolphins , ect !
On ya KK I am with ya mate I am just being somewhat polite :lol: :lol: :lol: A :^)

Rusty
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Im loving the kayaking but a fisherman first ,would still fish without a kayak but would not give up fishing for kayaking.

The mix is perfect for me Fishing from a kayak :D
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Crashbandicoot
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: Bandicoot ZMW3529

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Can I be a fishyaker? :rofl: ....(fish dragging the yak)

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:53 am

Yep I'm a fisherman who uses a kayak to go fishing, same as I used to use a boat, and before that I used to use my legs to get me to the fishing spots... but I can say so far it's been the best way to get to the fishing spots and by far the most productive :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

rayh
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Definitely in the fisher catagory.
As said by many before-it gets me to the spots where i cant reach from the shore.
The feeling of catching a fish from the yak is an awesome feeling and thats what got me hooked.
Love to have the yak change direction as the fish on the end of your rod starts pulling :rock: :rock:

Cabby101
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Fishing for sure. I dont think I had ever been on a yak before I went fishing in 1. I love that a yak gets me on the water from in places without boat ramps & that when your out there your so close to the water/action. I find the paddling a bit of a pain sometimes. Mainly cause it soaks into the fishing time.

Pawprints

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I've only just bought my fishing yak but I've owned two other kaykas in the past,,,both to get me fishing,Rocks an Trout..
One day I had a very close encounter with a Canada goose "hen?" on a small central north island lake,,,she won.
Another time I paddled my sit in through the fog just off shore around another Central NI lake early one morning with my trusty old .303 across my lap.
When I finaly came around a point an spotted a Red hind standing just off the beach,I second thought my cunning plan because I'd gone too far an couldn't work out how to get her out of there.
I almost got lost on the Manukau one day when the swell got up an I couldn't see more than about 10-20 meters.
I had a seal pop up an sort of bark at me once,,,trouble is it was behind me an I hadn't seen it when it went "HONK" ,,,,,I just about shat.
So yeah I like Fishing a lot,,but I also like the great outdoors and the sights you see,the peace an quiet.
Not so keen on Canada geese though. :$

• Information