Kayaker or Fisher?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Are you a kayaker who fishes, or a fisher who kayaks?

Im a kayaker
8%
Im a Fisher
92%

Total votes: 84
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Ok well I guess I already know the answer to this poll, but am still interested in the numbers.

The question is, do you consider yourself as a fisherman who kayaks? or a kayaker who fishes?

I guess for lack of better wording, the differance is do you / did you start fishing from your yak because you want a cheaper / easy (as opposed to a boat) method of catching fish, or is fishing a bit of an excuse to get out kayaking?

They arent mutually exclusive, and I realy enjoy both kayaking and fishing, but I guess if I was being honest, for me with a background in kayaking, I got into kayak fishing as a way of getting out kayaking with mates, and as a bit of an excuse (to myself) to get out on the water, hence I consider myself a kayaker who enjoys fishing.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Not too sure which to vote for as I swing both ways :$
I use the exercise of using a kayak as an excuse to go fishing and the excuse of fishing to go out on the kayak. I seldom do one without the other. Only time I fish without the kayak is when the weather is too stink to go out or people post excessive topics about sharks on here :P
Any chance of a bi-curious option :lol:
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm def in the 'Fisher' category. I'm just as happy to be out on a boat as I am on a kayak fishing - more so if there is a strong wind blowing ;)

That being said, there are times where being out on the yak is just magic! Not very often during summer tho, with all the crazy boaties around :@
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:35 pm

I've been fishing since I was 6, and yakking since 16.

Number one for me has to be leaving the luggage of daily life behind and just being on the sea. I'm very hippy when it comes to the sea - Can happily spend hours just watching the tide come and go, and the temper starts to flare if I don't get near it for more than a fortnight.
Yakfishing was a natural extension and improvement from standing on a beach not catching anything.

If the fishing is very slow, I'm happy to wind in and just follow the coast or play around some rock gardens.

Definitely kayaker first, yakfisher second.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Very interesting question......originally I'm a "fisher first", but over the past months I've started to really enjoy the 'yakking part just as much..so...if I was 80% fisher when I started out and 20% yakker, I'm probably much closer t0 50/50 now !!!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm passionate about my kayaking, have been since the 70's, but for me kayaking has nearly always been about accessing parts of our remote country and coastline for hunting and fishing. I've even given up a 20 year carrer in diagnostics so I can work in the industry in theory I can do more of it - yea, I design kayaks now and still don't get to be the first to paddle them :lol: . Personally I find kayaking and fishing inseparable, and is the reason I get a kick out of the offshore and rough water trips I do.

A classic memory for me is bouncing off a rock in my glass slalom yak (a bit like the old Dance), and wondering if the "CRACK" sound came from the hull, I've knee braced my fly rod into oblivion, or if the scope is still attached to my rifle rattling around behind the seat :headbang: :lol:

I'm a fisherman first, but the kayaker is so close behind it doesn't matter.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Hainesy wrote:Very interesting question......originally I'm a "fisher first", but over the past months I've started to really enjoy the 'yakking part just as much..so...if I was 80% fisher when I started out and 20% yakker, I'm probably much closer t0 50/50 now !!!
Much the same but probably 70% fisher / 30% kayaker.
Interesting, I used to jump at any offers to fish from a boat but doesn't really interest me anymore.
The General Kayak scenes thread and some of the things you see out there is probably whats slowly swaying me towards being a kayaker but still see myself as a kayak - fisher deep down.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

I am 100% fisherman first and kayaker after... I only use the kayak to access the fish that I cant catch on the rocks. Thats why I have no interest in going out if its choppy. But i do like the serenity of being on the water on a calm day.

chip'n
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMS9238

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:12 pm

After moving to Papamoa after living in the Uk for 16 years, kayak fishing to me is an affordable way to catch a feed for the family & also the serenity of floating around out their for a couple of hours is magic. I am in the I get bored real quick on a boat fishing group esp after kayak fishing, it's pretty boring fishing off a boat compared to seat of your pants stuff in the yak. Dale

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm a fisherman first, however I have had to like paddling as Wondaboy won't tow me on our long trips :lol:

I do like paddling around exploring rivers and remote places and just being on the sea.
On $hitty days I don't mind leaving the yak behind and exploring the coast line with the surf caster.

I also like romantic dinners on the beach and sunsets :tmi: :lol:
Last edited by Nakiman on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Fishing first but as an ex surfer I love being out on the ocean and kayaking is a great way to interact with the varying moods of sea and lakes.
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

madyakka
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profishreload/profish400
VHF Call Sign: zmw3022 madyakka

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:16 pm

i am a fishermen first. Been doing it all my life. There is nothing like being on the ocean and catching fish so kayaking is just a way to get and do it. I dont go out just for fun

demigod
Kayak Model: Espri

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Fisher first, who finally had the brainwave a few years back that I can paddle a lot further than I can cast from the beach... 8)

Don't really kayak without a rod... Bit like walking around a farm during duck hunting season and not carrying a gun.. Just feels wrong :D

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to Yak fish and you won't hear from him most weekends :-P

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 pm

Fisher first.... Always have been, all forms are great just really enjoying this form at present ... A :^)

CoastalStan
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:20 pm

I've been Fishing all my life and love it, from gamefishing in the Islands to snapper fishing in the harbour. Dont really consider myself a fisherman but more of an angler. Happy to catch twenty fish and release them all, just trying different things and trying to outsmart the fish is the challenge. Lost count of the times I have said that fish are dumb followed 5 mins later by Sh#t fish are smart. I really only kayak because I like the solitude, especially enjoy early morning fishing (predawn) until the idiots start charging around making noise.

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Although I started fishing as a kid, there has been a 15 year stretch of no fishing, and lots of kayaking.

I tried yak fishing as an excuse to get two hours on the water drifting and having 'time out' and enjoyed it.

But after 10 years of white water, canoe polo, multisport and sea kayking - definately a kayaker first.

(Saturday - had a great explore up the Okura estuary - not a rod in sight)

robbo
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayaks
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

I had to tick fisher. I never fished in the UK as just the thought of it was far too boring, however when I got here I wanted to be out on the water and didn't want a boat.

So I got a fishing kayak as I thought I could use it for just kayaking, however now I would never go out kayaking without a rod, BUT if I am in an environment like Sullivans then I am not unhappy if I get skunked. I also love going and fishing in beautiful and new places.

kayak chris

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 am

Well im not too supprised by the numbers, and strangely I knew who the 3 people who ticked Kayaker would be (still waiting on one more to tick it :P ), but glad to hear that most people still realy enjoy the kayaking aspect as well as the fishing :y:

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 am

kayak chris wrote:Well im not too supprised by the numbers, and strangely I knew who the 3 people who ticked Kayaker would be (still waiting on one more to tick it :P ), but glad to hear that most people still realy enjoy the kayaking aspect as well as the fishing :y:
I didn't expect the numbers to be quite so stark lol. But I guess there is a large gray area in between. We all kayak and we all fish :)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

kayak chris

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 am

sk8e8 wrote:I didn't expect the numbers to be quite so stark lol. But I guess there is a large gray area in between. We all kayak and we all fish
I did ;)
Your right there is a large grey area, I didnt want to put an in the middle option as in the end we would have all ticked that cause as you say we all kayak and we all fish.
I can think of 5 people on this site who I would have thought would have clased themselves as kayakers over fishers, and figured the rest would have pretty much all ticked the fisher option :)

Kayaks-

• Information