Poll of The Week: MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY....

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

What emergency gear do you carry EVERY trip?

VHF
15%
Smoke Flare
4%
Parachute Flare
2%
Pinpoint Flare
2%
Dye Bag
1%
Whistle
12%
Heliograph (mirror)
3%
Cell Phone (Must be waterproofed or doesn't count)
16%
First Aid Kit
6%
Length of duct tape
3%
Dedicated rescue knife on person
13%
Bailer (Incl. Improvised)
5%
PLB
2%
Tow Line (Minimum length 5m)
7%
Compass
6%
Other (Please post what)
2%

Total votes: 348
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Okay, this week the proverbial has hit the air shifter and you're in trouble.
What have you got with you to deal with an emergency at sea? - Might not be you, could be your mate...
(You can tick more than one)
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Cammie
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayaks
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:19 am

As an addition, I carry a Camelback of fresh water which also has food bars in the pocket
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:23 am

I always have my WW towline. Not 5m. I usually have a towline, but keep leaving them on charter boats

Nakiman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 am

Additionally

side cutters - removing hooks
$2 rain coat - keep cold wind off
fold up thermo blanket - fold up real small (to keep warm if drifting at sea)
drift shute - I class as a safety item if caught in big seas or strong winds and you need a break from paddling
tether - if caught in wind to stay in contact with your yak.
torch - one in hull and waterprof in PFD with tether

Edit - yes plenty of water and food and if really stuck I could also drink the water from my ice bottles in my chillie bin - hopefully there would be some fish in there as well :lol:

Apart from communications I believe that being able to keep warm is the most important thing - you will probably die from hypothermia long before you will starve or die from dehydration
Last edited by Nakiman on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 am

On all trips I carry most of the gear listed, and on some trips I carry all of the gear listed (hence I haven't checked all the boxes - only those I actually carry on "EVERY" trip). Like Cammie I also consider carrying adequate calories and hydration as an essential part of my safety regime, and I'm NEVER on the water without an appropriate spray jacket accessable from the cockpit for hypothermia protection, even during high summer. Yes, I've been involved in a summer SOT rescue where I've had to support and then tow a hypothermic paddler to shore despite the hot day. And no, this paddler wasn't part of my crew, I'd never have let them on the water they were so unbelievably ill-prepared :@

Another interesting poll that could go with this one is:
1. Can you access all your safety equipment from your seat in the cockpit without risk of water entering the kayak (i.e. no open hatches)?
2. Have you practiced with everything so that you are proficient in its use without haveing to read instructions?
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:06 am

When answering this post the first time around, I completely overlooked my paddle float and hand pump (Sponge being my original bailer)

I'm also always "dressed for immersion" (even though I'm not planning on swimming)

I guess like flag and PFD - some of my safety gear is so fundemental that it is 'overlooked' as safety gear

(good suggestions from the other posters......)

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:47 am

Well I didnt read the instructions and forgot to list my "others"...

PFD, kayak tether, re-entry stirrup (admittedly untried at this stage), spray jacket (always), electrolyte drinks, choc/protein bars....

Cheers
Hainesy 8)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:29 pm

+ GPS (rather than compass), Muesli bars, Multi tool (pliers etc), lighter, gortex jacket and woolen beanie.
Unfortunately Mrs waikato upgraded my cell phone to something far too expensive to trust myself with on the water. I'vebeen meaning to buy a cheapie but in the meanitime have taken a step backwards in communication.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Great poll hld. :y:

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rusty
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Help needed.

Were is the best place to go to get kitted out with all the required saftey gear.
After going through the list in the latest poll i have not got alot of these things.(i do not even know what some of these things are used for.)

who is the best person to talk to as i just want to buy the best i can get (not worth taking shortcuts when it comes to saftey and life)
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Rusty wrote:Help needed.

Were is the best place to go to get kitted out with all the required saftey gear.
After going through the list in the latest poll i have not got alot of these things.(i do not even know what some of these things are used for.)

who is the best person to talk to as i just want to buy the best i can get (not worth taking shortcuts when it comes to saftey and life)
Most of these things can be picked up from out door stores, kayak shops or hunting and fishing stores.

You will be able to pick some things up from the $2 shop - whistles etc
You can improvise with some things - mirror can just be something reflective (tin foil or reflective tape) A mirror might not be the best thing to have in your PFD. You might end up with 7 years bad fishing if you break it :lol:
A baler (more important on sit ins or yaks that open to the hull) can be any container - flask cup etc.
I just use a cheap cell phone in an expensive dry bag (also a VHF)
Flares are a good back up, however you are relying on someone seeing them and you are never sure they have be seen until you are rescued. They are a good positioning device, however if you have a GPS on you you can give the co-ordinates. Some GPS have a compass mode on them as well
your rescue Knife should be attached to your PDF in a sheath and tied in. Dedicated for safety if fall out and get tangled in lines - not your bait knife
PLB - Personal Locater Device. has all your personal data available to the rescuers once switched on and transmits your GPS co-ordinates.
Throw lines are important for rescuing your mates - basically a line in a bag that you secure to your yak/self and throw to someone in trouble - The line unravels as it goes through the air EDIT; WOOPS read properly it says tow line not throw line :$
Whatever you buy, where possible buy plastic, stainless steel or ensure they are in a very good water proof bag

Hope this helps and that I'm not too far off the mark

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for the advice Nakiman

I well start collecting some more things.
Keep up the good fishing it is fantastic reading your trip reports.

Looking forward to the trip up north so i can check out a few yaks and talk to people with advice for a
beginner like me Thanks :y:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Stonecross
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3804

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 am

Hmmm I think I classify as an EPIC FAIL on this one..

Food for thought and I'll certainly start investing, one question, where does one stow all this stuff on a P13, a bag between the legs bungeed down?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3 Ultra - ZMW3804

Cammie
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayaks
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 am

Much of it will go in the pockets of your PFD or attached to that - best to carry it "on you" if you can. A small dry sack bungeed on top of the front hatch on my P 4.5 carries anything else.

My mirror is a mini / half size CD - they were all over the place a few years back - and you can use the hole in the centre to look through to make sure that you are "flashing" :lol: (no comments please!) at your target - hold your thumb at arms length just below the object you are trying to attract attention with and make sure that the reflected light touches the tip of your thumb - old boy scout trick :clap: The CD is less likely to break and if it does then it is only plastic, not glass.
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

Limitless

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am

Stonecross wrote:Hmmm I think I classify as an EPIC FAIL on this one..

Food for thought and I'll certainly start investing, one question, where does one stow all this stuff on a P13, a bag between the legs bungeed down?
Much of it, e.g. handheld VHF, cellphone, PLB, dye pack, safety knife, whistle, etc. I wear on my person in case I'm ever parted from my kayak. Flares, throw line, etc., I used to have in a large removable pocket behind the seat when paddling Prowlers; while on the serious offshore paddles I put the rest in a SeaLine deck bag on the bow. Not so easily accessed, but at least I didn't have to open a hatch if I needed it.

I'm often asked why I changed to Viking and accessible storage has always been one of the features I found incredibly attractive on the Profish 440. This is part of what made changing to them (and then joining the company) easy; the much larger centre well and all the storage up front that can be utilised without adding to windage by using deck bags.

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Along with most of the other stuff above I also carry:

plastic poncho - keep cold wind off
thermo blanket - fold up real small (to keep warm if drifting at sea)
multitool - Leatherman attached to PFD
fire starter
diver safey sausage
energy gel packs
heat pad
cool pad

And all of that either fits in my PFD or is in a 5 Litre dry bag that sits nicely in the live bait well of the Ultra or before that sat in the top of the Tragit bag, and before that the top of the insulated cover, or you can even keep it at the end of the footwell. The good thing with the bag is a) it's waterproof by design, b) the seal makes a great grab/carry handle c) it floats, and d) it's bright yellow. I keep it on the kayak rather than in the kayak so I can quickly grab it and not have to mess around with hatches etc if I'm in a hurry.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:12 pm

while Rusty's above question is being answered... how about a picture of your loaded kayak. Limitless/HLD or any of the other more seasoned fisho paddlers - how about a clear picture showing how you store these items. I mention Limitless for selfish reasons as we paddle the same monster. I dont take half this gear and struggle to understand how the hell you carry it all????? Add a pic of your loaded PFD aswell if possible cos I know some guys really load them up to the brink.

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Just heading out the door till the weekend, will post pics then :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Limitless

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 pm

I'll get my kit together tomorrow (don't have it at all at work with me), take some pics, and post them then.

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:34 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:

while Rusty's above question is being answered... how about a picture of your loaded kayak. Limitless/HLD or any of the other more seasoned fisho paddlers - how about a clear picture showing how you store these items. I mention Limitless for selfish reasons as we paddle the same monster. I dont take half this gear and struggle to understand how the hell you carry it all????? Add a pic of your loaded PFD aswell if possible cos I know some guys really load them up to the brink.

Kiwiladbrad....Given that I'm in the same "boat" as you......I fill the centre console up with all manner of fishing gear, plus when I'm coming back in the surf, I remove my FF and my reels and also stow them in there as well, so I tend not to have alot of excess room......I'm starting to think that items such as a poncho, thermal blanket, gel bars, small first aid kit, mirror, and even a throw bag could be stored in the bait hatches that I never use 'cos I use SB's.......
I know that there is a strong case for having these items on your person, but I carry my VHF, cell phone, whistle, box of flares, leatherman, and 2 x knives on my person, plus I'm tethered to the yak as well.
I've thought about putting them up the front under the cover, but if they're in a dry bag in one or bother of these hatches then they have to be easier to reach. Just a thought !!

Cheers
Hainesy 8)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

• Information