Self Rescues - Are You Up To It?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

When was the last time you practiced a self rescue?

In the Last Month
17%
In the Last Two Months
14%
In the Last 6 Months
9%
In the Last Year
9%
More Than a Year Ago
9%
Err... I Should really learn how to do it
41%

Total votes: 95
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:29 pm

As per Limitless on the good quality PFD with a full rated rescue harness and cowtail carabiner to secure to deck lines or rigging anchor point (same area as Tow point ,for balance and accessibility).This combined with a Bomb proof eskimo roll has got me out of some twitchy situations.But then there is always the risk of entanglement ,shoulder or other injury etc. so prudent to have clip on quick river guides knife or such to cut loose if req.Airbags should be mandatory in your hull also be it a coast to coast racer or a fishing sit on, as reserve bouyancy if hatches or flooding of hull. Definately not into harness in surf and if surf conditions liable to get up a stack hat is essential also. just common sense really but it's a rare commodity sometimes

keentogofish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish predator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2221

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi

After reading the weekly poll on self rescue and anwsered the poll question with a no have never done. I went out in port Taranaki today and flipped the kayak over a couple of times. I did have wet suit and life jacket on, as do fish with this gear on. Glad to say was able to get back on. Glad to have done this, having knowledge how do this was well worth it. Sea condition 1/2 to 1 meter swell strong northwest wind.

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Hmmm - got flipped out on Saturday, getting towed around by an absolute monster of a snapper; just as I finally saw it underneath me, having backed away from waves breaking on a rocky point, a big wave came along and broke at a 45 degree angle over the stern of my kayak which I had managed to place directly over a sunken reef I'd noted before but forgotten in the excitement.

The fish swam off side-on to the yak, I held on too hard....and ...over...

I'd held on to the rod and jammed my thumb on the reel too hard, so the 4kg braid broke at the reel.

All I had left to do was get back on and go and collect the fish from the rear well (I don't have a catch bag).

Just like righting and getting back on a surfboard, so I was in my seat and paddling again without even thinking about it, frankly; just had to do it quickly to avoid being swept on to the shore. It was a pretty clammy experience fishing for the next 2 hours.

Still thinking about losing the fish of a lifetime.

But I know where he lives :devil:

big blue
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: bfs

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm

As a new yakker id thought about what id do but you no, it wont happen to me 8) :o so as i was paddling in to waipu just on dark on sat nite and a wave caught me and chucked me off i was a little surprised, and a bit like wtf wot do i do now, the lucky thing was id talked a certain kayak shop owner and he'd explained wot to do..... :!: to have three rods tethered to the yak my paddle and my fish stringer in the water it was a learning curve, i got on easy enuff, but nothing gets you ready for the gear in the water.............so as i landed on the beach, no rods broken, no damage to me, or my yak i can honestly say i will be doing a lot of practice, and have a healthy respect for beach launching now!!!!!!! and thats all ive got to say about that!!

now a proud STEALTH bfs owner........

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 am

I've got to say I've been very lax in this regard which I think if we were all being honest - is a category about 99% of people that climb onto a sot are in. People here (regular posters) are at the 'expert' end and seem better prepared.

When Vicki evacuated her new kayak, the drama was not getting back onto it but rather getting onto it in a position where she could get back to a seated position ready for the off.... All this in a steadily rising sea so time is against you...

Factors include, fishing gear, type of life jacket/pfd, kayak, build/fitness of the person doing it.

We did OK on the day BUT it can go pear shaped and my resolution is to organise something this year for locals to practise re entry. (it will be in a pool at the moment - its fugging freezing at the moment...

Fletcher
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:When I upgraded to the Profish I was told that my level of awesomeness would increase, I would certainly become a greater fisherman and would never ever fall out... I mean "Err... I Should really learn how to do it". :n:
Totally agree with you Brad. :y:

Still should really test out the Profish and see how easy it is to get back in. We chucked my mates Cobra in the pool a few months ago and had a play around flipping it and getting back in, might do the same with the profish in Summer when it is a bit warmer.
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 am

fletcher58 wrote:
kiwiladbrad wrote:When I upgraded to the Profish I was told that my level of awesomeness would increase, I would certainly become a greater fisherman and would never ever fall out... I mean "Err... I Should really learn how to do it". :n:
Totally agree with you Brad. :y:

Still should really test out the Profish and see how easy it is to get back in. We chucked my mates Cobra in the pool a few months ago and had a play around flipping it and getting back in, might do the same with the profish in Summer when it is a bit warmer.
Personaly i find the cold makes for a huge incentive to get back in ;)

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 pm

But it can be the cold that gets you so bad you cant get back in... :( :(
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Flounder
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9779

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 pm

At the club meet at Papa Aroha April just gone I dumped myself out overbalancing while trying to stow the sea anchor in the pocket behind the seat. When there is a tangle of rods and leases around your legs things take on a different perspective. I managed to get back on only to go over a second time bugger. Getting back on the second time absolutely buggered me however no gear lost. First lesson learnt leave the sea anchor on your lap or stick your legs over the side for more balance. Would be interested in this sling I saw someone mentioned.

More than lived up to my name

Flounder :$ :$
Prowler Elite(sold)
Profish 400
Reload
ZMW9779

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:22 am

I made up a sling for Mrs. Dwarf, will post a pic. Made out of 25mm climbing tape (avail from Bivouac or any sports store that handles climbing gear). Helps to put a short length of garden hose in the foot stirrup to keep it open.

Have also heard of people keeping a pair of fins on board to assist with the "launch" back into the cockpit.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 am

Ya forgot ta add a "I'm a Spearo, so practice "Self Rescues" more than once every time I take the Yak out" :lol:
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

yakman

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I practice regularly as I fish on my own most of the time and see it as necessary skill in order to be safe. To get a sense of how things can go bad very quickly it is a good eye opener to go out somewhere sheltered in winter in full kit and go through the self rescue process over and over and see how quickly fatigue sets in, it is surprising how quickly you can run out of puff :sweat:

Most people can get back into their kayak in good conditions no problem but add cold water, wind, swell, gear failure, fatigue, panic etc and it can be near impossible. Just finished reading 'Solo' by Vicki McAuley which is an extreme example of such things.
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:37 pm

yakman wrote:Just finished reading 'Solo' by Vicki McAuley which is an extreme example of such things.
If uyou havent already, then watch the docco also, some amazing footage, truely heartbreaking stuff.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yakman

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:15 pm

kayak chris wrote:
yakman wrote:Just finished reading 'Solo' by Vicki McAuley which is an extreme example of such things.
If uyou havent already, then watch the docco also, some amazing footage, truely heartbreaking stuff.
Yep got the doco as well :D I am fascinated by his story. He so deserved to make it!
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

slashedwalnut
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:39 am

i have done training on how rescue myself before i bought my yak.. but i know in my current winter condition :lol: if im out that is it.. i wont get back in or on. and that is a bit of a worry.. :worried:

Lister
Kayak Make: Tahe & Viking
Kayak Model: Wind 585 & 440 pf
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 4211

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Either I'm incredibly sensible or incredibly cowardly.

As much as I want to, I haven't launched the PF440 yet as I haven't the faintest idea what to do in an emergency. Have however booked the course, "Paddle Zone" Chch. Should be happening this month.

Also I haven't as yet got a VHF radio, there's a few other bits I still want/need. Amongst which is a trailer to make life easier. But I really don't won't to end up scared to go out again, or worse, dead. So I'm not expecting a maiden voyage for a little while yet

I like technology. I especially like to hit it with a big stick!!!!

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

ZMW4211. Proud paddler of PF440

moggyman
Kayak Make: prowler
Kayak Model: 2010
VHF Call Sign: nil

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

more than a year done it once, but feel conferdent ; but should pratice more ha that must about cover all opts

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 am

2 yrs since I started yakking and still haven't done one lol
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Beaker

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:53 pm

G1 and I had a bit of practice in the estuary at Cooks Beach. I found out it will be a lot harder with the yak fully rigged but its something I need more practice at.

• Information