Spare Paddle..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Do you carry a spare paddle with you?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Yes - on the deck of my kayak
7%
Yes - in the hull of my kayak
11%
No - not enough room in my kayak
No votes
No - not enough room on the deck of my kayak
4%
No - I don't own a spare paddle
32%
No - I simply don't see the need
11%
No - I don't want to carry one even though I know I probably should
18%
Sometimes - I carry a spare paddle but not al the time
18%

Total votes: 56
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 pm

We all know it's good to carry a backup in case of failure but how far do you take it, we all have spare terminal tackle with us in case of bust offs, some of us carry spare combos in case one snaps, we drop it in the drink, etc. but where do you stop?

How much spare gear is too much, kayaks are small and there simply isn't room to carry two or more of everything so what do and don't you take because it's too hard, too bulky, would get in the way etc.

Recently we had another thread on a system which would enable you to carry a spare paddle on the deck of your kayak and it raised the question: Do you, and if not why not, carry a spare paddle with you?

Have a look at the poll answers, if haven't really thought about the merits of carrying one, have a think about these simple questions:

1. Have you ever actively thought about carrying a spare paddle on board your kayak? Yes/No

2. Do you think it's it's a good idea to carry a spare paddle? Yes/No

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? Yes/No

Choose the answer to the poll that you best fit into and feel free to post your answers to 1,2,3 above too :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:54 pm

I'll kick it off :y:

I don't carry one, I know I probably should, I'd struggle to find somewhere to put it in or on my kayak (although in would be easier with the Stealth), it's rare I paddle on my own, my paddle is leashed to my kayak so in theory I shouldn't lose it and I've never broke one yet... (who's now going to break his paddle this weekend!).

As for the questions:

1. Have you ever actively thought about carrying a spare paddle on board your kayak? Yes

2. Do you think it's it's a good idea to carry a spare paddle? Yes

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? Yes if it was easy, went inside my kayak and didn't get in the way of everything else but could still be extracted in a paddle emergency.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:55 pm

There is no "sometimes depends" button to click Jase |(

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:59 pm

awondering wrote:There is no "sometimes depends" button to click Jase |(
There is now...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:06 pm

1. Have you ever actively thought about carrying a spare paddle on board your kayak? Yes

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? I carry a spare when planning a longer distance trip or the conditions are adverse. in normal scenarios NO!
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Mental wrote:
awondering wrote:There is no "sometimes depends" button to click Jase |(
There is now...

Who is "al" :lol:

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:16 pm

I now carry a spare on every kayak fishing mission, long or short.

In the past I carried a spare on big missions but never worried too much about it when on shorter jaunts. About 4 years ago I had a kayaker break his paddle when off Deadmans Pt (Coromandel). It turned out the shaft had been crushed when the ice chest moved in the back of the van, but this wasn't evident until after the fact (plastic transfer amongst the fibres in the split). I had to tow him back to shore against both wind and tide, a real mission in the conditions.

As a result I vowed to carry a spare whenever I'm on the water - I don't ever want to have to do that again.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Yaktofish
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9666

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:26 pm

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? Yes if it was easier to access - however I always try to fish with others.
Viking Reload
Ocean Ultra 4.3

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:32 pm

1. Have you ever actively thought about carrying a spare paddle on board your kayak? Yes often thought about it but always suffered from a lack of room on the yak

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? Now that I have the Reload I've started carrying one on longer / more remote trips inside the hull
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

beerbaron
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Urban camo

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 pm

1. Have you ever actively thought about carrying a spare paddle on board your kayak?
Yes, but where would I put all that beer?

2. Do you think it's it's a good idea to carry a spare paddle?
Yes, always thought I could Sellotape bottles together?
:lol: note that doesn't work!

3. Would you carry a spare paddle?
Yes!!
SERIOUSLY it's not about room/ weight but knowledge that if your
"motor cracked a sad"
you have a auxiliary :!:

:coffee: :beer: :drunk:
Old Town saloon whiskey swiring electric vibration fish slaying apparatus!

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:31 pm

2. Do you think it's it's a good idea to carry a spare paddle? Yes when venturing out on strong off shore winds and if you're going off shore

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? Yes

It's pretty easy for me to carry my spare in the pinnacle but I only tend to carry it on offshore missions as I figure that if I snap my main one in close I can use the good side like a waka paddle to get me home.
Limitless wrote: About 4 years ago I had a kayaker break his paddle when off Deadmans Pt (Coromandel). It turned out the shaft had been crushed when the ice chest moved in the back of the van, but this wasn't evident until after the fact (plastic transfer amongst the fibres in the split). I had to tow him back to shore against both wind and tide, a real mission in the conditions.

As a result I vowed to carry a spare whenever I'm on the water - I don't ever want to have to do that again.

What was wrong with his arms? :lol:

rainbow
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: P13
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rainbow

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:47 pm

To add an interesting question that would bring some factual reality to this poll.

"How has ever broken a paddle while on the water?"

I purposely excluded "lost" because this is easily prevented with a Paddle leash.

Rainbow

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Now THIS is when we need Paddle Snap ! :lol:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Yaktofish
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9666

Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Hainesy wrote:Now THIS is when we need Paddle Snap ! :lol:
:rofl:
Viking Reload
Ocean Ultra 4.3

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Rainbow poses an interesting question - "Who has ever broken a paddle while on the water?" Personally, other than during my white water days I've not broken a paddle on the water (I can hear that man Murphy chuckling now that I've typed that :headbang: :rofl: ).

But...

On the water I've met two kayakers with broken paddles (towed one home because his paddle shaft had been crushed by a chillibin and the splits ran more than a third of the shaft length - when it let go in the wind and chop it virtually disintegrated).

And...

As a kayak retailer for the last 14 years I've spoken with too many paddlers wanting to buy replacements for paddles broken while on the water - too many to dismiss the risk out of hand.

To my mind it's a bit like wearing a car seatbelt: I don't wear mine because I expect to have an accident, but so that if I'm involved in an accident I can minimise the consequences. Likewise, I don't carry a spare paddle because I expect to break my main, but so that if for some reason I do break it I can safely make it home with a minimum of fuss.

Like much of our sport deciding whether or not to carry a spare paddle is about risk assessment. For me the minor inconvenience of some low profile clutter on the foredeck is outweighed by the comfort of having an "auxiliary" ready at hand if needed.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Re: Spare Paddle..?

2. Do you think it's it's a good idea to carry a spare paddle? Yes.

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? I should but I don't. I had a blade come loose off Coro on one occasion and luckily I was able to repair it with a long screw I had in my tackle box. The rivet had corroded away.

rainbow
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: P13
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rainbow

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:03 pm

My first kayak was made of dowels and painted canvas to go down the Whanganui in 1970 with a wooden paddle made of ply and a white pine shaft Since then I have owned a Canadian canoe (also with wooden paddles), fibre glass sit ins, white water plastic kayaks and several roto moulded fishing kayaks. As I said the paddles ranged from wooden ones to the latest high tech carbon fibre creation. As I have broken none either in or out of the water I consider the risk too minimal to bother. However, if it gives peace of mind to carry one it is a personal choice.

Rainbow

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Id love to have a two piece paddle on board, ive seen two broken in the surf.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 pm

With a second paddle you could also have the option of a larger or smaller blade in case of injury, fatigue, sea conditions etc... :^)

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:34 am

I guess us "boaties" are excluded from this conversation.

I got a 2-piece paddle when someone gave one away on here when I had my Predator 13 and had planned to keep it inside the kayak. However, I never got around to putting some clips on the inside to keep it still and to be honest, it's pretty irritating having something move around inside the hull all the time.

Now that I have a motorized kayak, I do carry 1 paddle with me and I think between the motor and paddle that's enough.

With all my anxiety issues if I were to go back to a paddle-only kayak I think I would sort out that storage space for a second paddle.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information