Poll of the Week - How many sofbaits?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

How many softbaits?

1-5
61%
6-10
25%
10-15
11%
16-20
No votes
20+
3%

Total votes: 71
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:29 am

Man... This is a very interesting topic. I choose 5-20+ :P

Over foul I go through far more than over sand. If the bait splits where the hook goes through, all good (to a point)! More action and I've never noticed less hookups - maybe even got more! If it splits a little at the jighead end, or slips I just bite 5 mm off and re-rig it on. Sometimes I get 4-6 fish on one bait, othertimes I go through 10 baits for a skunking :'(

Type of softbaits used: Berkley Gulp and Power Bait. Range of colours but found the black cat to be a great colour on Sat just gone. First time I've used it during the day over sand and it outfished the nuk 8:1
No. of Softbaits used: 5-20
Jig head weight: normally 3/8ths - I use this size from 4m to 15m - Will use larger when required or fast drift
Jig head brand: Mostly Nitro, but trying others
Hook size: Used to use 5/0 but have changed to 3/0 for increased action
Rod flex: main is 5-8kg Shimano BBE - stiff action, just started using an 8-10kg K-Labs - softer action
How quick you think you strike the fish: Completely depends where I'm fishing and the terrain. Biting softly atm
Leader strength: 20lb
Estimated ave number of strikes in summer: First yakking summer coming up :D
Estimated ave number of legal fish landed in summer: First yakking summer coming up :D
Action: Depends on terrain and fish. Dragging mostly atm as fish aren't hitting hard.
Do you work your softbait against the tide, with the tide or straight under boat: All

Other thoughts?: I love not getting blood and guts and bait all over me :). My FAV soft bait fishing is in the shallows with foul - lose more gear but the fish can fight harder too! Fishing over the sand a bit atm
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

ThomasW

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:56 am

Use to be very keen on the use of softbaits but changed tactics and gone back to bait which the snapper seem to prefer. Unless I am fishing during the day I rarely take any with me now.

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I have no patience and use 10-15.... I now have a Predator Pro Fish and have found a couple of things. The first (after this weekend) I am comfortable with three rods compared to my (maybe) two from my old yak thanks to the freedom of space on board and many holders. The second is I am going to add bait to my fishing sessions... get back to straylining pillies, once again from all the space and bait holders in the back.

Yip, Im going off topic so 10-15 softies easy in a session and I will now take bait because I am certain a bait may work when the softies dont. Just a thought...

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:I have no patience and use 10-15.... I now have a Predator Pro Fish and have found a couple of things. The first (after this weekend) I am comfortable with three rods compared to my (maybe) two from my old yak thanks to the freedom of space on board and many holders. The second is I am going to add bait to my fishing sessions... get back to straylining pillies, once again from all the space and bait holders in the back.

Yip, Im going off topic so 10-15 softies easy in a session and I will now take bait because I am certain a bait may work when the softies dont. Just a thought...
Interesting comment Brad..Just come back from a three day charter with some guys who are real keen fishos and accomplised strayliners..........I pretty much used Softies all the time......but when the fish werent biting, nothing worked.......when the fishing was OK, the strayliners tended to get the bigger fish, but my "volume" was higher.....when they were biting hard, the softies outfished the baits by a handsome margin.....

Cheers

Hainesy 8)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

• Information