Poll of the Week - How many sofbaits?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

How many softbaits?

1-5
61%
6-10
25%
10-15
11%
16-20
No votes
20+
3%

Total votes: 71
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:09 am

Time for another poll...

How many softbaits do you use on average on an average session, yes i know some of us go out longer than others etc but for you what is an average number of softbaits you will go through in a normal fishing session?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:20 am

I probably fall into the 6-10 baits on average, 1 or 2 packets I suppose.

I find that quite often the bait will get split/bit half way through by the bend of the hook, after this you'll be luck to catch one or two more fish on it.

I also find myself changing baits if I can't raise even a nibble on a bait, last night was a great example, I was out fishing with Mrs Mental, she was using Pink Shine and I had a Pearl White on and we were fishing side by side, I wasn't even getting a nibble so after she had landed three fish I swapped to a Pink Shine and bang I too had three fish...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

nz_samurai
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMT5850

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:24 am

For me it really varies. Sometimes I seem to catch fish after fish on the same bait but other times, like last Friday, I went through a heap of baits. They seemed to be splitting around the hook more than normal. On one retrieve after a few nibbles the bait had come off completely, never seen that before.................

Skonski
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:25 am

For me, i can do fine on the same bait if im on the snapper, but if theres ky about the filthy mongrels swallow the bait every time :swear: , not the hook tho

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:38 am

Im very new to softbaiting...Its good to see that people use a lot of baits, Ive been going on stories about getting 6 fish on 1 bait... Completely posssible....But not for me.. I thought I was doing something wrong :lol: so average I guess about 5 baits.. But I have used more on occasion :D

rayh
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 pm

I usually use maybe 5 but yes- there have been times where that has doubled.
Still -to buy snapper is a lot more expensive than what i pay for the sps.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Went through 9 SBs this morning in 3 hours.

Small snaps were just sucking them off the hook, I think :swear:

Ended up using my favourite trick of long strips of KY on the jig heads which was more productive than the softies, turning up a couple of carrots and half a dozen pannies in the bag
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Cabby101

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I use 10-15 if there are decent quantities of fish around. I may catch 5 or 6 or I might catch 20 to 25 depending on how they are biting. Other times where I am thankful to bag 1 or 2 then I would use 3 - 5.

I am very interested to know what people do differently. Someone expressed they think striking the fish quickly may help the life of softbaits? I personally use a light spin rod that is slightly stiffer than softbait rods on the basis that I can strike the fish quicker getting a bit more power into my strike quicker. My thinking as to why this could actually use more softbaits is when fish grabs the tail, I strike, tail gone. If I took a moment longer to strike then the fish may either let go of the tail and leave it alone or take another bite and get the hook also. Either way the tail will likely survive?

Another thing is how we work the softbaits. I usually have one rod in rod holder a couple feet off the bottom & cast the other in front of me. Both rods seem to use similar amounts of soft baits.

Jig head weight: Weight obviously affects action
Hook size: Hook size dictates how close to the tail of the softbait the hook is
Leader strength: Thicker leader may make the fish a little cautious not because the fish can see the line but due to the movements it creates in the water? Therefore, fish may bit closer to the tail?

Might be clutching at straws here, but some of us must be doing things different.

OK, here's a few quick questions we can answer

Type of softbaits used: Gulp 5inch Jerk Shad & Crazy Legs
No. of Softbaits used: 10-15
Jig head weight: 1/2oz - 1oz
Jig head brand: Nitro/Berkley
Hook size: 3/0 & 5/0 Similar results
Rod flex: 4-8kg but quite stiff
How quick you think you strike the fish quite quick
Leader strength 30lb
Estimated ave number of strikes in summer: 20-30
Estimated ave number of legal fish landed in summer: 5-8
Action: I usually make pretty short & sharp movements
Do you work your softbait against the tide, with the tide or straight under boat: Usually with the tide with spare rod in rod holder under boat.

Other thoughts?: Anything else you may think of... feel free to add questions too

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Type of softbaits used: Gulp 5inch Jerk Shad or Grubs
Jig head weight: 1/4 - 3/4oz
Hook size: 5/0
Rod flex: 4-8kg but quite noodly
How quick you think you strike the fish: Tease first, then whack 'em. Depends on the fish though, tentative bites are worked to try and gauge size of fish.
Leader strength 20lb typical, occasionally up to 30lb if in the rough.
Estimated ave number of strikes in summer: C'mon, be serious :lol:
Estimated ave number of legal fish landed in summer: I have no idea... 18 legals this morning (most released)
Action: Twitch along bottom with occasional big lifts and drops
Do you work your softbait against the tide, with the tide or straight under boat:
Worked softies go in any direction, as well as one rod usually tucked under leg just dragging.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

ambo364
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Predator Profish
VHF Call Sign: ambo

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Type of softbaits used: 4" minnows, 5" Jerk Shad & Crazy Legs
No. of Softbaits used: 5-8 (average 1 per 30 mins)
Jig head weight: 1/4oz - 5/8oz dependent on depth/current
Jig head brand: Nitro, jigstar
Hook size: 3/0 & 5/0
Rod flex: 4-8kg shimano backbone is the fav
How quick you think you strike the fish - 2-3 secs after feeling bite
Leader strength 15lb
Estimated ave number of strikes in summer: craploads
Estimated ave number of legal fish landed in summer: 4-5 kept on av but normally 10-12 legals
Action: One in rodholder, other cast ahead and worked conservatively along bottom, twitchy lifting-dropping movements. Retrieved and re cast every 2 mins on av so as not to drag
Do you work your softbait against the tide, with the tide or straight under boat: cast in direction of drift, most good hookups on the drop, leave it til its gone under the boat to about 45 degrees then re cast.

Other thoughts?: practice makes perfect :rock:
Better stay home guys, Maori calendar says Bad Fishing...YEAH RIGHT

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 pm

I also repair softbaits . I find quite often the the part where the softbait pushes onto the jighead can split so i always have a roll of fishing cotton in my life vest and wrap the softbait up with the cotton or if the tail is about to fall off again i wrap it up so it has a natural action and last another few fish so im not chucking them as soon as i see a little damage , im fixing them up and its very worth while doing !

G1

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Thats a great tip KK cheers

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:22 pm

If the body of the bait gets chewed/split, I cut it the damaged front off and rerig the tail, can usually do this a couple of times.

Likewise if the tail goes, I cut a new one and rig the SB a little further back - needs a little more action, but works well.

nz_samurai
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMT5850

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:54 pm

Yeah thanks KK, great tip - never thought of doing that! Hopefully that'll save me a few..............

ambo364
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Predator Profish
VHF Call Sign: ambo

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 pm

The small cable ties work well too and are cheap as chips.
Better stay home guys, Maori calendar says Bad Fishing...YEAH RIGHT

Cabby101

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Today I caught about 15 decent(plus a few marginal legal) snaps & would have used 7 or 8 5inch softbaits today so a bit better for me. Normally a few more. Was using braid scissors & elastic for repairs that worked well. Cheers for the tips guys.

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm

I tend to go through a dozen baits. But I change to see if diff colurs or shapes work better.

Type of softbaits used: Gulp Jerk Shad or Grubs. If the fish are really on the bite I will swap to slams. Will fish 3 or 5inch.
Jig head weight: 1/4 - 3/4oz
Hook size: 3/0 or 5/0
Rod flex: 4-8kg
How quick you think you strike the fish: sometimes they like to be teased other times I strike as soon as touched. Really, I work it out a new each time.
Leader strength 20lb most often. Will use 30lb if in really snaggy.
Estimated ave number of strikes in summer: usually heaps
Estimated ave number of legal fish landed in summer: I would average 10 legals per mission plus swags of babies. I usually only keep 3 or 4 fish per mission.
Action: I tend to fish them quite slow along bottom with occasional big lifts and drops. Again I modify it each time to find the best action for the day.
Do you work your softbait against the tide, with the tide or straight under boat:
I usually cast ahead of my drift in an arc 45 degree's to each side then I work them back towards me. If the day is slow I'll drift one along behind me too.

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Fri May 21, 2010 8:57 am

I tend to mix my lure fishing up with bait fishing ( :rofl: no - I don't mean confusion :rofl: I often alternate techniques to find out which is working best ;) ). This makes for some interesting fishing and the number of soft baits and plastics I go through varies tremendously.

Type of softbaits used: Mister Twister, Berkley Gulp and Power Bait, Eco Gear, Bass Assasin, Squidgies, Bozo - OK, I'm a tackle slut :$
No. of Softbaits used: 10-15
Jig head weight: most common size 3/4oz, but whatever it takes to present the lure correctly from 1/8oz to 5oz
Jig head brand: Mostly Wahoo lumo but lots of others. I like the ones from Chris Wong, also in a lumo head.
Hook size: 5/0 commonly but vary this according to tail size
Rod flex: 4-6kg medium fast taper
How quick you think you strike the fish: on plastics I strike fast, on Gulps I hesitate slightly (1sec) then strike hard.
Leader strength: 6kg, but I use a very short 17kg trace.
Estimated ave number of strikes in summer: TNTC (Too Numerous To Count)
Estimated ave number of legal fish landed in summer: TNTC (I'm not skiting but I've lost count :$ )
Action: Vary it hugely from slow looping drag and drop to a sharp rattling retrieve. Mix it up to find what the fish are interested in.
Do you work your softbait against the tide, with the tide or straight under boat: Usually I'm working to fish I've found on the sounder or side imaging, so whatever it takes to present the lure to the fish.

Other thoughts?: For me the joy of working lures is the variety and challenges it offers. My introduction to fishing was fly fishing for trout and fishing SP's and SB's to saltwater specie offers some of the old challenges (although they are MUCH easier to fool than trout).
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Weekend Warrior!
Kayak Make: Quality Kayaks
Kayak Model: Scupper Dive Pro

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:01 pm

I think I'm doing something wrong.... :^)

I started soft baiting and kayak fishing in Nov 2009. Since then I have gone out on average once a fortnight and use on average one bait every 2 or 3 sessions and every time bar 3 I've come home with between 5 and 15 fish. I've only ever used 6" nuclear chicken or their poor cousin the SLAM equivelent.

Makes me wonder what would happen if i tried moving away from the Nuclear chook....a bit like weining yor kids off their favourite blanky................

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:24 am

Something is working well for you weekendwarrior. If I caught 5-15 fish on a gulp it would be in tatters. Definitely lose less softies over sand compared to foul where bluecod and leatherjackets get stuck into them. Would use around 15 when fishing over foul. Maybe 5 over sand if the fish are biting.
Nuc chook works well but most of the gulp range are good colours and shapes.
I think the slams are probably quite a bit more durable but have never used them.

• Information