Plastic or Not?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Plastic or not for everyday?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Plastic
83%
Not Plastic
17%

Total votes: 30
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

This poll question is from our member Winch >

"What would you prefer for you everyday fishing kayak a plastic sit on top or a composite sit in kayak?"

We'll make this simpler though and the detail you can post as a comment on this thread.

For your daily go to kayak would you prefer the standard rotationally moulded plastic kayak or one made of a different material; fibreglass, carbon, thermoform plastic, etc etc...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Can I phone a friend ???

:lol:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 pro fish
VHF Call Sign: nil

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Having never used an alternative type, but having owned fibreglass canoes and boats, for me I think I would prefer plastic because they can take the knocks and tumbles better. Plastic is a bit heavier, slower, but tougher, easier to screw items on. I dont need too much, but I do feel safe, and quite relaxed. Thats my opinion, I also tend to keep boats for along time. :D :y:

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah never used a composite... but would love to give one a rip. So can't really vote :drunk:

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Considered this question quite a bit and although I've never owned a composite yak ( tho I could if I wanted.....) I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I prefer a yak that can take the knocks, bangs, scrapes, and general hard life that comes from being a fisherman that happens to paddle a yak !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: RELOAD

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

I prefer a plastic for everyday fishing :y:
had a glass yak (stealth 495 ) and loved it .was a fast yak but i love my wash fishing around the rocks so sold it as glass and rocks don't mix :lol:
Profish RELOAD
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:47 pm

I've owned, paddled and fished from both and they both have their uses, the glass Stealth is a pleasure to paddle but you do end up worrying about the launch, landing and paddling around the rocks and yes mothershipping with glass is probably out of the question.

My current ride is a glass Stealth Evo 465 so my everyday kayak is glass...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:42 am

X2

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 am

I mothershiped with my glass yak, and while I had to be a little more careful it was ok, I'm really happy with my glass yak as an everyday fishing machine but I think that it's more down to hull shape than material used, fibreglass does damage easier but is easier to repair as well. The thermo formed kayak like the barracuda would my pick of the best material but have heard that there can be problems with that as well...

cheaterparts
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:44 pm

here in Victoria Aust it's rare to to see anything but Plastic - there is a real shortage of Kayak shops around ' Hobie do well at there is a quite good network of dealers and are great to deal with
however finding a Glass fishing platform isn't as easy , in fact even longer plastic is hard to find
I was in the market for a 4.7 prowler and no one stocked them , only bought down on special order

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:08 pm

can someone remind me of the benefits of glass. i understand they can be paddled further/faster, but they are a comparable weight to plastic, so why? is it that glass allows for better hull design?

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:can someone remind me of the benefits of glass. i understand they can be paddled further/faster, but they are a comparable weight to plastic, so why? is it that glass allows for better hull design?
Benefits are all in the eye of the beholder, what you hold dear is perhaps not something that I do. I do find some comments on this thread amusing considering the grief I got for my stealth though. glad they found the light :P

Lighter. keep in mind that there is more to a glass Yak, so if you were to make a multi pieced multi layered kayak in plastic the Kayak would weight 70+ kilo for a comparative yak.

Faster? potentially in the longer hull lengths based on paddlers ability, more speed is more cadence. not many people can sustain moderate speeds as it is. Primarily just more glide and "easier" to paddle.

better kayak layouts because of the flexibility in design and construction.

Shinier and prettier looking with more magpie appeal.

Thermo formed Plastics are great. and the closest thing to the perfect material. they like everything also have or can have issues though. light weight and shiny with unlimited possibilities being built in a split hull configuration like a glass opens lots of avenues.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 pm

thanks mike :y:

carl101
Kayak Make: prowler 4.3

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:08 am

In South Africa i always fished fibreglass( Ericks ski and Stealth)

I purchased a Ocean kayak ultra when i moved to nz, and although it performed well, i have gone back to glass. ( New Fisha 500)

As Mike said it is each to there own, but if you are content with fishing close in say 5km there and 5km back then plastic is perfect for you. if you want to do some missions and explore, i would recommend one of the glass kayaks. Personally I feel that i can paddle that much further in glass.

if you are ever in Wellington i will happily let you have go to see what you think.

cheers

Carl

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Funny this thread has come back up again. Yes I do have a kayak underway (a usable concept design) so people can see it, that way I can get a better idea if it is a go or not :y:

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=20236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Bugger missed this post :lol:

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:49 pm

I'll keep my answer fishing related .

Glass . Short answer for everyday yak.

Speed - Lures that don't catch fish off plastic come alive at higher speeds and catch . Baits swim better trolled and catch more fish because of a better action due to more speed.

Paddling - easier to cover more ground , therefore higher chance of fish on some days in certain situations in a glass yak because I'm not as tired , as I was paddling either of my plastic yaks.

Storage - the Glass yaks have unreal fish storage especially for larger longer species. And Rods the Rod storage is awesome.

Repairs are easy enough on glass that the positive trade offs if it is damaged are worth it .

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Plastic SOT for me , I'm sure the glass boats perform much better , i.e. Faster , prettier ,but I have so little time to kayak fish I need to maximise my fishing time , and the less hassles I encounter in launching my kayak , the better ! Plastic is easy! that's the big drawcard for me , and takes a hammering in launching . I fish in Hawkes Bay mostly ,occasionally Mahia ,further North on the east coast , but the fishing is lean , and launching , bouyancy ,and safety are big issues on an exposed coastline . We don't venture too far out on this stretch of coast, so theres no need for high performance trolling , i.e. massive boat speed , generally we are happy just to be out there ! I'm speaking collectively here which may land me in trouble , but plastic is the go here in Hawkes Bay . c'mon, chuck in your opinion!

cheaterparts
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:12 am

Well I've always had plastic but made the fatal mistake and tested a stealth P/fisha 525 a couple of weeks back --- ordered one on the spot

a couple of years back If I tested glass a would more than likely bought an evo 495 or fisha 500
just we had no agents down south around Melbourne and very few glass yaks were around
the northern states were quite different having the importer/distibutor in there area

price wise theres little difference here between a glass yak or a good quality pastic so I think more will start to show ie a viking reload here costs - $2299 + $ 299 for a rudder kit + $299 for a tackle pod + $299 for a chilly pod or $ 3169 before rod holder ,sounder and a few other bits and pieces

an OK prowler 4.3 is a little cheaper and we wont talk about Hobies which also add up pretty quick

compared to say a fisha 500 stealth $ 2995 - before a sounder and some bits and pieces

thats a lot of kayak for a cheaper price -- I've ordered the 525 which costs a bit more but I feel it fitted me better

so to the question I think plastic would suit most guys just fine but if you cover a lot of distance or like easier paddling don't test out a glass kayak or like me you'll buy one

• Information