Poll of the Week - What Rods?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:39 am

Ok, a little different this week, not a poll as such as the answers will be wide and varied...

The question for the week is "What Rods?" - What rods do you have/want/recommend for your kayak fishing needs?

Imagine you were designing a range of rods for kayak fishers to use - something they could just pick up and use that was designed for them, and designed to be used on the kayak, what would you choose, think of things like rod length, line weight, ring type, even butt length and materials...

Will be interesting to see everyones opinion especially as we have such a spread of fishing styles and target species around the country...

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:44 am

I'll start this off...

Here are my thoughts and pretty much match what I already use but these would be better line weights
  • General rod/live bait/trolling - 6 foot / 8-12kg / Glass / Aqua Tip type rod / Overhead (plus spin may be)
  • Medium Softbait - 6.5 foot / 4-6kg / Carbon Graphite / Spin
  • Heavy Softbait - 6.5 foot / 8-12kg / Carbon Graphite / Spin
The medium softbait would be for my general everyday fishing around Auckland and the heavy one for the big fish country trips :)

All my fishing is on braid so I'd go for ceramic guides on all my rods
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

As I predominately soft bait so I use a 7ft 2 piece 6-10kg spinning rod 100% carbon which makes it a fragile rod but very responsive, one I have hanging out the back is a 1 piece 6ft casting rod again 4-8 kg 100% carbon with a slow jig hanging off it. Both ceramic guides and run braid through them both.

(erebro
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Any body who is serious about fishing and wants to have the best gear would own a SYNIT!!

Softbaiting ( all spin)
6-8kg 7ft 2 piece Synit Hellbent ( best rod I've seen/used, not biased cos I own one)
15lb 8ft 2 piece Tica TC2
10-15kg Okuma Xfactor

Jigging ( I plan on giving it a go on the yak this summer, also great trolling rods)
250g Jigging Master Power Spell
350g Synit Venom (sexy, very sexy)

20 or so other rubbish rods that aint worth it, all glass, future garden stakes.

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:12 pm

I use what ever rod is at the top of the pile :lol: Im not much of a softbaiter.... so really any of my rods work for snapper...Ive learnt to not spend big money on rods as they have a tendency to find my boot latch in the car :roll:

DanDan
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 pm

This is interesting as everyone has their own idea's on this, but having learned, spoke with and ultimately fish with IMO the best rod builder in Auckland I am a bit biased :lol: I am allowed to be ;)

I'll start with softbaiting!

My noodle stick is a 5'5 ft Blue Pacific 6lb-10lb two piece carbon spin its great fun in the Rangi channel had a ball last summer with it and will do again this year. Also my piper / mackeral catching stick. This rod was $50.00 chaep as.
My medium rod is an Xzoga Mastery 8lb - 16lb 6'6 carbon spin but this is a Japanese rating and 2 piece with the join in the middle. I brought this rod after watching my mate clean me up in the channel with his insane hook rate. This rod does not miss a beat and make sure your hooks can handle its load.
Unbelievably got my new Xzoga today another Mastery 6'6 carbon spin 2 piece only this one is joined at the the handle and rated 10-20lb again IMO this is a little light and will take down some serious fish (if I hook em :lol: ). Can't wait to test it up North on some mega trevs and a 20lb+ snap out of very shallow water please!
I have a custom 6'2 Livefibre carbon 6-8kg overhead built by the same rodbuilder as mentioned its great for dropping softies behind you while you use your spin for casting.

Other rods

Got a custom Livefibre 6ft 6-10kg spin last week, this will be used as my popper/piper cating rod and bait rod for snapper in the shallows during winter. A good alrounder.
My Kingie rod is cheap Shimano Spectrum 15 kg overhead I intend to replace with a custom build next winter for next summer my rod funds are gone for the near future!

For me fishing is about THE rod n reel its the essential sporting aspect of it and I will happily pay good $$$ for a great rod or reel.
Also to anyone thing of custom rods its not expensive as you think, talk to the right people and go through what you want thoroughly you can end up with a cracking set up. IMO there is a lot of crap on the market targetted at yakkers.

The Nothing
Kayak Model: Prowler Trident 15 Angler
VHF Call Sign: Slo-Mo-Shun

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned the Okuma Baidarka rods... While I don't yet have one, I have at least used one and LOVE IT. Just the right length to reach around the end of kayak, floats, shorter butt section for easier leverage and crank reach... I was recently extended a good discount from Okuma and will be picking up a few after the first of the year...
~Isaac
GreenTackle.com - staff
YakAngler.com - pro staff and editor
Outdoor Products 360 - field staff
Portland, Oregon, USA
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 Angler aka "Slo-Mo-Shun"

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Floats? With or without a reel hanging off it?
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

The Nothing
Kayak Model: Prowler Trident 15 Angler
VHF Call Sign: Slo-Mo-Shun

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18 am

They'll float an appropriately sized reel.

Thought I had included a link...
http://www.spooled.com.au/Article:1110
~Isaac
GreenTackle.com - staff
YakAngler.com - pro staff and editor
Outdoor Products 360 - field staff
Portland, Oregon, USA
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 Angler aka "Slo-Mo-Shun"

• Information