Yakfishing Competitions

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Why do you like Comps?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:44 am

Meet and Greet
39%
Compare/Learn Techniques
7%
Prizes!
6%
Fish Different Water
30%
Different Species
3%
Other
No votes
No Interest in Comps
15%

Total votes: 67
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:44 am

Haven't had one of these for a while.

So, Comps.
Every few months, there is a mad exodus of yakfishos to one end of the country or the other, flotillas of Tupperware terrorising the local fish (and land-based residents :lol:) Some go for the experience, others in the hope that when they come home, they'll need to find space in the shed for another yak...

What draws you into the competition circuit?
Place your mark beside the TWO most important factors for you.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 am

No Interest in Comps .

murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:51 am

Me either but I have enjoyed meeting other forum members and like the company of same out fishing.

Question - how do you explain how you met another forum member? Situation - LRNs 30th, in the kitchen a young lady comes up to me and says: "How do you know Rob?" Without thinking - "We met on line - oh whoa that sounds bad, no actually we met at the beach, hell that's even worse, I'll get back to you...."

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 am

I'd have like to select three: Meet and Greet / Fish Different Water / Different Specie, but went for Meet and Greet, and Fish Different Water

I know I'd never have fished some of the places I've been to had it not been for the various competitions. I really enjoy the challenge of finding out what is out there, what fish are present, and what it takes to catch them - mobility and the ease of fishing all sorts of different places is one of the biggest things that's attracted me to kayak fishing. Taranaki is a prime example as the Classic caused me to explore a part of the country I hadn't paid any attention to - part of the reason I haven't missed a Classic!. Now I don't even need that for an excuse, the challenge is trying to sneak through border control without the locals being aware :lol:

Different specie is another huge attraction e.g. chasing tuna and the challenge of achieving a Grand Slam of all the eligible specie.

The meet and greet is cool. Being based in Matamata means I don't really have a home base with a group of regulars near by (on the other side of the coin though, it's central and means I can easily escape to any point of the compass).
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 am

I'm mainly driven by the communal thing. I like to spend nice weekends by the beach, take long walks hand in hand, Oh ooops wrong forum :D

Meet and greet mainly for me. fishing different area's would also be a drive, and wasting as much fuel as I possibly can |(
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 am

Meet and greet and fishing different water for me

I notice there was no option to select "escape from the real world for 3-4 days"
I would pick this over all else.

Have really enjoyed fishing a stack of new places over the last year, making new friends and am happy to take any chance to have a "boys weekend"
A few laughs and a few beers with some fishing (especislly when the fish are on the bite) thrown in the mix makes for a near-perfect weekend to me.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:11 am

Interesting ......I took up kayak fishing as I enjoy fishing..so it was a "means to an end"....and in all honesty I use it as a way to get away from the stress of work etc etc

I've done a few comps, not as serious as some guys, and to be quite honest if the choice was "fish x comp" or throw the gear in the car and head the opposite way with a couple of mates to fish somewhere else, I'd choose the "somewhere else" just about every time...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 am

awondering wrote:No Interest in Comps .
x2

If I was to ignore that point, I'd be looking at different water and different species. That said though, I'd generally prefer to do those outside of a comp :worried:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 am

X2
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Now because i have NO decent gear, id do comps for gear but the meeting part is foremost. Third would have to be new areas!

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:11 pm

For me it just adds something a little bit different to my fishing. You meet different people, you fish different areas, you use different techineques and its a bloody good way to get away for a weekend or a full day and just fish hard with the added bonus that you could win something.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Downtown wrote:For me it just adds something a little bit different to my fishing. You meet different people, you fish different areas, you use different techineques and its a bloody good way to get away for a weekend or a full day and just fish hard with the added bonus that you could win something.
x2 -Well said Dt :y: :y:

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Must admit I'm interested in what they catch at competitions and the preparation and enthusiasm people put into it , but shift work often interferes with schedules.
See enough of bad side of Human nature at work so don't need competitions and such.

Great trips on my own are my main enjoyment and easier to work in-

Solitude is also great after being in a close team working environment , but the odd shared fishing trip is great also in the right company :y:

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm

X4

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Tara Yakka
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Cheers HLD.

My first comp (Taranaki Classic) was done in the interesrt of finding out something new. To learn something from "a seasoned pro" that would help me put food on the table, (and to possibly win a new kayak :lol: ) I couldn't resist as it was held up the road in the local pub :y: I mean, what are the chances of there being a Kayak comp being that local, when you'd only been fishing for 4 months or so??
Then I won the new kayak. :o
A few years later, I did a couple of the Kayak Fishing Series events, for three reasons. 1> A forced break from work 2> a way to see different parts of the country (fish diff' areas) and 3> meet a few more like minded people. I was cautious, however. I needed to scope out the level of intensity from these yak fisherman (Im not that good). If it was all too serious then that woulda put me off. But on the night of the prize giving, sitting around with the likes of the Tapps/Forts/Micheals, etc, etc, I found out that this group of people aint at all bad. Sure they are competitive, its a comp for :swear: sake. But they were also pretty quick to help out this newbe, and for that reason, Im hooked.
As a side note, my mate from Aussie (icky fail) came over for his birthday last June. It happened to be during the Bridge to Cape. He'd been in a yak a total of 6 times. Wasn't planning on winning anything (and didn't) and was a bit put off by the comp thing, but signed up. He had a blast. He has done 3 since, and will be over again for the Coro Gold in Oct. Not for the prizes, he could buy those if he didn't spend it on airfares. But for the beers and bullshit, and the friendship of this group of people.
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Well put tarrayaka!

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:42 am

paddlesnap wrote:Must admit I'm interested in what they catch at competitions and the preparation and enthusiasm people put into it , but shift work often interferes with schedules.
See enough of bad side of Human nature at work so don't need competitions and such.

Great trips on my own are my main enjoyment and easier to work in-

Solitude is also great after being in a close team working environment , but the odd shared fishing trip is great also in the right company :y:
You may be surprised PS with the Yak comps, theres not that much of "that" behavior" come out in them. there's always one though :P
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am

Definitely the meet and greet first, followed closely by fishing new water.

I've just discussed this with Fishboy Nick - it isn't the prizes per se that drive us, so that question wasn't ever going to be ticked by me.

But we're absurdly competitive, both he and I, when it comes to matches of skill and judgement. (I still, at 60, roadrace motorcycles; he's off to England to play top level rugby at the end of this month.) And, as should be clear from our Team Obsolete, we're as competitive between each other as with anyone else.

So the element of striving in competition is also right up there on our list. Sometimes you do well, others (like yesterday for me) you bomb out. I guess another way of explaining it is that intensifies your learning.

I've rabbited on to try explaining - so here's my last thought for this post. There are definitely comps and comps. We have ones that we like fishing - all to do with the people/spirit of the event and sets of rules we approve of - and others that don't interest us at all.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:27 pm

You may be surprised PS with the Yak comps, theres not that much of "that" behavior" come out in them. there's always one though :P[/quote]

Yeah been there done that with the competition thing , no illusions there, from an early age and at Championship level so probably well over it.

Bit like the Movie "Welcome to the jungle " when the Rock say's- I don't like guns -and you won't like me with guns!
rather do it for fun and relaxation than competition.

Cheers

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:18 pm

I love the interaction , yarns and beers with like minded yakfishos . It doesn't matter what you paddle everybody is very friendly and I like to think ive made some friends from all over the country through the comps .
Fishing new areas is also a major plus :y:
Some people say they don't like the competitive thing about comps but to be honest its YOU who decides how serious you want to be in a comp .
Its a great thing that someone who is not to serious and maybe even a novice to yakfishing but still has the same chance as anyone to win a fishing kayak as a spot prize .

• Information