Poll of the Week - How Successful..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Success Rate - How many times do you come home with a feed

Poll ended at Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am

Less than 25% of the time
10%
Between 25 and 50% of the time
10%
Between 50 and 75% of the time
33%
Over 75% of the time
47%

Total votes: 30
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:40 am

Ok, an honesty poll this week, it's anonymous so you can be honest, what percentage of the time are you successful, those trips where you come home with a feed, or could come home with a feed if you are just fishing catch and release.

We all have those days where, "the fish just weren't feeding", or "plenty of fish but just no keepers", and those days where "I had my limit in an hour", or "had my dinner within ten minutes"

Remember you are voting for how SUCCESSFUL you are - i.e. I catch a feed 75% of the time...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 am

Not eating fish myself, I guess I never catch myself a feed. :?

That being said I always catch a feed for the wife.
They may not always be monsters, but I normally bring the wife something home for dinner, and have very rarely had trips where I have not caught anything above legal size (wether I take it or not is another story).

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mental
Site Admin

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I put myself in the 50 to 75% bracket, I seem to end up with a feed most times but there have been a few trips this winter where I've been coming home empty handed that's for sure...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Danfili
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm pretty stoked with the Yak fishing scene & come home with a good feed most of the time . my wife says it's beginners luck surely after 18 months she would own up and give me credit for something :? :? :? :lol:
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:17 pm

I put myself in the over 75%, but then I use bait :D :lol:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:38 pm

I have to humbly confess to being well over the 75%
In 60-odd launches this year, I can probably count zilch days without having to take my shoes and socks off.

Although it's probably more due to a better fishery resource, and knowing when and where the fish hang out in 'my' patch rather than any legendary fishing skills.

Compared to my surfcasting days, where I don't even want to remember how many times I came back emptyhanded :roll: :roll:

To the (Very Honest) bods who have admitted a less than desirable hit rate, firstly, kudos for keeping the poll true and secondly, make yourself known so we can sort you out, and find out why you're not doing too well.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

HLD - "and knowing when and where the fish hang out in 'my' patch rather than any legendary fishing skills."

That statement sums it up - learn to know your patch

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm

In the 2 years that ive been kayak fishing ive come home with nothing only twice and one of those times the swell was so bad i had to call it quits after a few casts .
Some days are very hard though but im so stubborn i refuse to go home emty handed even if it means being on the water for 9 hours like last saturday for only 5 average gurnard . :?

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:23 pm

I would be around the 2/3 (66%) mark. But I am OK with tat hit rate. I have short range yak and fishing is not that flash immediately adjacent to Nelson, so I grudgingly accept that sometimes I will come home fishless.

Last summer camping up in Northland on holiday I would have been in the >75% bracket with my dusk fishing.

We are having two weeks at Ruakaka this year as well, and I am looking forward to heading out with a better set up and some more experience under my belt.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

DJ
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Ok ,, as im one that is keeping the poll honest , and admitted in a crap hit rate at present ,
Guess its my own doing. First i have been limited in my outings over winter , due to kids and family commitments, mix this in with a change to Soft baits rather than Bait, and getting used to all the differences, then you have listening to all those that tell me the Mussel Farms are fishing well!!!
But just you wait , apparently the KIng Fish are Spawning!!!! :D :lol: So ill get there , especially with the new improved fishing beast!!! :shock:

kayak chris

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dj dj dj, what can I saw to that...... (shakes head)

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJ
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Dj dj dj, what can I saw to that...... (shakes head)

OK Chris ,,, sorry didnt mean to make you a little sore ,, saw???
But hey ,,, maybe i am just gloating on the fact i went to the Farms, and didnt have to swim to the Buoys!!! But hey like you , Roll on the weekend!! :P

kayak chris

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:09 pm

;)

Kayaks-

nz_samurai
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMT5850

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:32 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote: To the (Very Honest) bods who have admitted a less than desirable hit rate, firstly, kudos for keeping the poll true and secondly, make yourself known so we can sort you out, and find out why you're not doing too well.
After a very frustrating day off Narrowneck yesterday I'm going to have to take you up on that offer. Was getting heaps of bites (well nibbles) but just not able to hook anything. With the amount of bites I was getting I was expecting to at least come home with dinner but it just didn't happen. The only thing I ended up with for my troubles after staying out for so long was a bit of sunburn!

I was drifting and using soft-baits with 3/8 Nitro jig heads (3/0 hooks) with a mixture of 4" Swimming Mullet and 5" nuke chook baits.

Was it just a matter of being unlucky and the nibbles I was getting likely to be very small fish or is there something fundamentally wrong I'm doing to hook a fish? There was another gentleman out there on a Scrambler doing that same thing I (thought I) was doing and while he commented on the morning being slow yet still managed to pull in a few keepers (on nuke chooks also) so I know there were fish there.

I'm very new to fishing so it's hard to know what a good bite feels like and unfortunately I have to be honest is say this is a typical day out on the water for me so any and all wisdom you good folk would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

(erebro
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Hey Steve, Be aware that sometimes the bottom can feel like a little nibble. Strike it hard on every little tickle unless of course your in the foul, then be a little careful what you strike at, if you don't hook it and it hasn't felt the pressure then it will come back for another go. Also keep in mind that what seems like a small bite may infact be a big fish, some of the biggest snapper I have landed including my PB (boat,28lb) have felt like a little fish until I set the hook.

Perseverance and patience bud, I don't seem to have any trouble catching a feed, in fact I have only ever come back empty handed once and that was because I forgot my drogue and it was a 25knt wind, I guess if you get to know the area your fishing you'll do a little better. As a rule change of light is the best fishing or over cast days.

10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish, you want to be in the 10%!

(although this poll pretty much destroys that theory)

Harry
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Hhumm how to gauge this.... I don't get out fishing as much as I would like. Currently about once a month :cry: :cry: However when I do go I really make the effort and can only think of one trip this year when I did not catch anything... mussel farms at Miranda, but I know that I was not the only one that weekend.

Like KK I will stay out as long as it takes, 8 - 9 hours is not unheard of.

I guess what I am saying is that while I would put myself in the 75% category would this be the same if I went fishing a whole lot more frequently :geek:

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Opito Bay the Sunday of Labour weekend is the only time this year that I haven't caught (or even had bites). All the boats around me were shifting around every half hour or so too so I guess it wasn't just me that day. :roll:
I've only started Yak fishing a few months ago so hard to get a good gauge on sucess rate.

I'll make a point of getting out there heaps over the next couple of months :D :D :D
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Mental
Site Admin

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Harry wrote:would this be the same if I went fishing a whole lot more frequently :geek:
Interesting comment, watch this space but if all falls into place I'm going to try a little experiment next year - fishing everyday for sixty days...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Mental wrote:
Harry wrote:would this be the same if I went fishing a whole lot more frequently :geek:
Interesting comment, watch this space but if all falls into place I'm going to try a little experiment next year - fishing everyday for sixty days...
:o :o :o

I'd love to see that Mental
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

(erebro
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:07 pm

I suppose I go fishing a fair bit, atleast once a week I go out on the boat and again in the yak, depends on the weather, I'll be going out a bit more now that the kings are around. I will stay out until I catch something most of the time, but then I only go to places I know I'm going to catch fish, I know this area very well and what the fish are up to so feel confident I can find a fish or two.

60 days fishing, jebus I could not hack that in a yak, 5 hours of jigging killed me so bad my arms are still sore!!

Im sure if you put in the hours yeah you'd keep catching them.

• Information