How Much? Eat or Give?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

How Much? Eat or Give?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Eat none I give it all away
No votes
Eat some give the majority away
12%
About half and half
30%
Eat the majority myself and give a bit away
51%
Keep it all to myself
7%

Total votes: 74
Idealizedredesign
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5596

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Same as G1,
Actually I find I agree with most of what he says, should I see a doctor? :D
Sleep in, eat a good breakfast, paddle out slow.

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:58 pm

I don't catch more than I (and family) can eat in one or two meals. Not interested in catching bag limits, just enough for a feed.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Idealizedredesign wrote:Same as G1,
It might pay too!! :lol:

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 pm

G1 wrote:
I agree with G1.

...... damn now I need to go see a doctor.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

G1

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 pm

destin wrote:
G1 wrote:
I agree with G1.

...... damn now I need to go see a doctor.
:lol: Its going to be a busy night at the Docs :lol:

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm

TwoSpoons wrote:I don't catch more than I (and family) can eat in one or two meals. Not interested in catching bag limits, just enough for a feed.
Aye. I'm only interested in what can be eaten in one or two feeds. Too much work filleting otherwise ;-) I release the rest or give to Family and friends.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 pm

I catch and gather a lot every week and I keep enough for three meals for the family(long enough to keep it in the fridge and still be fresh) and then freeze enough for a midweek meal so only in the freezer for a couple of days, the rest gets given away to different people on my give away list ever week. Crays and paua are a little different I give a few crays away but like to have a couple in the freezer for when people come to visit when I haven't been able to get any fresh ones for them and the paua I keep so I have a stash as I don't get them with any regularity :geek:

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm

1-3 years ago I fished regularly enough to catch my limit twice over, bring half a dozen home and give half of that away.
Sadly I don't get out so much....... In fact haven't had fish for 3 months ;( so next bin full will hopefully be my limit and all mine :P . Fish heads always go to a good home and rarely wasted now too.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:23 pm

If I was catching more I would be giving away more. My one dogfish per trip doesn,t share out that well :D
You can't catch a fish from the couch

mitchfam
Kayak Model: Tempo

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

I only catch enough for 1 or 2 fresh meals for myself, wife & 4 kids ( and occassionally the in-laws up the road). Thats usually 4-5 depending on the size of them. I dont like filleting anymore than that and not into baking whole.
We steam the frames & head, pick the flakes of meat off as my wife makes amazing thai fish cakes..
Also it is nice knowing I am 2 mins walk from the beach and 300 metres (as the crow flies) to my fav spot so fresh fish is never far away..

uktim
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: navigator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4068

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

I only usually catch 2 or 3 meals worth of fish just for myself.......but generally not through choice |(
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

paul77
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt, cobra marauder

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:47 pm

i go for my limit every time i go fishing . i don't always catch it- in fact very rarely but all legal fish i catch come on board , i have no problems eating frozen fish . If i have a particularly good catch i might give awy to family and friends otherwise i eat well for a week :y:

G1

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Perfect example...Went fishing last night caught 5 fish...filleted them and gave them all away :y:

Tara Yakka
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:53 pm

G1 wrote:I eat a bit of my fish (mrs doesn't eat fish)and I give the rest away. I get great pleasure in giving it away. I figure I have spent the money to catch them, I might as well catch a few more so others can enjoy it. This saves them paying ridiculous prices at the supermarket.
I always have a reserve stash in the freezer for me though :y:

YIP, pretty much all I need to say.
Although, leading into the Taranaki Classic, I have been stock piling Kahawai (and tuna scraps) for bait/berley...
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

crabman
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Thought this one could be an interesting poll.

I personally only really fish once a week if Im lucky and always fish for the enjoyment of being on the water first and then for the table.
Most of my catch is given away each time I go out and this sometimes starts with fellow yakkers on the water then onto surfcasters on the beach if Im feeling really generous.
My parents love fresh fish and cant afford to buy it so theres always fresh fillets for them, then the in laws get a couple of feeds normally leaving a couple of feeds for my family.
If the gurnard are biting Im not shy at freezing it and rarely give any away. I dont have a vacuume sealer so just freeze the fillets in a freezer bag but make sure to get as much air out as possible and pack flat for better thawing. Still tastes better than anything bought from the local Chippies.

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Nice one G1, i used to live in Whiti! Good area for speading the wealth around!!
Crabman, ive been givin a few fish when i was a surfcaster, thats what made me get a yak!! lols

Little Fish
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5 elite

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Go for the limit - but rarely reach it but means we can be generous with fresh fish - keep enough for 2 meals for 2 adults 2 kids; rest to extended family and friends and neighbours. At age 91 my Nana's not up to getting out there to catch any but really enjoys fresh snapper as wouldn't buy fish on the pension. Best enjoyed fresh - never freeze! Exception may be smoked fish pie as a popular meal to share with families in need at church.

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 pm

The 4 Fish from the comp on sat went half to the lady that we get kebabs off, they're Greek and don't have any way of getting fresh fish but love it, and the other half went to a senior friend of the wife's who's now moved into a club for retired naked people. Both were received with fantastic smiles. Definitely a real buzz you get from sharing something that's less accessible than you realise. "fresh" snapper or I guess any fish in a supermarket just means "hasn't been frozen" but they still chill the shit out of it and it can be several days to a week off being caught. We are a seriously lucky bunch of bastards, and can spread a lot of awesome without a great deal of effort.

How much is a vacuum packer for freezing fillets? I'd never tried as frozen fish has always been a waste in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm

:o catching fish you don't eat seems wrong to me. The only fish I ever throw out is my bait when it gets too stinky. We have a limit where we fish of only 10 finfish per angler. It still seems like more than enough. Maybe the limits should be MORE stringent not less. Being legally allowed to catch 30 fish per angler in some places seems way too many to me. There might have been less troubles with overfishing in the sounds if more fisherman were catching less.
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I dunno if you are just a wind up merchant mate

The guy is being provocative, just spit the hook.
Blazer60
In between ships ZMW5911
Any Stealths for sale?

• Information