Any Hot Pepper (chilli) growers about?

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
DARKE ANGLER
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Hobie Outback Camo

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 pm

I've been growing hot and bell peppers for a while now and have been making sauces, drying and grinding etc.
Currently growing and harvesting the below, but am always adding and removing varieties.
I purchase seeds direct from the NuMex Pepper Institute to ensure I get what I pay for.
I'll post some pics up from home later tonight. Can't upload from work.

Black Prince - Extremely Hot :devil:
Cajamarca/Bhut Jolokia hybrid - Extremely Hot :devil:
Yellow Rocotto - Extremely Hot :devil:
Takanotsume (Hawk Claw) - Medium Hot :sweat:
Spanish Piquillo - Very Low heat, but probably the sweetest pepper I've ever tasted :inlove:

Lastly.. I'm only germinating them now, but have some Trinidad Moruga Scorpions on the way.
These have just taken the title of the NEW hottest peppers in the world. I probably wont get to experience their true heat as our weather is :swear: for hot peppers.

Anyone doing anything exciting in the garden?
I have plenty of seeds I'm willing to share if you want to get started.
Also I'll be bringing some fresh peppers, and a couple of different sauces to the meet at Martins on the 24/25.
Hobie Out Back 2017

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Ooohhhh..... :y: :y: :y:

Wouldn't mind a few Jolokia seeds if you have any spare, the last of our seed failed last summer.

Howdya manage to get the NuMex seeds past MaF, or do you fork out for the extortionate phytosanitary certs?
Ours keep getting incinerated - maybe we're on a list somewhere |(

I'll have a look tonight and see what we've got that we could swap
I know we have Ancho, Poblano, Chipotle and Habeneros, also have a contact up north who does the Pimento (very nice in home made cheese)

Chuck 'em in the smoker - Awesome flavour in molé sauce.

Found this on the web a while back, printed and laminated, it hangs in pride of place in the galley:
Chilli Periodic.jpg
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Couldn’t see these in your list HLD >>> phrik khii nuu , I have no idea where in the scale they fit, but tried them in Thailand, translates to something like "mouse shit chillies" a few seconds after having them my lips swelled like the nutty professors, the scalp got tighter and tighter on me skull, and sweated profusely for a few days … absolutely nothing could quell the fire….
Last edited by awondering on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:25 pm

awondering wrote:Couldn’t see these in your list HLD >>> phrik khii nuu , ...
Named after the involuntary noises you make after chewing... :D
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

DARKE ANGLER

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Ooohhhh..... :y: :y: :y:

Wouldn't mind a few Jolokia seeds if you have any spare, the last of our seed failed last summer.

Howdya manage to get the NuMex seeds past MaF, or do you fork out for the extortionate phytosanitary certs?
Ours keep getting incinerated - maybe we're on a list somewhere |(

I'll have a look tonight and see what we've got that we could swap
I know we have Ancho, Poblano, Chipotle and Habeneros, also have a contact up north who does the Pimento (very nice in home made cheese)

Chuck 'em in the smoker - Awesome flavour in molé sauce.

Found this on the web a while back, printed and laminated, it hangs in pride of place in the galley:
If you're at the meet I'll bring them, if not, flick me a PM with your address.
As far as MAF goes, we've never had anything stopped.
Also have a look at the NuMex site and let me know if there's anything you want :y:
Hobie Out Back 2017

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Yeah mate, I've grown a few chillis in the past. Don't think I have any of the seeds left, but would be keen if you have a few spare! Dont need the nut rash hot ones (or whatever A said) :P
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

YakM@
Kayak Model: 2plus1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8934

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 pm

As of last month there is a new world's hottest chillie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale - The Trinidad Moruga Scorpian
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

DARKE ANGLER

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah mate.. and I have 3 seeds. Better not stuff this up.. they're the only ones I can get!
Nearly all the seed retailers have sold out.

The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T(Taylor) was unoffically hotter than the Jolokia until the Moruga came along.
Gonna be interesting :clap:
Hobie Out Back 2017

rosewood
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

A mate of mine left me a couple of jolokia seedling plants a while ago..they've grown and I've got a few chillis of them lately..too scared to eat them so far :sweat:

Just wondering how you guys use/eat them??? Any recommendations (recipes/sauces) that you don't mind sharing? Don't really want to let them go to waste..

DARKE ANGLER

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am

Pepper quantities depend on taste, but usually around 6-8 Full Heat Jolokias for this bad boy.. :devil:

Ingredients:
6-8 Jolokias (Med/Hot)
1 Banana
1 Whole Red Onion
1/2 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Malt Vinegar
1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons Light Soy
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
1 Teaspoon Rock Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Coriander

Method:
-Blend to a fine consistency, but not too thin
-Pour contents into a large saucepan
-Bring the element up to medium and start cooking
-At the first sign of bubbles forming, reduce heat to the lowest setting (VERY IMPORTANT!! :!: )
-Slow cook for 1 hour

-Remove from heat and allow to cool
-Refridgerate overnight and repeat the cooking process the next day
-Allow to cool

This sauce can be refridgerated but is best at room temparature.
I've kept bottles of this in the cupboard not refridgerated for nearly 3 months without issue, so it stores well.
I'll be bringing some along to the Meet :clap:

ENJOY!!!
Hobie Out Back 2017

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 am

I have some red rocotto. It's a very odd sort of a chilli plant.

Normal chilli: Shurb like habit with shurb like waxy leaves, small white flowers, whitish seeds, frost tender
Rocotto: Almost vine like habit, potato plant like leaves, purple fowers, black seeds, seemingly tolerant of some frosts

No real heat in the flesh when raw, but after you cook it cook it and look the :swear: out :sweat: :sweat:

I got some seeds from a person I visited, and my plant is in its first year but man does it grow. Big test will be whether it can surviev the light frosts we get in our area of Nelson.

I also have a red dragon variety in a planter which will come indoors over winter.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

rosewood
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Cheers JJ :y:

Will give this a crack and when I get a few more chillis from the plants, still not sure if I'm brave enough to to try it though :sweat: I tried a thin slice of one the other week and it left my mouth literally burning for over half an hour..

The plants themselves have been flowering well over the summer but they haven't converted to too many chillis..any suggestions to help make them more productive?

rosewood

DARKE ANGLER

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

rosewood wrote:The plants themselves have been flowering well over the summer but they haven't converted to too many chillis..any suggestions to help make them more productive?
The main issue we have in Auckland is humidity and over-watering causing the fruit to rot on the plant, and this season, the lack of good runs of clear/warm weather.
Most of the range of peppers I've been growing are from very hot climates, like the Jolokia's from India for example.
Our general climate creates an issue where the general heat of the peppers is reduced.
To get hotter peppers, DON'T WATER THEM, until they start to wilt.
The worse you treat them, they hotter they get.

I've also found night time temps don't make a lot of difference to the south american peppers.
Bearing in mind the extreme cold some of those peppers experience in the deserts they originate from at night.
This is not the case for tropical countries like Cuba, where my Black Prince variety originated where the heat doesn't drop too much overnight.

A couple tricks for bulk pepper production is to remove the first few flowers you see form, as if they pollinate and produce fruit, the plant basically thinks it's done it's job for the season, flower production shuts down, and the plant starts to focus on ripening the existing fruit.
The other thing is to ensure you pick peppers when they ripen, or again the plant is on the 'Job done' buzz.
Overall, try and pick peppers from countries that have climates similar to ours, or try and recreate the environment.
Hobie Out Back 2017

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Not been the best year for my chillies ether. Just flowering now! Should have potted them like I used to do with my Tai Chilly. Had that growing all year round for 3years (until an ex killed it). Would keep it inside by the window of Winter and outside when it was warm/Sunny enough for Summer, and it would grow all year round.. We just haven't got enough Sun this year.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Jungl3Jim wrote:I've been growing hot and bell peppers for a while now and have been making sauces, drying and grinding etc.
Currently growing and harvesting the below, but am always adding and removing varieties.
I purchase seeds direct from the NuMex Pepper Institute to ensure I get what I pay for.
I'll post some pics up from home later tonight. Can't upload from work.

Black Prince - Extremely Hot :devil:
Cajamarca/Bhut Jolokia hybrid - Extremely Hot :devil:
Yellow Rocotto - Extremely Hot :devil:
Takanotsume (Hawk Claw) - Medium Hot :sweat:
Spanish Piquillo - Very Low heat, but probably the sweetest pepper I've ever tasted :inlove:

Lastly.. I'm only germinating them now, but have some Trinidad Moruga Scorpions on the way.
These have just taken the title of the NEW hottest peppers in the world. I probably wont get to experience their true heat as our weather is :swear: for hot peppers.

Anyone doing anything exciting in the garden?
I have plenty of seeds I'm willing to share if you want to get started.
Also I'll be bringing some fresh peppers, and a couple of different sauces to the meet at Martins on the 24/25.
:D ..this Forum never ceases to amaze me......!!...the stuff that people are interested in....

Well I dont have a green thumb, but I dont mind a nice chilli, in moderation, so if you've got some seeds and some basic growing instructions, I wouldn't mind giving it a crack !!!!......
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Potassium/potash is an important nutrient for any fruit. If fruiting is poor a bit of potassium rich fertilizer make a difference. I use thrive fruit and flowers. The right amount of watering is important too. Water stressed plant drop young fruit.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

DARKE ANGLER

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 am

MikeAqua wrote:Potassium/potash is an important nutrient for any fruit. If fruiting is poor a bit of potassium rich fertilizer make a difference. I use thrive fruit and flowers. The right amount of watering is important too. Water stressed plant drop young fruit.
:y:

I agree about the potassium, but if you've prep'd your garden well prior to planting, ie Dolomite Lime to hold PH balance long term, and the Potash you've mentioned, then a well balanced fert is all you need. I use Tomarite myself, as it fully organic.
I personally don't like to use chem ferts for plants i plan on eating and can't flush or stop feeding for a long period prior to harvesting. I'm harvesting pretty much weekly and don't like the thought of the chemicals hanging around. :puke: (Now where is that 'Hippy' smilie?) :lol:

As far as the watering goes, the thing i'm trying to illustrate is that in AK our humidity levels are not suited to growing peppers. One of the many reasons for waiting on the first signs of wilt prior to watering here is that it is VERY easy to overwater. Each to their own I guess, but this is what works for me :)

@Hainesy and others who have asked, if you're going to the meet I'll be bringing some with, as well as a couple of sauces I've made. If not PM me and we'll sort something out :y:
Hobie Out Back 2017

4BT
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 pm

I am a big fan of hot hot chillies and chilli sauces. The hotter the better :devil: :devil:

I was given a pack containing 10 different packets of chilli seeds at christmas, but as we had my mother staying with us at the time, I didn't get round to planting them.

I am really only interested in planting the hotter varieties, so have a packet each of Pimientos de padron (mild-medium), fresno (medium) and cherry bomb (medium) that I am quite happy to pass on. So anyone wanting to give growing them a bash, drop me a PM with your address and I'll flick them off to you.

The ones in the pack I am really keen to grow are fatalii, paper lantern habanero and orange habanero. So anyone with any specific do's and dont's for growing these particular varieties, please speak up. I don't want to waste any of these seeds if I can avoid it. I'm guessing I would probably be better waiting until nearer next summer before I plant them, but if I'm wrong let me know.
I've not grown chillies before, been spoilt by being able to walk in to the supermarket and pick up birds eye as well as scotch bonnets off the shelf. Probably the only thing I actually miss about living in Scotland!!

I have been making do with some shop bought hot sauces. Found one called 100% Pain which the Aussie Butcher used to stock, but not had any for the last couple of months. My wife was at the Kumeu show at the weekend and brought me a hot sauce home called Blairs Mega Death Sauce. When my wife tried it at the show, she started to have a bit of trouble with her breathing and a mild dose of heart palpitations. Probably the hottest sauce I have tasted to date, but not the hottest sauce they do. Guess what's next on my list. :D This is the website for the guys that sell it here. http://www.tonguehammerfood.co.nz Some interesting products on there, I think I'm also going to get myself one of the rubs, some of the chips and the hot wings sauce. Mmmmmmm marinated hot wings done on the webber. :inlove:

yakkingbrendon
Kayak Model: Revolution
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 am

I have been a chilehead for quite a few years now over here in Australia and had about 30 different types and 140 plants at one stage but have calmed down now and only have about 10 different varities now.
Cant beat a Habenero variety IMHO .
As far as germinating Habeneros go I seem to recall they need about 23c to germinate well. I used to do it under a lamp in spring to have the seedlings ready nice and early as they take a fair while to fruit.
Spoilt over here as most varieties are available as advanced plants from Bunnings or the local markets and we have a big chile festivile each year which I had to drive past to launch for a yakfishing trip on sunday talk about conflicted.
All the latest chile varieties are available at the festivile as well as every leathal sauce and condiment known to man.
Its been above 40c twice in the past week and it gives the ole chiles hell...

Heres a home made uncooked Chile Salsa receipe that a lot of people who know me always want me to bring to their parties.

BRENDON’S CHILLIE SALSA
1-2 red onion
6-8 roma tomatoes
1 each Green and red capsicum
400g tinned corn (drained)
I can Old Elpaso mexe beans
pickled jalapeno peppers
bunch coriander
2 table spoons tomato paste
2 celery sticks
Cumin to taste
Cayene pepper to taste 1 tsp approx
Habenero chiles to taste (1-2) caution use gloves !!
Salt
garlic (optional)
red wine vinegar
Finely dice all vegies and put all ingredients in bowl,add red wine vinegar till almost at top of other ingredients.
Make an effort to find habenero chillies in some form as they are the "secret" ingredient!

Had some rocotos at one stage definately punch well above their Scoville weight .Unfortunately not the right climate here for Andean chiles.
What ever works for tomatoes where you are will work great for chiles.

DARKE ANGLER

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 pm

A few pics of the girls, they're all around 1.2m tall except for the hybrids at around 1m.
Attachments
Black Prince 1.JPG
Black Prince 2.JPG
Cajamarca_Bhut Jolokia 1.JPG
Cajamarca_Bhut Jolokia 2.JPG
Takanotsume_(Hawk Claw).JPG
Last edited by DARKE ANGLER on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie Out Back 2017

• Information