are there any auto electricians amongest us

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
swivels
Kayak Make: hobie
Kayak Model: hobie proangler

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:06 pm

if so i want to pick your brains.i have made a electric trolly to get my pro angler through the soft sandit works very well but i have a question.it is a 24 volt motor and i am runing two 12 volt batterys as 24 volt and they are 12 amp hour each.i am runing 15 amp wire. does this mean i can not use the full 24 amps from the two batterys because the wireing is rated at 15 amp compasity. :headbang: :^) your help would be much apreaceated.

vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Pro GT
VHF Call Sign: nil

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 pm

If it works ok and does not appear to get hot, it should be fine. I assume you are not going great distances? :y:

RobEdward
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7966

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm not an auto sparky but...

Firstly your concern about the batteries being 12A. The batteries being 12A is the capacity of the battery not the amperage that they discharge at. A 12V battery with a 12Ahr capacity will give 12V @ 1A for 12 hrs or 12V @ 2A for 6 Hrs etc..

Now with the actual draw, it depends on the load that will be put on the motor as to what the amp draw will be.

So long as your motor has a wattage no more than 300 watts max output you should be fine.

Watts/Volts = Amps

300W/24V = 12.5A

You could use a multimeter (assuming you have access to one that can handle the expected amperage, most el cheapos will not handle more than about 10A) or put a 15A fuse inline and see if it blows under load.
•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699

WEE WILLY
Kayak Model: Frenzy-4.1 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 5277

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Yep, Rob's on the right track. Motor will determine current drawn from the supply.
If your two batteries in series deliver the 24VDC the rest of the circuit should be designed to suit the connected load (motor).
<*))))><
<*))))><....<*))))><....
<*))))><....<*))))><....<*))))><....<*))))><....
<*))))><.... <*))))><....
<*))))><....

dwmonty
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:59 am

Remember to put a fuse in the system! Any 24v system will run lower amps than the equivalent 12v due to formulae that Rob mentioned.

swivels
Kayak Make: hobie
Kayak Model: hobie proangler

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:00 pm

:y: :y: thanks fellas you have been a big help. the motor does slow down a lot if the grade gets a bit steep.if i just lean on it. it has the momentem to keep going and the distence isnt great only fourty fifty mtrs in the hard going.on the flat going its a fast walk to keep up to it.

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:46 pm

:tmi: Heres the post you have to hate. Yes I have a qualification in Automotive electrical engineering....but no I don't give out advice on forums anymore, as there is always a backyard know all to tell you that your wrong. Good luck :lol:

RobEdward
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7966

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:33 am

G1 wrote::tmi: Heres the post you have to hate. Yes I have a qualification in Automotive electrical engineering....but no I don't give out advice on forums anymore, as there is always a backyard know all to tell you that your wrong. Good luck :lol:
Perhaps we could prove you wrong (with regards the know it alls LOL) on this forum. If you've something to add then you definitely should! I'm no expert backyard or otherwise. ;)
•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:58 pm

A 24 volt motor and i am runing two 12 volt batterys as 24 volt and they are 12 amp hour each. I am runing 15 amp wire. Does this mean i can not use the full 24 amps from the two batterys because the wiring is rated at 15 amp
The batteries are in series so the voltage is doubled (24 volts) but maximum output current available is the same as from one, not twice the current rating. If they were in parallel then the current output could be doubled but the voltage would be 12 volts.

Your question can not be answered without the motor rating, watts or current rating figures.

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm

G1 wrote::tmi: Heres the post you have to hate. Yes I have a qualification in Automotive electrical engineering....but no I don't give out advice on forums anymore, as there is always a backyard know all to tell you that your wrong. Good luck :lol:
That's because most of your advice is about random inappropriate crappie that has nothing to do with auto electrical work :*
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

• Information