Anyone fished in Rarotonga?

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Me and a bunch of mates are turning 40 this year. I figured I need a holiday somewhere tropical. So I might as well do some fishing while I'm there. Does anyone have a charter they recommend?
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Heard its quite seasonable, so check whats around at the time

If you do Raro, do Aitutaki as well
Have fished the reefs in a kayak in aitutaki, your softbait rod will do the trick, spinners & softies are all you need.... you dont need a yak, just wade out like the fly fishers do Bluefin trevs easy enough to hook up with smoking runs with the odd 20kg gt close by to keep you interested. Just book accommodation that has kayaks on offer for the tenants.... they are not purpose fishing yaks
Did game fishing there too (black pearl charters) half day in the morning before sunrise. They fish the fads just off shore, was mostly mahimahi with yellowfin in the mix, small fish up to 10kg that time.... were 30kg weeks before
Would be ideal when the wahoo do their run in season
Can recommend doing the lagoon tour that does snorkeling, amazing visibility with heaps of fish life

Schecter

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:54 am

Cheers mate. I'll have to check with the missus if she's keen to go to Aitutaki. I'll contact black pearl and see what they have avaliable. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,

Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:33 am

Having fished Raro and Aitutaki, I would heartily recommend Black Pearl, Mike is awesome, nothing too much trouble, gives you a full range of locations and techniques and full involvement. Casting poppers for GT's is the most exciting fishing I've ever experienced. Charters out of Raro were not so good...it felt like we simply paid for the privilege of winching in fish, caught heaps of big yellow fin tuna, wahu and mahi-mahi, when we got back to the wharf all the decent fish simply vanished, including all the mahi-mahi, we were each given a small bag of tuna fillets....like I said , felt like we'd paid to be deck hands....
If you want cheap accommodation on Aitutaki, try Matriki Beach huts, pretty basic, but brilliant snorkeling right off the beach!

zeropak
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite

Thu May 02, 2019 5:10 pm

If you want to fish out of Raro there are lots of good choices. 2 I know about are George on Akura Charters or Diane and Junior on Marlin Queen, I think they are running 3 boats now so they can give you choices depending on the number of anglers.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri May 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Aitutaki "Stunning"

Schecter

Mon May 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Now i'm really looking forward to it. I've also been told to take some buckets of KFC to woo the locals. Apparently it's like gold over there.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Tue May 28, 2019 9:39 am

I'm over there next week! Hopefully the fishing gods will be kind to me (and I can get a pass).
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

• Information