CCTV or hidden camera enquires

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi everyone.

Is there anyone who could recommend a camo CCTV camera? I have a problem with a useless sack of shi# that keeps dumping rubbish on my driveway. I think it could be a disgruntled former work colleague but I need the photographic/video evidence. Can anyone recommend anything?

Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 am

Any of the trailcams will do what you want. Can be set to record video or stills on motion detection.
The cheaper ones will have a glow from the LEDs at night, whereas as you go up in range these become completely invisible.

When you say "rubbish" - If it's kleensacks of normal domestic stuff, then put a pair of gloves on and tip that baby out. 95% of the time there's some identifying feature (name, address) in there.

...Then pay a visit and jam some frozen pilchards into their car subframe :angel:
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Schecter

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:40 am

...Then pay a visit and jam some frozen pilchards into their car subframe :angel:
[/quote] :D Thanks HLD.

I prefer a night vision camera. Something small and discreet. The rubbish seems to be thrown from a passing vehicle late at night or very early in the morning. The contents range from takeaway packaging, beer bottles, woodstock cans, old bread and light bulbs.

It's become a walking hazard for small kids walking on the footpath, hence the reason I want to get a camera. I've searched the contents for an address or name but nothing so far.

I've managed to compile an archive of photos and footage to gather evidence but all I need is a positive ID.

Hell, maybe later I could upload a video on facetubes to shame their dumbass.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:38 am

Schecter wrote:
...Then pay a visit and jam some frozen pilchards into their car subframe
If you find out where their house is, frozen grapefruit or lemons, lobbed onto their roof, from a wee way away, in the 3am, can be enjoyable. More effective if you've played cricket or baseball.
VALKOHAI
Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

kingiFiddler

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Schecter wrote:
Hell, maybe later I could upload a video on facetubes to shame their dumbass.
Yes please. Safer communities, together :-)

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Check their mailbox for them, cross all mail as "DECEASED" Return to sender and throw it in the nearest post box
Repeat until honour is sufficiently satisfied

Back to the real world:
If you do want to be all grown up and sensible, any footage online could jeopardise future proceedings

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Schecter

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 pm
Check their mailbox for them, cross all mail as "DECEASED" Return to sender and throw it in the nearest post box
Repeat until honour is sufficiently satisfied

Back to the real world:
If you do want to be all grown up and sensible, any footage online could jeopardise future proceedings
Darn! It's so bloody hard being sensible. :|
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:39 pm

You could get a WiFi security camera from China. Setting up etc. isn't easy. There are a number of free security software programmes, generally for Windows. Yes, I've played around. No, not convinced what is the best.

The simplest are cameras using video cable and lengths of up to 50 meters are available for about $20. In this case you'd generally use a special box for the job, approx $20-30 a camera, about $30 for the box.

However, if you can put a waterproof box down at the side of the drive, a USB camera and a laptop can be an easy option and again free software. This can be set to record motion only.

One installation I do look after uses a box bought in NZ plus cameras. We've had to replace a couple of cameras after a power supply fault. Cameras ~$20 each from China. This installation is easy to use and to copy the recorded video from, to a computer. Use an old modem, not on the internet, to link it to your computer.

Video is recorded in an odd security camera format (.DAV ?) but VLC (free video player programme) can easily be set to play it. I have the steps you take to do it, 6 steps!

Snap 4T
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 am

Hi Schecter, I installed Swann HD CCTV (3.2m/5mp?? ) at work before Xmas & not impress with the quality.
Maksure its high quality HD else you cant see their faces or license plate.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Yeah, 5MP isn't great, even in daylight really.

H&F have the Moultrie Game Spy 2+ for $150, certainly not top shelf, but can always repurpose as general home security later if you upgrade.
Chuck one in the roses by the gate for starters, they're fully self contained, no cables, boxes or power, and I'm sure a smart cookie like you could fabricate up some cunning camo (Find an old Pine log and fillet the bark shell off it, or hollow out a possum....)

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

Most cheap CCTV cameras fall down with the quality of the lens. Theres little point in a 10MP camera if the lens is fuzzy, distorted or low contrast.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

• Information