Far North big game fishing?

The place to post information about fishing competitions and events, both kayak only and general fishing.
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:31 pm

As there's a fair few of us now who are serious about catching a marlin from a yak unassisted by boat I've been thinking about puting together a Big Game fishing Weekend for those who are intrested. My thoughts were having it basied at my parents place in coopers beach - They have a fair bit of accomadation and it's a fairly central place to target the main gamefish locations, it's avaliable all the time and it comes very cheep.

The plan would start once the "blue" water comes in and reports of good marlin and tuna catches are reported. Then we would wait for a weekend where there was a good weather window and there weren't any other kayak events on and go from there (we can do this if we use my parents place as we don't need to book a specific weekend)

Target species would be Any of the three marlin species that visit, Mahimahi(yes thery are up here in the summer) and tuna of course. This would be a serious undertaking and I would expect that there would be a minimum of 30km's paddled in a day so only for serious paddlers. Safety would be each Kayaker's responsiablity but a "chase" boat could be arranged if the general consensous is that we need one however this would drive up the cost a fair bit.

Fishing could be east or west coast depending on what side the blue water comes closest and where the main "bite" is reported - the west coast launch spots are still within one hour's drive from coopers beach.

At this stage this is just a thought that's bouncing around in my head and I'm trying to gauge intrest here so please let me know what you think...

PS : This is for paddle , pedal and wind powered kayaks only - no motors :lol:

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:43 pm

While I'm not overly keen on a marlin, mahimahi and tuna I most definitely am!! Should have the pinny by then which might help. Keep me posted :y:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Could be keen... I too would be chasing tuna
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Tara Yakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Weigh in Kerry? Paddling back with my 100kg Stripy will be fun...
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: 525

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 pm

ill be keen Kerry sounds like a fun weekend and any game fish would be a plus
Stealth 525
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Kerry

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Tara Yakka wrote:Weigh in Kerry? Paddling back with my 100kg Stripy will be fun...
At this stage the thinking is that there wouldn't be a weigh in as this isn't intended to be a competiition as such, more a get together with a focus on game fishing.

Dr Groper
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 pm

It would, as ever, depend on whether I was working, but like others I'd be keen to chase tuna and would love to bag a Mahimahi. Marlin, less so.
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMU4121

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 pm

No need to ask me dude i'm in :rock: ..this area would be the place to target these species with the close depths from shore and when the blue water is in close :y: ..
Yeeha can see some slay rides already :rock: ...if you happen to hook up with a biggie remember this could easily end up a 50km + day on the water you have to feel comfortable doing those big paddles far from coastline snapper fishing :y: ...

MUNTID
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: MUNTID

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Yep sweet kerry that discussion we had on our way hm from coro was Game on bro :rock:
Pinnacle kayak's NZ
Northland proud Synit rod bender and Accurate reel screamer...
Huge thank's to our sponsor's...

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:08 am

Oh to have blue water on your back door aye :y:

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:35 am

8) I'm in :y:

YakFisho Snapps

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:51 pm

paddlesnap wrote:8) I'm in :y:
Mean as dude :rock: , will be good to see ya hard on the rails hooking up in the sik too much..plenty of room in my central rod chute area to help you out if need be :y:...

sharkey
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish,espri,prowler
VHF Call Sign: sharkey

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Count me in :y: ...who cares what other events are on.......we get a good weather pattern lets nail it, been planning towards this for a while, got some good input......I was preparing a team attack for this summer, but this sounds great :y:

MUNTID
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: MUNTID

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 pm

sharkey wrote:Count me in :y: ...who cares what other events are on.......we get a good weather pattern lets nail it, been planning towards this for a while, got some good input......I was preparing a team attack for this summer, but this sounds great :y:
Like yur attitude dude looks like there's gonna be a few keen yakas heading north yur way kerry for some mega action should I put a hangi down night before we hit it bro. :rock:
Pinnacle kayak's NZ
Northland proud Synit rod bender and Accurate reel screamer...
Huge thank's to our sponsor's...

Kerry

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:28 pm

MUNTID wrote:
sharkey wrote:Count me in :y: ...who cares what other events are on.......we get a good weather pattern lets nail it, been planning towards this for a while, got some good input......I was preparing a team attack for this summer, but this sounds great :y:
Like yur attitude dude looks like there's gonna be a few keen yakas heading north yur way kerry for some mega action should I put a hangi down night before we hit it bro. :rock:
We'll have to see how things pan out but that sounds like a great idea.

With such a great response I'm going to go ahead and plan this thing - should have more details in a couple of weeks...
If anyone has any ideas that will make this a better event please post.

youngpaddler
Kayak Make: prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:26 am

im keen, im nuts, but im keen
I don't exaggerate...I just remember BIG !!!

YakFisho Snapps

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm

MUNTID wrote:looks like there's gonna be a few keen yakas heading north yur way kerry for some mega action should I put a hangi down night before we hit it bro. :rock:
What a wicked idea Bros, we can set up a hangi the night before and i'm sure theres gonna be steamed crays as well for the fullas that attend from Kerry the Crayman :rock:..
Safety has to be our main priority on going out wide and playing in these big fish grounds..You gotta be comfortable being able to do big paddles in being 50kms plus if you happen to hook up plus all the other factors as well need to be considered..I remember sitting talking to a close friend and got a call that down south a yakker had hooked up that day and got towed 12kms before he lost it..
Limitless will have better knowledge as hes doing big trips outwide alot and with the risks involved...
Come in Limitless :y:..

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:06 pm

sounds like a job for a stealth 575 pro fisha :lol:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Model: 525

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:43 pm

if anyone is keen on a test paddle myself and a mate are going to the hen and chicks :sweat:
not much of a fishing trip as we will be in sit in yaks (sea bears) launching langs beach
looking for a good window in the weather so it maybe a week day and not a weekend
Stealth 525
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:00 pm

That's a big day ±45km (given you can't land there to stretch your legs :!: )

For the Aucklanders considering if they are up to it, you'll be in the right ball park with either:

Orewa beach, out to and around Tiri and return, or,
Narrow Neck, around Rakino and back.

No landing half way either ;)

Also recommend starting a stretching routine for torso and shoulders (search Youtube for kayaking yoga), and try and get some longish, steady paddles in. Concentrate on technique over speed.

I'll likely be doing my BOI rat-run this weekend (45km) if anyone wants to tag along -with occasional stops for fishing of course, but the focus will be on the paddle.
Can be either Sat or Sun to suit anyone wanting to have a crack - It'll be mostly coastline stuff so you can stop off for a breather if you need to, I'd rather you enjoy the paddle rather than feel compelled to slog through a marathon in one sitting (literally :lol: )
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Return to “Competitions and Events”

• Information