Liquid smoke + baboon

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
miniyak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400 & 440
VHF Call Sign: zmw6010

Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Not fishy related but I thought I'd ask anyway.
I make my own bacon from pork bellies and I just recently got my mits on some liquid smoke. My plan was to add it to the cure so the flavor went right through the meat but I'm really unsure how much to add.
Some websites say to brush it on liberally and others say just a few drops is more than enough.
Is there anyone here that makes bacon and has tried it?
Also has anyone tried it on fish before cooking it?
Cheers
The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

PBs still to come ..... Hopefully

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:18 pm

I prefer 'real' smoke for my bacon.
(Although I cheat by buying the cheap n nasty supermarket brand and smoking that :$ )
I have tried the Liquid Smoke, but went through it so fast didn't bother buying again.
Is quite a nice flavour though.

Like most things, apply to desired level of flavour.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:37 pm

And I'm guessing "Baboon" is a spellcheck gone wrong - otherwise, I'm rather keen to try your Asiatic arboreal ape bacon....
Hopefully not as strong as Gorilla Bacon :rofl:
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

miniyak

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Ha ha I'm told baboon is very tasty.
The liquid smoke I got is very pungent so I think It's going to be very easy to over do it
I normally cold smoke my bacon for 15 hrs but I'm hoping by using the liquid I can cut that down to just a couple of hrs and still get a similar result
The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:And I'm guessing "Baboon" is a spellcheck gone wrong - otherwise, I'm rather keen to try your Asiatic arboreal ape bacon....
Hopefully not as strong as Gorilla Bacon :rofl:
now that made me laugh!

twistedpete
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF400

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:02 am

I got some off an American gent that imported the stuff a few years back, it lasts for ages, it is really strong so take it easy to start with. He said to use about 5ml per kg but that was as a rub so I would try 5-10ml per litre of brine and see how it goes. there is no comparison to the real deal but it does add a nice flavour. great for pulled pork, rub a roast with liquid smoke and salt, place in a crock pot and cook on low for ages, remove the skin and "pull" the pork and add your favourite bbq sauce.
VIKING PF400

Mitch
Kayak Make: Pioneer

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:12 pm

just my experience,

liquid smoke flavour tends to evaporate at higher temperature.

so using it on fish could work, if:
- for example mix it with some decent (olive) oil and lightly brush on AFTER cooking but go light that stuff is stronggggg.

or

- mix a few drops to taste in one liter of water in which you have dissolved 65 gr of salt and then chilled.(great fast fish brine) submerge portions of fish to taste (say 150-200 gr) for 6 minutes, pad dry, cook. / this will firm up the meat, slightly change the texture and introduce a light smoke flavour, although nothing beats real smoke i say.

sooooo..... best way, get rid of any gas fuelled poor excuses for lazy mans bbq's and get a charcoal fuelled one with lid, and you can do most (quick)hot smoke preparations in a matter of seconds.

just cook to your liking in a pan or whatever, then place on rack and place either sawdust/chips/ whole branches, leaves, fat or whatever flavour you desire on hot coals, in goes the fish, close lid, wait for a few seconds for subtle flavour or longer for the big bash, and done....

as for your bacon, give it a go but I found it pays to go the long way, it beats all else, sorry no shortcuts for cold smoking that i know.

hope this helps,

miniyak

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:21 am

A quick update. .. the bacon came out very tasteless and unappealing so it's going in the cold smoker today.
There was a very distinct smell from the liquid smoke but that was about it.
I've had some amazing successes and some colossal failures while experimenting making bacon and this one is borderline failure so hopefully the cold snoker can save it

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

• Information