Smoking saw dust.

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Pro GT
VHF Call Sign: nil

Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 pm

As a matter of interest, I bought a 15kg bag of manuka sawdust for my cold smoker lastweek from Dunninghams butchers supply company.I got one some years ago for $64 about the cheapest I know. I store it in plastic paint buckets. The price now is $82 a bag but is still cheap for what you get. It comes in different grades fine and medium, I use medium. You can look at the different grades. It is worth looking on their website, they have all sorts of information for making food stuffs. The warehouse is quite huge. Even the Warehouse specials dont compare but you must be able handle that amount. They also sell Bradley type pellets. Have a look.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm

I usually buy my woodchip at mitre 10. The Grillman woodchip seem to be the perfect size for my UFO smoker. I've got Apple, Manuka, Pohutukawa and Oak. I'm pretty hooked on cold smoking now.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Schecter

Mon May 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Schecter wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm
I usually buy my woodchip at mitre 10. The Grillman woodchip seem to be the perfect size for my UFO smoker. I've got Apple, Manuka, Pohutukawa and Oak. I'm pretty hooked on cold smoking now.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.00.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.00.45 PM.png (349.32 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 pm

I quite like the smoker , I catch a lot of KY, I like Jack mackerel smoked , and it adds another dimension to eating your catch.
For over a decade I have been a Gardener , but now I am an Aquarist, so gardening has become a leisure activity , if you can call it that , it's still hard work! However ,I now keep the prunings off grape vines , apricot trees ,apples ,and plums and dry them ,then put them through an electric garden mulcher. I've got couple of mulchers . one of them would take your arm off, its petrol powered and does a great job. The other is a smaller electric version that is pretty much useless for big lots of garden waste ,however it works on a chipper type system whereby you feed stuff directly down onto planer type blades. small dry branches suit this cutting method, and you end up with nicely chipped wood suitable for smoking fish. These sort of mulchers are reasonably cheap, the blades are easy to replace , and above all you can tell everyone you got it for the garden. ! If you were cheeky enough you could even buy it for your wife,as a garden tool.I have done good lots of grape vine chips, plum tree prunings ( plum probably my favourite)and apple wood through mine.

Schecter

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Sounds great. I'll have to try and get my hands on some plum and grapevine chips. I finished a couple of Salmon fillets over the weekend. The cold smoked food doesn't last long in my house.

Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

• Information