How Do I Read My Fish Finder??

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Nate1

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Am having trouble navigating my Lowrance X4 Portable Fish Finder

Have attached a few photos of what I'm reading when I'm out on the water (was heading from Judges Bay to Bean Rock at the time)

Depth etc seems to be reading correctly, but the fish always seem to be on the top half of the screen no matter where I am and Snapper should be feeding on the bottom?

Fish sizes still range from small, med and lrg and have the depths on them, but I've never seen a depth below around 7m above a fish even when I'm 20m deep in water

Also, the fish go from the right side of the screen across to the left... This means they are swimming towards me??

How do you know when to stop and drop your line so you're overtop of the fish?
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:25 pm

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 300#p24757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... t=cuda+300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look at the threads above, some useful info.
first thing is to put of the fish ID and look for arches instead. You see arches when you are moving and straight lines when still. Got to adjust sensitivity and chard speed for optimum results.

I am sure almost 95% of those fish IDs on the surface are not actual fish and rather noise.

Hoe this helps
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

Nate1

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Great, thanks for the help.

Should I be pointing my tranducer straight towards the sea floor or should it be pointing forwards in the direction I am paddling?

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:23 am

Straight down.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Here ya go :y:

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... fishfinder

Turn the auto fish ID off - it'll have you chasing ghosts.
Turn sensitivity up until you start getting interference, then back it off a tad
Blobs (bait) usually don't mean fish in the bag, unless there are streaks with it (predators)
An arch is a stationary fish, may or may not go for the bait. Streaks are actively hunting fish and will (should) pounce on anything
I normally leave the zoom mode turned on as most target species are in the bottom layer
Next time you hook a fish, lead it into the cone and compare what the fish is doing with the trace it leaves behind.

Watching dolphins on the sounder beat up a school of Kahawai is awesome!! :rock:
Nate1 wrote:Snapper should be feeding on the bottom?
Nope. Snapper are predators and will frequently be found on or near the surface when hunting baitfish. One of my top 3 fish took the softbait as soon as it hit the water.
Nate1 wrote:Fish sizes still range from small, med and lrg and have the depths on them, but I've never seen a depth below around 7m

Given you have a portable, I'd suggest air bubbles or cavitation (Strictly speaking it's not a depth, but distance away from you. I think one of the links above explains it)
Nate1 wrote:Also, the fish go from the right side of the screen across to the left... This means they are swimming towards me??
Nope, that's the way the screen scrolls, new info on the right moving to history on the left.
Nate1 wrote:How do you know when to stop and drop your line so you're overtop of the fish?
The width of the cone is so narrow, generally if it's on the right hand half of the screen, the fish will see the lure/bait (unless you're fishing upper harbour :D )
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm

How have you got your Transducer mounted?
If its glued in the hull are you sure there are no bubbles in the glue, this can cause problems with inaccurate readings

tacklesharpe
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 pm

As has been said turn off the fish ID. I like to go somewhere shallow where I can see the bottom and check it over sand, mud and weed. Play with noise, gain etc.Image this is a jig head directly under the transducer bouncing up and down

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Not too many fish there though :lol:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Nate1

Wed May 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Here is a quick sketch I did up - no need to laugh at it lol

Anyway - the question I really need to know is which way to point my tranducer...

the top picture? (pointing forward)

or

the bottom picture? (pointing straight down)
Attachments
kayak.jpg
kayak.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 4694 times

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Xducer should be 'flat' ie top picture

Nate1

Wed May 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Right, thanks.

So for 'tacklesharpe's pic, he would have had to cast out infront of his yak, and dragged back in for the tranducer to be able to see his rig jumping from the bottom?

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon May 07, 2012 11:05 am

Nate1 wrote:So for 'tacklesharpe's pic, he would have had to cast out infront of his yak, and dragged back in for the tranducer to be able to see his rig jumping from the bottom?
No, your fishfinder only shows the "live" slice on the far right everything on the left is history, i.e. what has happened, once you get your fishfinder running you'll see it continually scrolls left, you are really interested in the "now" or right hand side.

Hope that helps...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Nate1

Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Mental - yes it does help. Think I just need more time on the water to get a hang of it. Cheers

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:32 am

Can anyone tell me what I am looking at here, also any good books that can help in identifying what is what on the screen ?
Attachments
image.jpg

WaterHornet
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:28 am

Ikwezinz wrote:Can anyone tell me what I am looking at here, also any good books that can help in identifying what is what on the screen ?
Those look like weed to me.. could be bait but i doubt it.

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:55 pm

There's plenty of info on You Tube on how to read fish finders.
However if you want a book I suggest you look at How to use an Echo Sounder/Fish Finder by John Adams of the Freemantle Boat School.

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 pm

in an ideal world with someone that can drive unit good soundings look like this
My furuno on the boat

Or on the Hummingbird on the yak

Each sounder is slightly different and the cost value effects how well the sounder interprets the sound it receives back. Not all sounders are created equal.

this is more the hummingbird prior to tuning settings to get it to read well
sounder.JPG
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Wow MM, what did you change? I like the difference it made!!
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks MM, I have an elite 4, but it's the tweaking like you did i struggle with, there is a lot out there in terms of videos, but there is nothing better than old hands who know exactly what they are looking at and what to adjust to improve it.

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:06 pm

I would suggest playing with your lower frequencies first and your 200 pin point later. Most people seem to run 200 because it's sharper but that's cause they don't tune it themselves. filters use minimal amounts of, and use gain and scroll speeds to get your best pictures. go out with the intention of setting the sounder up and learning its functions rather than catching fish. Some more modern gear can save sonar while out and then you can replay and muck with settings but don't know ifs as good as on the water tweaking
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

• Information