Unlucky with fishfinders - cuda 168 broke again

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 am

The fish finder had been working for a little while, but one day didn't seem to be reading depths right, I noticed this cause my mate asked me how deep my finder was reading, and he knew it was about 5 meters - it was reading 15!

The simulation mode had turned on automatically. Turns out that if there's a problem with the transducer, the ff automatically switches to simulation mode.

When I got home and had a look I'd managed to shove the cable into the head unit so disrespectfully that I had bent one of the pins on the head side of the connector, gnarled a big chunk out of the cable side of the connector, and shoved the female end of one of the contacts (a small metal cyclinder) back into the connector so it hardly connects any more. The contacts had started to corrode quite badly too.
fishfinder 013 cropped.jpg
gnarled connector
fishfinder 013 cropped.jpg (52.64 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
I managed to bend the pin back into place, and got rid of most of the corrosion.
fishfinder 012 cropped.jpg
head unit with straightened pins
fishfinder 012 cropped.jpg (109.8 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Initially the ff kept reverting to sim mode. If I turned off sim mode, it came back on after 30 seconds or so.

Now (after scraping around trying to pull the hidden socket back out) the unit seems to stay in proper mode, but I'm not sure it's working right cause it's just reading little lines (although I guess there's not much for the sonar to find in the garage). I suspect this means it's still not working cause it looks like it did when I turned sim mode off when I was on the water.
fishfinder 007 cropped.jpg
Add to this the unit's backlight is flashing on and off, and sometimes when I turn it on the unit stays on for only 1 second before restarting, I wonder if I need to do some repair work, or just give up and find a local electronics recyling centre.

I guess I would like to know if anyone can suggest a way to fix it, the problem is (according to HLD's diagrams) http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... f=31&t=778 in the "transducer ground" connection. At the moment I imagine I might end up hardwiring like in that post, but I don't want to do that, cause normally if I try something exciting and challenging like that I realise I do not have a talent for it!

The moral of this story ladies and gentlemen is to treat your ff with respect, keep the saltwater and sand away from the connections, keep the battery in a little waterproof box attached securely inside the kayak, and most importantly be nice to the little wires and connectors, cause if i have to replace this connector I have to do the whole transducer which will cost $100!!

keentogofish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish predator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2221

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

What you need to do is buy a fish finder and GPS unit they only cost around $1600, you work so hard. WE,I mean you deserve IT, The little lady won't even know, or just call it any early Christmas present as I do :y:

nige
Kayak Make: mission
Kayak Model: catch 420
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9509

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 pm

I had a similar problem with a garmin 90. I left the battery connected and electrolysis dissolved the connector on the plug.The garmin importer wouldn't help at all just wanted to sell me a new full wire-ring loom at more than a whole new unit.
So I took the plug to pieces with a hacksaw (very delicately).I found the dissolved socket inside.There was no way it was going to make any connection at all.So I got a very small drill bit, about .5mm or 1mm and very lightly drilled down the side of the connector on two sides deep enough for a good electrical connection.Then I put two small wires that was a tight fit in the holes and tapped in with a small hammer.I then cut the wire off flush.It now works really well with a good connection.
Now the tech guys would probably tell you this is the wrong way to fix it but I hate being told something cant be fixed.It's a bit of tight arse DIY.
I now disconnect my battery as soon as I hit the beach.
I hope this helps some.

skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Andrew, thanks for the encouragement, but i'll wait till i've proved i can look after my gear before i buy expensive stuff to break!

Nige, yes it does help, thanks, I might try the same with mine. I priced up some connectors and they were 50 bucks for the pair, so i'm keen for a cheaper fix, and this might be the way!

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:00 pm

skarramooch wrote:...but i'll wait till i've proved i can look after my gear before i buy expensive stuff to break!
Tis true, With concerted effort (ie neglected), a $1500 FF can be made to last as long as a $200 unit.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

keentogofish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish predator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2221

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Stu. I spay all the connection of fish finder /transducer with gun oil after been washed with soapy water, this is the same as rod and reels. :y: might be aloud to go for fish this weekend you keen?

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information