Lowrance Mark-5x into Cobra Marauder

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
glenno
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am

It's been a Good Friday! :lol: Whadaya mean someone's already got that one!
Anyway, today was the final push to install my fish finder (too windy out on the lake). Various parts of the project have been coming along from different directions at varying speeds....with fairly well everything I've done coming from ideas and discussions from this site. Thank you to all who contributed, even if you don't know it! I settled on a Lowrance Mark-5x after reading "Resolution, then colour, then chart". Don't need charts, and don't need a FF that breaks the bank...Mark-5x it is! (480 x 480 resolution). Next - shopping trip to get a cable gland, fuse holder, connector, battery and stainless bolts/nuts/washers. I decided that the screen was going on the hatch cover. The logical "nice place" would have been on the dash board, but I realised I can't reach that easily! So I decided on a hatch-cover mount. On the Marauder the original cover is about as good as a piece of gladwrap in the same place. After a couple of phone-calls I found Supply Services in Mount Maunganui who sold me a piece of cut-to-size HDPE cutting board. Good service, perfect sizing, delivered in a flash...and nice people to deal with. This stuff's not cheap, however it's built to last. It's quite heavy too. I've added over half a kilogram, FF included.
IM000000.jpg
Virgin HDPE
Next: Into the machine shop at work (at night!) to test my limited milling-machine skills. A couple of hours, and I was into it. Man, this plastic is so nice to play with.
IM000001.jpg
Drilling
IM000002.jpg
Milling - Bit close to that hole, son!
Haven't had much time on a soldering iron lately either. Got all the electrons travelling in the same direction eventually. Then, down town to buy a clickclack container...another great idea from the forum. And nearly half price on special too!!! Won't be taking it back if it doesn't work though...I drilled it to take the volts cable.
IM000003.jpg
IM000004.jpg
Bit of packing from work to keep the battery cosy.
Next, threading cables, up through the scupper hole, and bolting the transducer into place. By the way, the bracket that came with the Lowrance fitted into the inserts perfectly :whew:
IM000005.jpg
Picture is deceiving. The trannie sits inside cavity (just!)
Last check that it actually works. And it's about here that I admit it took three goes to get everything in the right order. Forgot the click clack lid the first time! etc,....
IM000006.jpg
I really hope this works!
Then it was a matter of slowly pulling everything into line, tightening the cable gland, bolting up the FF bracket, putting the battery box in place and kind of tidying up. It's not completely finished. I've got some stick-on foam to get a seal around the lid, however I might hinge the hatch cover yet, if I can find appropriate hinging...so the foam can wait, for now.
IM000007.jpg
IM000009.jpg
The clickclack box is a perfect fit!!
IM000010.jpg
Look at THAT!!!
And finally..still pinching ideas!! :rock: You can see in the last pic, I have a bit of loose cable between the scupper and the FF bracket/cable gland. Has anybody got any ideas for fixing it ...probably up out of the foot well, and probably not permanently fixed to the hatch cover. Some small clips that the cable can be slipped out of easily would be the go. Anybody seen something like that??
The Edge... there is no easy way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over it.

Cobra Marauder
Rainbow Trout - 4.32 lbs (1.959 kgs)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:33 am

Very slick.

Have you got enough meat left in the side of the lid to mill a slot that the cable can friction fit into?
Or possibly run cable down through front scupper and under hull?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:44 am

very nice install..i had very good screen resuilts with with my mark 5x :y:...

skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:15 am

Looks like a beautiful job! Well done :y:

kai-yak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Nice and tidy, I was too lazy to make my own board...lol
well done

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Very slick !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 am

Very Nice 8)
Man I wish I had access to a milling machine and was competent enough to make things like this!
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 am

Very slick and nicely done :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Kiwi K
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Old Town Predator 13

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

:clap:

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3

keentogofish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish predator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2221

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Very nice tidy job :y: :y:

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Wed May 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Wow. I'm impressed. I've also got a marauder and at some point will install a fish finder. A couple of questions. Do you think I could do what you've done to that plastic cover with a router? And have you hinged it or secured it in any way? And is it waterproof? Thanks

glenno
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Fritter, you'd need the board to be rock-sold anchored, unable to move in any way, and be able to hold the router very firmly. Personally, I think it's a big ask. If you do give it a go, make sure your cutting tool/bit is razor sharp, to cut down as much drag as poss. Hinged?? I have a loop of bungy around the existing anchor buttons, and over the lid. Doesn't seem necessary to hinge it. I do have some stick-on foam to stick in the channel, but even that seems unnecessary. As a lid it keeps things waterproof, but it must be remembered, being on Lake Taupo I'm not chugging out through waves...although I do end up in some short sharp chop from time to time.
The Edge... there is no easy way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over it.

Cobra Marauder
Rainbow Trout - 4.32 lbs (1.959 kgs)

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Fri May 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks Glenno.

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information