Faulty FF, or just me?

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Post Reply
TBreezy
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey guys. Can anyone confirm that this is a faulty unit? It's chopping and changing between depths and lagging on screen. Won't show a depth reading.

It's 3 months old and I have used it maybe 4 times. It was working great to begin with. In the last month I haven't used it at all but noticed this on Tuesday. Thought it was a flat battery, but running another test tonight yields the same result.

Lowrance Hook 3x. I did the transducer mounting with silicone. Have pulled it out and there's nothing weird about the mount.

I have googled but there's not a hell of a lot of info to find on this model and can't even find instructions for a hard/soft reset. I did discover a lot of people have problems with Lowrance units though.

Perhaps it's due to the fact that it is a cheap unit, which sucks because for some of us, that's our only price range.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with other units? Or issues with this particular unit?

Thanks guys.
ff.JPG

User avatar
Hairy Little Dwarf
Moderator
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 am

Try holding the + and - keys while powering up, then release after a couple of seconds, may have to try different timings , eg instant, 1s, 2s etc
Wild guess based on my Lowrance.

Can you try it on someone elses rig?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

TBreezy
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:04 am

Cool, will do. Thanks.

I don’t know anyone else with a transducer that I could try it out on unfortunately.

I have emailed the place I bought it from so I guess I’ll wait to see what they say.

Looks like I’ll be fishing old school this weekend!

User avatar
Hairy Little Dwarf
Moderator
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:18 am

At least you've still got the warranty to fall back on. :y:
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

User avatar
Hainesy
Moderator
Posts: 8296
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196
Location: West Harbour

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:53 am

Drop Pointloader here on the Forum a message as he might be able to offer some suggestions
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Image
Image

User avatar
woodstock
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:41 am
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400
Location: Tindalls bay

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 am

Check if transducer making ticking sound if not could be faulty.If ticking I would try going out for paddle to about 10 meters and put transducer in water to see if will works (you could have air bubbles in silicone)
If still not working return it and buy a new hook2 4 due in stores December

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk


TBreezy
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

woodstock wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 am
Check if transducer making ticking sound if not could be faulty.If ticking I would try going out for paddle to about 10 meters and put transducer in water to see if will works (you could have air bubbles in silicone)
If still not working return it and buy a new hook2 4 due in stores December

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
No ticking. I reckon it's faulty. I have ripped everything out and put it back in the box to send it back. Didn't see any air bubbles in the silicone so glad I didn't f*#k that up!

You reckon those new ones are better?

User avatar
woodstock
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:41 am
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400
Location: Tindalls bay

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm

TBreezy wrote:
woodstock wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 am
Check if transducer making ticking sound if not could be faulty.If ticking I would try going out for paddle to about 10 meters and put transducer in water to see if will works (you could have air bubbles in silicone)
If still not working return it and buy a new hook2 4 due in stores December

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
No ticking. I reckon it's faulty. I have ripped everything out and put it back in the box to send it back. Didn't see any air bubbles in the silicone so glad I didn't f*#k that up!

You reckon those new ones are better?
Yes hook2 4x better unit or go with garmin striker 4

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk


TBreezy
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks guys.

dedant
Posts: 1567
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 pm
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052
Location: West Auckland

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:10 am

I’ve taken my 7X HOOK2 off the stealth before I sold it due to the thing showing the screen like that. Even tried it off the wharf with the transducer on a stick , no better. It’s never worked properly since the first time I used it. Marine Deals have $600 off me for nothing but an expensive box that is sitting on a shelf. I’ll never buy a lowrance again, and not from Marine Deals either, they’ve looked at it once and said there was nothing wrong,but I did have to replace the power cable after the fourth time out with it.
Image

Glass is Class.. dedant

User avatar
sk8e8
Posts: 5253
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 am
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King
Location: South Auckland

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 pm

dedant wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:10 am
I’ve taken my 7X HOOK2 off the stealth before I sold it due to the thing showing the screen like that. Even tried it off the wharf with the transducer on a stick , no better. It’s never worked properly since the first time I used it. Marine Deals have $600 off me for nothing but an expensive box that is sitting on a shelf. I’ll never buy a lowrance again, and not from Marine Deals either, they’ve looked at it once and said there was nothing wrong,but I did have to replace the power cable after the fourth time out with it.
I'm not running a Lowrance at the moment, but I always found their service and support excellent, even outside of warranty.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Post Reply

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests