How do I add a switch?

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Badger
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm a complete numpty when it comes to electrics so after some guidance please.

I have the twin tackle pod from Viking, the one with the little pump in the front compartment. It comes with a red and black lead running from the pump, into the rear compartment where it has female spade style connectors attached which are then just plugged straight onto the battery terminals.

So if you want to have the pump running you have to have the leads attached to the battery and pull one off when you want to turn it off. Not the end of the world but I would like add a waterproof switch to the outside of the pod so that I can use that to power up and down the pump without having to open the lid and faff with the leads on the battery all the time.

Anyone able to provide photos or an explanation as to how I install one cheers?

Snap 4T
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm not an expert but if I do it, I would do it this way.

Go to Jaycar or RS and look for 12v switches like this but IP rated and 3 ways
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/12v-illuminate ... d/p/ST0580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(above link just a sample of the switch and its not the actual switch/waterproof)

Not sure how big if your battery but I think 10A switch its more than enough
then wire them up like attached sketch.

option 1 for pump
option 2 for Fish finder
option 3 when you want everything OFF.

That's how I would do it but I'm sure there are many different way and method to do it

all the best.
Attachments
20170213_174036_resized.jpg

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Snap 4T's drawing looks pretty complicated (sorry Bobby) and might make sense if you're connecting both the pump and your FF to the same battery. However, if you're just connecting the pump to a battery on it's own, then I'd keep it simple with a 2-prong switch.

Like this, although I'm sure on Jaycar or similar sites you'll find something more waterproof
https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/ ... l/details/
Any 2-prong (aka 2-terminal or 2-pin) 12v waterproof switch that'll handle 10A or more. Your pump should say what its maximum amp draw is, but should be much less than 10A - so a 10A switch should be safe.

Then just cut your red wire somewhere in the middle, connect one end (where you've cut it) to one prong (terminal) on the switch and the other end to the other prong. Basically you just add the switch to the middle of your red wire. That's all you have to change - add the switch to the middle of the red wire - the other ends of both wires remain where they are (one end to the battery and one end to the pump). Up to you how you expose that switch to the outside of the pod and how you keep the back side dry or if you think the back might get exposed to water, get a completely sealed switch.
FYI, I always use the red wire, but it doesn't matter whether your switch is on the red or black wire, it just needs to interrupt the circuit.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:02 am

Just to clarify: -

Are you running a pump and a fish-finder or just a pump?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Cheers for the info fellas! Yeah trying to keep things simple really.

Don't usually use this tackle pod as i don't live bait often but when I do, I run a fish finder off one battery and the pump runs off another. Both batteries are located in the front compartment.

The on/off switch on the fish finder obviously works as my 'switch' for that device but I'd like to add a switch so that I can turn the pump on and off as I like. Preference would be to keep both units separate with their own battery.

I was going to just mount the switch on the side of the pod rather than the lid.
IMG_2153.jpg
IMG_2152.jpg

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 am

For a simple cheap solution I would go to Burnsco or similar and get a BEP toggle switch with a water proof boot. Drill a hole where you want the switch and install it.

It would be sensible to have an in-line fuse on the positive lead from the battery to the switch. The fuse should be sized to protect the cable while allowing the motor to run normally without tripping.

The capacity of the cable in amps should be printed on it.

A tidier but more expensive option would be a push button switch with in built circuit breaker

http://www.bocatechinc.com/marine-produ ... wer-switch
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information