Humminbird Side Imaging Transducer - Viking Reload Tackle Pod Mount

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:11 pm

After a long of thinking and looking, I recently made the big call to make a FF upgrade and so moved from my 5 year old Lowrance Elite 5 to a new Humminbird Helix 7 with side imaging.
Now I won't bore you with the full installation but thought there might be some interest in how I did the transducer mount.
The trick with SI is that the transducer has to have at least the bottom half of it with an uninterrupted view because as the name suggests it sends its imaging beam out side ways as opposed to the normal "straight down" cone image.
This does mean that the transducer does end up sitting slightly below the keel line of the yak......
I was a little concerned about relying entirely on the threaded rod to support the transducer so I've basically fiddled around with a spacer and got an optimal length where the transducer sits.
The biggest issue I ran into was that the leading edge of the transducer doesn't clear the back edge of the front of the transducer scupper hole in the tackle pod ( make sense ?) so I had to take to the Pod with a file to get some clearance but as I didn't want to trim too much ( don't know how thick the plastic is through there) I've ended up with the transducer prob sitting marginally lower than I'd ideally like...

So here's a few pics to show what i did..
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:50 pm

How did it go mate ?

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:19 pm

awondering wrote:How did it go mate ?

Well it works !... Definitely a lot of technology that's for sure.... I can see why they have whole FB and Forums devoted to Side Imaging. It's going to take a while to get used to it but it's pretty good so far !
At the end of the day, I still have to catch the fish cos it doesn't do that for me !

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Hainesy wrote:
awondering wrote:How did it go mate ?

Well it works !... Definitely a lot of technology that's for sure.... I can see why they have whole FB and Forums devoted to Side Imaging. It's going to take a while to get used to it but it's pretty good so far !
At the end of the day, I still have to catch the fish cos it doesn't do that for me !
Yer fair call, but some need a lot of help aye...

Donk
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra
VHF Call Sign: Donk

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Screen Shots?

• Information