Side scan for P400

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:36 am

I'm looking at permanently mounting my HDS-7 in the boat, which means I need something dedicated for the P400.

I would really like to try side scan and I would appreciate advice from anyone who has fitted side scan to their P400.

I guess the first question is what transducers will fit the P400 transducer scupper?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Mr X

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 am

I have mounted my HDS 7 on my reload but i am running an Airmar P66 transducer so no side scan...

I would also like to know which sidescan transducer would fit in the reload scupper. Then again, i think guessing here) the angle/degrees of the sonar waves would require the sidescan transducer to protrude, which is not ideal on the kayak.

MikeAqua

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Reload scupper must be bigger. The P66 would need surgery to fit in the P400 scupper.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Mr X

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm

I had to "modify" the P66 to make it fit :rock:

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Side scan has to sit proud of the sides by the depth of the transducer for it to work fully...
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Mr X

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:11 pm

MadMike wrote:Side scan has to sit proud of the sides by the depth of the transducer for it to work fully...
I thought this would be the case.

IMO, i think side scan is worth more to boats than to kayaks. It gives boats the ability to fish shallower areas and a bit more stealth because they dont have to drive/drift over the fish. Kayaks can already fish the shallows and can be super stealthy. So the only real benefit to kayaks is a "bigger view" of where fish is with one pass/drift. But hey, i could be making all of this up :rofl:

MadMike

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:57 am

Don't underestimate the value to a Kayaker, it works phenomenally well because of the slower speeds a yak is moving at... valuable tool for sure...
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

MikeAqua

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:58 am

Mr X wrote:
MadMike wrote:Side scan has to sit proud of the sides by the depth of the transducer for it to work fully...
I thought this would be the case.

IMO, i think side scan is worth more to boats than to kayaks. It gives boats the ability to fish shallower areas and a bit more stealth because they dont have to drive/drift over the fish. Kayaks can already fish the shallows and can be super stealthy. So the only real benefit to kayaks is a "bigger view" of where fish is with one pass/drift. But hey, i could be making all of this up :rofl:
In my neck of the woods if you find rippled seabed, you find gurnard. Gurnard are one of favourite fish to eat That's why I want side scan. I can devise a cunning plan to lower and raise it a little. What's is hard to find is manufacturer info on the dimensions of transducers. I guess length is the most important one.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

MadMike

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:42 pm

PM Tappy mate, he had a good play with what fit and what doesn't in the Vikings

Nemesis
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:27 pm

The side scan transducer won't fit in the scupper of a 400, they are big beasts, and as Mike points out need to be clear of the hull to work well. They have a lobed beam to either side, instead of the more normal cone.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:11 pm

I think I am right in saying after going down this road a while ago that the Hummers SI will fit...

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:58 pm

The Humminbird SI transducer fits in the reload tackle top scupper.... I'll put up a thread showing how I did my mount

MikeAqua

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:44 am

Nemesis wrote:The side scan transducer won't fit in the scupper of a 400, they are big beasts, and as Mike points out need to be clear of the hull to work well. They have a lobed beam to either side, instead of the more normal cone.
I have cunning plan for being able to raise and lower a side-scan transducer from inside the yak, but it still has to fit the pocket to be retrievable.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

• Information