Cleaning Lowrance Elite 5 screen

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Flounder
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9779

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Has anyone got suggestions what you can use to clean screens with our damaging the coating. I have searched the net and a lot suggest a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Does anyone know of a commercial product that can be purchased here to clean the screen. I have tried using a LCD screen wipe but it leave a lot of water type marks. I have located in a states a commercial product call peregrine 250 which is sold in a pack with cloths specifically for screen fish finer screen. Is there a similar product sold here that anyone knows about.
Prowler Elite(sold)
Profish 400
Reload
ZMW9779

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:18 pm

I use Pedge it works a treat and helps repel water as well

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:36 pm

I put a cut down iPad screen protector over my Elite 5 and then you can clean it with anything you like !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:48 pm

My method (also works for $25,000 bits of lab optics).

In all seriousness:
Wash hands well with a bit of dish liquid added
Rinse well
Shake hands dry (don't use towel or cloth to dry as it may contain abrasive particles)
Touch one fingertip to the top of the washing up liquid spout. This should transfer enough to do the job.
With a very light stream of water flowing over the screen, just enough to give a constant stream of clean water, gently wash screen with fingertip. Only enough pressure to just feel the screen, almost not touching it if you get my drift.
Once the screen has been done, again use just enough water to remove any bubbles, stand on edge to allow the water to run off.

Done right, there should be just enough dish liquid left to allow the water to wet out and run off in a continuous film.
Beading water means not enough dish liquid remained.

Been using this method on my finders since the mid 2000's and the last 2 years on a non-reflective coated screen with no detriment.
However, use this at your own risk - particularly if you have very calloused fingers, or work with metals or other abrasive materials that can get embedded in the skin.

HLD
Muppet Labs
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Rob
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:30 pm

I use a lens cleaning kit from an optometrist.

The kit comes housed in a solid plastic container, with a small bottle (20ml) of cleaning fluid and a wiping cloth.
Not sure of the cost, Wee Wifey was a Dispensing optician before we had children and the kit dates from then (10 years old)

• Information