Best VHF to buy...

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Lots using Uniden, cobra and a few using Icom, had a Uniden thought it was a very god unit(still do), BUT after getting the Icom, I would suggest the icom is a better unit to date, The cobra sold by many, I know a couple of techno geeks in here had them and have had issues, so if they couldn't sort the problem, by memory was a Bluetooth issue, someone like me who cant start a dvd player has no chance, simple and reliable is good by me :|

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:47 pm

I have a uniden and was listening to Tuaranga harbour radio on Wednsday when out in the Firth, have a Cobra as well but haven't tried it yet.

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Hairy_Snappa
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Just picked up a standard horizon hx290 this week. Seems to be a decent unit. Any one got any opinions?

chip'n
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMS9238

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:17 am

If you on fb, search for cheapboats and fishing gear, there is a cobra hh500flt bt eu listed this morning for $150. Dale

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:32 am

poodle wrote:What are most of you using?
Handheld, even those with hardwired systems often carry a handheld as well, attach the handheld to your PFD (clip it on, put it in a pocket, etc) then when you need it most - such a a rescue situation - you have it on you and not the kayak - the kayak can't make the call to the Coastguard..!

It's not a toss up between a handheld and a fixed system, get the handheld, then you can look at adding a fixed system to your kayak later.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 am

poodle wrote:On the same topic, am I better off with a handheld or boat mounted? I mainly fish within a couple of kms of shore but have been told that a 5kw handheld is only good for a km or so off shore.
I agree with Mental, always start with a handheld clipped to your person, then consider whether you need the extra performance of a more powerful fixed mount VHF.

At first glance the pricing of some fixed mount VHF's can look appealing, but antenna's are purchased seperately (not included in the price), power consumption goes up (you'll need more battery capacity to power sounder and VHF), and maintenance is required for the VHF, all connections, and the antenna to remain reliable. This isn't hard, but you can't just squirt with a hose and forget it, and expect it to remain reliable.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Andy2014
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Cabo

Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:08 pm

I recently got a 6w uniden. Was one of the pricier models $300+ but works great and has good battery life. Btw I also turtled with the missus in our tandem and also knackered my iPhone 5. Front button was poked so Siri would spark up randomly at inconvenient times. Anyway dr mobiles in takapuna fixed it for $200 or so. Have a lifeproof case now.

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

Andy2014 wrote:I recently got a 6w uniden. Was one of the pricier models $300+ but works great and has good battery life. Btw I also turtled with the missus in our tandem and also knackered my iPhone 5. Front button was poked so Siri would spark up randomly at inconvenient times. Anyway dr mobiles in takapuna fixed it for $200 or so. Have a lifeproof case now.
I have been talking to the very friendly and knowledgeable guy at navcom and he absolutely rates ICOM. He is busy changing all the surf lifesaving clubs in otago from cobra to ICOM.
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:14 pm

awondering wrote:Lots using Uniden, cobra and a few using Icom, had a Uniden thought it was a very god unit(still do), BUT after getting the Icom, I would suggest the icom is a better unit to date, The cobra sold by many, I know a couple of techno geeks in here had them and have had issues, so if they couldn't sort the problem, by memory was a Bluetooth issue, someone like me who cant start a dvd player has no chance, simple and reliable is good by me :|
Which Icom unit do you have ?

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:08 pm

I think it's the M24 mate

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information