Prowler 13 - Transducer Compatible Scupper

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Roath

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 am

Hey Guys

Got my first Kayak delivered this morning and one of the first things I want to do is to transfer the fishfinder from the boat into it.
I heard about the 'Transducer Compatible Scupper' , but I don't think this Prowler has one. :swear:

Which Scupper 'hole' has this. I'm guessing I would see it pretty obviously! :lol:

I guess I now have to work out another way of installing the Transducer .. ;(

Any suggestions on the best approach.. I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere.. but I can't find a clear picture of a 'Transducer Compatible Scupper' in a Prowler 13 anywhere..

Cheers

Rob

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:29 am

If you have one (not sure if/when the NZ made P13 didn't have a transducer scupper) it's in the center between the rod holder mount and the tackle box >
5561016.jpg
5561016.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
And here's what it looks like underneath with the transducer fitted using the fitting kit >
4086333.jpg
4086333.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
If you haven't got one then your option is an in hull install glueing the transducer to the inside of the hull using something like Sellys AllClear.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Roath

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:10 am

Wow, thanks Mental .. that's exactly what I needed :clap:

Mine doesn't have the scupper hole.. bugga. That's something I should have checked before buying.

You're not the only one to say that you thought all Prowler 13's had them. This boats a pretty old one.

I read that glueing them to the inside is not a good option. ( but if its my only option..)
I see HLD attached one to the keel of on old Yak. Maybe I will explore that as long as it doesn't get in the way of the rudder.

I think there will be a few 'blind' fishing trips coming up 8)
Attachments
20140409_095827[1].jpg
No Scupper :(

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Shoot thru a plastic hull is common. I had one on my last yak, IMHO it did not impact what I saw on the screen. I'd go for it and All Clear it inside the hull.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Yes +1 for the in hull install, I've been there done that with the stern install - never again...

My old 798 install on an Elite 4.5 from 2009 > http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 865&p=6838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Mental wrote:Yes +1 for the in hull install, I've been there done that with the stern install - never again...

My old 798 install on an Elite 4.5 from 2009 > http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 865&p=6838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
x2, although I've never done a stern install, I also wouldn't try it. It's nice having it in front of you, so you know the sign you see is under than yak, not 5m behind
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Like the guys above, I've used externally bracketed transducers - they're prone to getting knocked and are great line traps! I'd rather use a "through-hull" mount using a wet box or Selly's All Clear. There are signal losses (loss of sensitivity) but even reasonably basic late generation sounders are good at cleaning up the signal giving usable performance.

Another option I've used on several occasions is to mount an "in-hull" transducer. Boring a 50mm hole in the bottom of a brand new kayak usually does a paddlers head in :o but the results are fantastic and maximise the performance of the sounder if you're looking for cutting edge results.

Here's surgery happening on Milkey's old Profish 440:
Attachments
IMG_2835_web.jpg
Boring the hole...
IMG_2839_web.jpg
OMG, what have you done...
IMG_2843_web.jpg
Transducer fitted, just need to remove the warning sticker and it's ready to go...
ThruHullInside_1_1.jpg
This is what it looks like on the inside, in this case a Perception Swing (I couldn't get a shot of the inside of Milkey's installation)
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:37 pm

The stern on the P13 doesn't lend itself to a stern install like the Swing did - mostly due to ruddery bits.
I'd go for an in hull mount, plenty of how to's in the forum :y:

Looks nice, have the kids let you sit in it yet? :lol:
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

iwill2
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra4.3/p13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3154

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:50 pm

I have a one of the first nz made p13s without the scupper . I bought it new about 2006 and stuck the transducer in with clear araldite, never been a problem, still there today.
Where theres a WILL there's a way
-PROWLER ULTRA 4.3--PROWLER 13-

Roath

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice , photos and feedback.

You will be pleased to know that stern mount is off the list ;)

So I spent the evening watching videos and guides etc of in hull installs.

Love the idea of the 'through' hull transducer ( I love drilling holes in things ! :P ), but not worth buying one for my old FF.

I'll get brave sooner than later and give it a go :geek:

Rob

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information