Ping Speed - when to use fast vs slow

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
gibro712
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

Lots of stuff I read, people always prefer fast ping speed e.g. more returns, moving at faster speeds etc. This got me thinking.

In what applications is there a clear advantage to use slow ping speeds on your sounder?
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027
AndrewRawlingson

I'm not an expert, but my take on it is that all a slower speed does is make you think you are over fish/structure when in reality, they are long gone :D

To my mind, faster is more like real time which is better.
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Like Andrew says, fast ping gives a better representation and those tasty eyebrows hovering over the bottom.

I can't really think of an application where you'd use slow ping, possibly some USA lake fishing technique?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
gibro712
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

I'll just add to this.

Over the weekend I was doing a bit of jigging and there were times where I counted more than 10 boats jigging the same structure and drift, all in close proximity to each other.

I noticed that I began to get lines in my sonar on 200kHz. I thought bugger, perhaps I've made a hash of my transducer install, but it had been working fine until that point? I then switched over to 83kHz and the lines of interferance dissapeared.

Paddling back home the end of the day these interference lines on my 200kHz dissapeared along with the boats and the reef we were fishing.

I suspect that I was getting interference from the other transducers from other boaties on the reef.

I've since looked up my manual and it refers to ping speed adjustments helping to reduce interference from other transducers.

This would be handy for those wishing to keep stay on your prefered frequency while reducing the noise from other transducers by adjusting the rate of pings. Next time I encounter this situation I'll play with my ping speed and report back if I can confirm it.

Happy fishing
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”